“Easter Break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Algarve Hotel

You added Sheraton Algarve Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Algarve Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Praia Da Felesia, Apartado P.O. Box 644, Albufeira 8200-909, Portugal   |
Ranked #11 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
St Albans
“Easter Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Enjoyable Easter break spent at the Sheraton Algarve. Room was spacious and comfortable with a separate seating area and a nice view towards the sea, but not really a sea view. Balcony was large and the design made it feel safe so if you had young children they could be outside. It was cleaned to a high standard each day and décor of a good standard. Facilities outside the room include nice grounds, pools, and beach and bars restaurants. We did not use the outside pools but these looked clean and well maintained. We did however use the indoor pool after 730pm and this was very relaxing. The grounds were lovely to walk round and we took the train to take a tour. When you see the size of the resort from the train you realise why it never felt crowded. Sun beds were good quality and comfortable and there was never a problem of getting a bed or clean beach towels. Also in the grounds there was a nice pond/waterfall feature that we walked along and saw lots of frogs. It was a pity there had been a bad storm as it meant the beach bar was closed so we didn’t use the beach other than for a morning walk, but there were people down on the beach and it was clean and staffed so safe. Breakfast was excellent with good choices on offer and attentive service and had the option of sitting outside. We also used the outside restaurant at lunch time and as the portions were quite large we asked to share a club sandwich and it came to us presented as if we had ordered our own which was nice touch. We also used the bar inside for tapas on a couple of nights. Good small selection and tasty. The other bar we used was the cliff top bar at the end of the day. Nice views and again service, with snacks readily replenished. Yes drinks are expensive, but that is what you expect from a hotel of this quality and this level of service. There is a shop opposite where you can purchase a variety of items if needed from toiletries to food and drink. Would stay again

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
pinecliffsAlbufeira, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Algarve Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your Easter break at our Hotel. We are glad to learn that you enjoyed the room, the balcony with the seaview, the cleanliness and the facilities. Thank you for your compliments on the well maintained pools, the grounds, the breakfast and on the breathtaking views from the cliffs.

We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Kindly,

Guest Relations Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Leeds, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This is without question the hardest trip advisor review I have ever written as our experience resembled the western; the good, the bad and the ugly.

I will try and be brief but there are a lot of areas to cover.

This was a special trip for us as I was planning on celebrating my 40th birthday away with my wife and daughter. We have spent almost 100 nights in Sheraton Hotels over the past few years but not in Portugal, although I have been quite a lot to play golf and really like the country so if felt like a great combination.

The rooms
First I have to admit I made a mistake as previously being a SPG member has resulted in getting a free room upgrade so I booked the basic 'resort' room expecting a better one. Key learning point as this is in fact a view of a car park in front of the hotel's main reception.

I did raise the somewhat misleading description at reception and was offered an upgrade for an additional 30 euros a day which gave me a room of another side of the building and would have given us no evening sun on the balcony so we declined.

The room itself is very small and dated, I would like to say clean but quite frankly it wasn't. I enclose a couple of pictures of the layers of dust. Everything was tired, water damage on the ceiling, marks on the paintwork, light bulbs not working etc. All ok if you are staying in a travel lodge for £39 a night but not €360 a night.

We informed them before that we would need a bed for our daughter and 48 hours after booking we got a nice email asking my daughter's age so they provide an appropriately sized one. We are somewhat disappointed to find one that a small toddler could fit in not a normal sized 8 year old. A call to reception and this was resolved.

Our biggest complaint about the rooms was the noise which peaked one night when a series of drunken wedding guests (more on this later) who couldn't afford to stay at the hotel were waiting for a taxi. The noise and 'fruity' language woke up our family and yep you guessed it resulted in another call to reception at 2.30am. In all fairness it did stop shortly after my call more through the arrival of a taxi than outstanding customer service.

I also raised this the following morning with reception (along with a more serious issue) and did receive a very small bottle of port and some Portuguese cakes by way of an apology. Nice but hardly makes up for a dreadful night’s sleep and all of us feeling terrible the following day.

The restaurants on their own way are representative of the whole experience; excellent, confusing and contradictory.

The easy bit is the breakfast which is excellent with a great selection, the fresh fruit being by far the best. The service apart from one day when half the staff failed to appear was outstanding. The evening buffet was overpriced and offered a very limited selection compared to other Sheraton's we've stayed at. The Corda cafe great for snack type food and good value. The piri piri restaurant was good and the ribs amazing. The Pescador seafood/fish restaurant good but expensive when compared to what was available locally but outstanding customer service. The highlight was the beach bar which does require booking and offers a great setting with great food. It is, as the name suggests right on the beach front. There is one major negative....don't expect to have access to this every night as 'weddings' have the option to use this as a private function. Wonderful for the bride and groom, appalling for the poor guest who would like to eat there. For a plan B try golfinio's for lunch, about 100m away and half the price.

We also ate lunch by the pool on our loungers a lot, really good and can recommend the octopus salad - amazing.

The biggest problem with all these was it is clear to all the staff what they are and where they are but to a guest it is very confusing.

The resort
This is even more amazing, traditionally your hotel has a picture taken from the optimum angle to create a picture perfect postcard view. All the generic images show the front of the hotel which is not the best, and in fact probably the worst. The resort is really really good but again confusing as apartments, golf apartments, villas etc.

There's a nice little 9 hole golf course, golf centre, tennis academy, loads of pools with masses of loungers. A children's play area, and access to the beach via an elevator with your own loungers etc.

The staff
The staff are very attentive and keen to help. At this point I hand over to my daughter...

So as my dad just said the staff are lovely especially Lilliana. When we had the noisy guests Lilliana sent up some port and some Portuguese cakes (aka yum). I loved the cakes so much I wanted to show some gratitude so I sent a letter saying thank you which I posted to reception. In a few days’ time after sending it there was a phone call saying thank you and I very much appreciated it.

We really like the resort and especially the staff so are going back but instead will be staying at one of the golf apartments which we asked to look at and are more in line with Sheraton standards of excellence.

I have since found out from a taxi driver that the hotel is 25 years old and due a major refurbishment. With all of this in mind I personally would not recommend a stay here to anyone. Unless you can get a deal for 120 euros a night which is about the norm for a 3 star on the Algarve. If you want a better hotel, try the Conrad or stay in an apartment. Yes it's slightly more but looks worth every penny.

I raised all of these issues with the reception and gave them the opportunity to address, the offer of a small bottle of port and a few Portuguese cakes was nice but cost circa €10. So I write this openly and honestly and intend to share with the senior management as I am sure they will be at best embarrassed and worst ashamed.

I also intend to seek a significant goodwill gesture from Sheraton to reflect the impact on my family of a very special occasion.

Please email me if you have any questions.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to sare your feedback on TripAdvisor, which we genuinely appreciate.

As requested, we have contacted you in order to discuss the several points raised and we appreciate the opportunity to personally address your concerns.

Kind regards,

Ski Municipality, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Very good service from excellent staff. The staff did all they could to provide my family ( kids 7-11-12 years) with super and friendly service. Rooms, Scenery, location, food - very good. The price is too high. will come back one day :) thx.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us and letting us spoil you.

Your kind words on our associates show us that we were able to keep our core values. We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed so much the location, the setting and the rooms.

We hope to welcome you back to experience some more indigenous and unique experiences.

Warm Regards,

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Would have expected a higher standard in this price range. The first apartment we got was out dated and wear was dominating the impression. For an extra charge of 25 Euros a night we got a much better apartment.Stay clear of the apartment by the gate, ask for some of the apartment close to the reception area, or go for the more pricy ones in the newer functionalist housing area.

Great park and pool areas. A must try is the sun set bar by the cliffs.

Room Tip: Stay clear of the apartment by the gate, ask for some of the apartment close to the reception area...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. We do regret to learn that we were not able to exceed your best expectations. Your remarks are very important to us and were promptly shared with the Management Team for their consideration.

Once again please accept our sincere apologies and we hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again here at our property.

Best Regards,

lisbon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This is truly a great hotel with perfect location on a cliff above the beach, teh setting is just magnificent. You can walk to the beach or stay by the 2 swimming pools. The atmosphere is relaxing and the staff very friendly. Just park the car and stay there.

Room Tip: If you can afford get a seaview room
Green Features: My onçy negative remnarks regards the lack of sand on the beach that should be properly addressed
Dear Guest,

We are glad to know that you enjoyed the stay at Sheraton Algarve Hotel and we would like thank you for posting your kind words on TripAdvisor regarding our magnificent setting.

We are very happy with the compliments on our associates friendliness and we are glad to learn that you could relax. We appreciate your kind words and we would like to explain you that our beach suffered the effects of a big storm that took the sand away. We have tried to fix our beach and we did the best we could as we are under the laws of the maritime authority. We understand your remark and we appreciate and promptly shared with our Management Team for their consideration.

Thank you so much and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Best Wishes,

Glasgow<Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This hotel is what it says on the label FIVE STAR. This was the forst time myself and my wife had stayed at this hotel and we were not let down by its appearance, cleanliness, friendliness of staff and the rooms etc. We loved it from the moment we arrived. The reception staff were very friendly and very helpful.As were the other staff. Nothing was a bother for them and this got us off to a great start. We got a room that overlooked the garden It was a fabulous room big and spacious. The only down was there were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room. This would have been even better and something the hotel should take into consideration. The grounds and pools were wonderful as was the views over the cliff tops to the Atlantic. The beach was also well laid out they even had staff to take you to a vacant bed. The only thing was the wind was a bit blowey and sand got everywhere but no matter wonderful experience. The beds in the grounds were softer and more comfortable. The Breakfast was well worth the money spent. We were not so enthralled about the dinner buffet and felt that it was a bit pricey for what you got. We found an italian retaraunt just outside the hotel which served wonderful pizza and italian meals that did not cost the earth. But that was just down to personal taste. It is a hotel I could very easily return to and be very happy. Well done the staff.....

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
pinecliffsAlbufeira, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Algarve Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are thrilled with your review and we would like to thank you for posting your experience on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your compliments on our associates and for your 5 star rating. It is very important to receive such a great review as it motivates us to keep work on our core values and show us our guest`s recognition. Thank you once again for your kindliness.

Regarding your remarks about the coffee maker we do not provide in the rooms indeed but we have a room service that can provide you under request. However we highly value your remarks and promptly shared with the Management Team for their consideration.

We look forward to welcome you back on our property where you can live indigenous and unique experiences.

Kindly,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We were on a Portugal trip with my girlfriend and stayed (or actually still staying as it us our last day) in this hotel for 10 days. We had a great room - quite spacious, perfect bed, nice bathroom. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms and the whole territory are very clean. Great breakfast with a great choice of delicious local products (try orange jam - it's to die for, we bought three cans!). The location is enormous - beautiful pines on orange cliffs. On the first day I wrote to my friends that we've found the paradise... However, nothing is perfect in this world. We found three problems of this almost perfect hotel:
1. Extremely overpriced bars and restaurants!!! A beer for EUR 7 at the beach bar?! Come on guys!!! What's wrong?! I mean people do buy it, but everyone is disappointed with the pricing! First evening we had a dinner at Piri-Piri steakhouse. One salad to share, two steaks (the meat was nice but definitely overcooked) and a bottle of wine for EUR 140?!?! Hm... Work on pricing! Please!
2. Internet!!!!! I do expect that when I pay almost EUR 350 per night with bed and breakfast there should be free wi-fi in the room... But no! It costs... tadaaaa.... EUR 18 per day for three devices with such a low speed that you can die before you watch a video!!!! Guys! I pay that much per month at home and have a really high-speed connection!!!
3. Annoying room service!!! We we're lying in bed (not sleeping if you know what I mean) at 8.45 p.m. suddenly someone knocked on the door. I said "one minute", but the door was already open and the room service lady offered me a chocolate!!! :))))) At 8.45 p.m. Thank but NO!!!!! :)))

Apart of these we did have a great vacation and would like to return to these marvelous place and great people! Thank you very much!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are glad to read your kind compliments on the hotel rooms, friendliness of associates as well as on our property. However we do regret to learn about the room service situation and we would like to express our sincere apologies for the problem you went through. Your remarks were worth of our best attention and promptly shared with the Management Team for their consideration.

We are glad to know that you will be back when you have opportunity and we look forward to it.

Warm Regards,

Guest Relations Team

Been to Sheraton Algarve Hotel? Share your experiences!