“Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Salgados Palace

You added Salgados Palace to your Saves list
Salgados Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herdade dos Salgados | Guia, Albufeira 8200-424, Portugal (Formerly Salgados Grande Hotel)   |
Ranked #16 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
England, Kent
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Pool: amazing, lovely natural round stone pools with a dark natural blue water.
Birds surrounding the hotel and on the grounds were lovely.
Food: we only experienced breakfast but probably the biggest selection and best quality breakfast I ever had!
Beds: the most comfortable beds ever, in fact we nearly got one shipped over to the UK!
Location: near a lovely beach and lovely walks.
Spa: beautiful, had a circuit spa and it was just lovely.
I really can rate this hotel as being a dramatic entrance, superior, great views from your amazing room with great food and cleanliness!

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Just returned from 5 night stay at Salgados grande. Hotel is very modern and the staff are extremely helpful. We were delayed and did not arrive at the hotel until after the restaurant had closed and without asking we were told they had arranged for food to be sent to our room. This is definitely going above and beyond.
The rooms are large and spacious. The wet room is amazing with a drench style shower. There is an indoor pool in the spa but note you have to buy a swimming cap for 5 euros if you have not brought your own.
The food was the only disappointment. It lacked in quality and in choice but there was always something you could find.
There is a supermarket a ten min walk away but there are no other amenities in close walking distance. Gale beach is approx 15mins by foot and has a great beachside cafe.
The algarve sightseeing bus stops right outside the hotel which we used to visit Albuferia. A 24hr ticket cost 13 euros for an adult.
Overall we had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay so if you are looking for a hotel to unwind,away from all the action then this place is ideal.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
bangor ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here late October 13.....You really need a car rental here...I dont like relying on buses and cabs...15 minute drive to Albufeira which you must visit the old town...Hotel beautiful grand modern..rooms clean with great wet room and balconey...staff more that helpful..three pools and a spa ...don't go for a hot breakfast cause there aint any..scramble eggs sausages bacon all cold (dont mean cool I mean cold) go for the hams cold meats ..great...tea and coffee also cold so go back to your room and use the kettle, We were on a bed and breakfast break but 2 great restuarants nearbye....not much to do within walking distance except a golf course (I dont play golf) Overall great break but a bit too remote and quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front of the hotel have views over he golf course.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

This is our 2nd visit to this hotel and have to say that the hotel remains a firm favourite of ours. If you like a peaceful location with outstanding views salgados is the place. car hire is needed but then most visitors hire cars. Service and cleanliness in the hotel is superb. We've just had dinner and the standard of food was excellent. A small choice but good value for money. Service from check in, restaurant and bar facilities have been first class. Ignore other reviews and give this hotel a go I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Another weekend escape, this time to Algarve, a south region of Portugal very famous as beach destination. After a 2h30 car drive from Lisbon I finally arrived in Albufeira (the nearest big city to the hotel +/- 10km) and then folow the indications to the hotel. The indications until the CS Salgados complex was good but in the complex the indications to the reception didn't exist. After arrival theres anyone to pick up the bagage so I was parked my car (in a outside park in front of the hotel entry and another underground park) and I went to the enormous front desk. The recepcionist well recived me and explained me everithing about the hotel. Then I was folowed to the most remote room of the hotel (579) by a staff that had presented me the hotel but din't carried my luggage. The room was big, well decorated and a bit diferent from the "normal" hotel rooms because have a separated room with the toilet and the bidet and another with a shower (A big disavantage to had a shower instead of a bath or a bath). The sink was behind the main bedroom separated by a wall. The requested king size bed was a 2 single bed together what was very very uncomfortable because when I was in the middle of the bed it separated in 2. The view was pretty good to many palm trees in the front of the hotel. After I was installed I read a welcome letter that was delivered me in check in and saying that I need to pay 10€/person to enter in the SPA... When I read that I was disappointed because in 15 years of travels not only in Portugal but in some destinations in the world, from a 3 stars to a 7 stars hotel never but never charged me to use a inside pool but I think it's just one time. The SPA design was amazing has the all hotel! I went to the pool with hot water that I really like. After some time in the hot water I really want to try the jacuzzi but when I entered I had to leave because the water was very cool and the jacuzzy jet was to weak. Then I went to the sauna that was had a god size. No Turkish bath in the SPA what was a shame! In the other day, after a not very good night because of the "2 single beds together" I went to the breakfast. Another time this breakfast buffet wasn't at the level of a 5 stars hotel because it needs more variaty of options! After breakfast I went to the reception and ask for a late check-in to 2pm to use more the pool I had payed the day before. It was accepted and I went to the pool and then the rude SPA recpetionist (that speaks a very bad english) said me that I need to pay again to use the pool... if I thing that the tax os 10€ isn't logic, the 10€/day tax is shameless for any hotel even more a 5 stars hotel and in the welcome letter the hotel didn't informed me that tax is per day! In summary this hotel is very weel decorated and designed but with a very bad managing because the staff had not sufficent trainning, the question of a king size bed was a 2 single bed together is a solution for a 3 star hotel not a 5 star and also the payed SPA is shameless for any hotel... Just for a 1 night stay I payed 40€... imagine if you gona with your family for a week or two...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
dublin,ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We have just enjoyed a lovely week in this hotel. The staff are so friendly and helpful and could not do enough for us. We stayed in a suite which had a lovely balcony over looking the pools and with a view of the golf course and sea, it really was lovely. The reason I didn't give 5 stars was the restaurant food, it's not 5 star maybe 3, the food in the pool bar is better value. Also lying by the pool there is alway the chance of being hit by a stray golf ball from the neighbouring driving range so I suggest they raise the height of the protective net|||

Room Tip: We had a 5th floor sea view suite well worth it for the space and comfort
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This hotel is billed as 5 star, but it falls far short of the standard one would expect for 5 star. Yes, at first appearance, it is very grand, but it is not 5 star, 3.5 stars being closer to the mark.

The service was just not what you expect from a 5 star hotel, from little niggly things of the kind you feel like an idiot to complain about, down to straight-forward poor service.

Our visit was in the off season, thus we did not pay anything like their mid-summer price, but the experience should be much the same. Not so. Perhaps understandably, due to lower occupancy most of the on-site bars and restaurants were closed; however what was left open was fairly woeful.

The main lobby bar is brightly lit and feels like a (plush) hospital waiting room, with no ambience at all. This area would benefit from some more lower-level lighting, perhaps candles, and for Christ's sake, please turn off the football. I know it is an important sport for the Portuguese, but football appears to be on 24/7 in every bar in town already, and it felt completely inappropriate in an allegedly "5 star" hotel. On a positive note, the bar-woman here was excellent, friendly and knew her stuff. On the down side again, the bar-man who was on duty on other nights, whilst efficient enough, was bloody rude and I swear said all of two words to us across the two nights we saw him. Usually just a grunt.

The only restaurant open during our stay was the buffet restaurant where our breakfast was served daily. Poor quality and often cold food did not inspire us to try the dinner buffet options, which seemed drastically over-priced at 22 Euro per head.

During the day, there was a pool bar open which served a limited a la carte menu (which you could also get from the lobby bar later on); and the food was actually pretty good.

For the spa (sauna, spa pool, indoor heated pool), you have to pay extra per person to use every day which felt a bit mean, but didn't phase us, I have no love of such things and was happy with the outdoor pool. What did irk however, was the following: my partner paid 60 Euro for a massage, and was told in no uncertain terms that BOTH she and I could use the spa for the rest of the day because of this. There was definately no language barrier as my partner speaks fluent Portuguese being from Sao Paolo. Given the situation, I agreed to go with her to sit in the spa pool for a while, only to be greeted by the same woman she'd seen before, now telling us I would have to pay after all. Embarrasing, so I agreed to pay; only to THEN be told that we both had to buy swimming caps to be allowed in. Why?! I got the hump and told them to stick their spa.

And those niggly things?

Maid service repeatedly not leaving more tea/sugar etc in the room every day. They have an enviromental policy, but state that if you want towels/robes changing to leave them on the floor in the wet-room. We did this mid-week and the maid re-hung the now sodden robes!

Wardrobe door catches didn't work on half the doors.

The local cab company the hotel use is apparently staffed by maniacs who think that driving across a roundabout at 80km/ph in a knackered old Mercedes is acceptable. It isn't. To be fair, any other cab companies we used were also poor.

Terrible lighting in bathroom and toilet; shaving was like russian roulette.

Double bed was just two singles pushed together - not even a zip and link. You can imagine how much fun that was.

Having a list next to the mini-bar which bore no resemblance to the (ridiculously under-stocked) mini-bar; then being told to not worry about it as they had changed the standard of the room - if they have changed the standard, change the mini-bar card!

Brown - every single surface, area, wall, accessory is cream, tan, beige or brown. One of the most visually tedious hotels I have ever been into.

The good: The pools are great. The grounds are nice. Plentiful free parking. Free wi-fi. Wet room shower is epic. Big over-sized pillows are cool, though they do smell very strange, kind of like hamsters.

Would I go back to Salgados Grande? Probably not, as the experience has been tainted for me now; however would I recommend it to others? Yes, but only on the proviso you go into it with your eyes open expecting a 3 star experience. If you expect 3 star, you will be very pleased indeed. If, however, you expect 5 star, look elsewhere.

Bear in mind this is a golf resort hotel, 15 mins from Salgados beach. If you don't play golf, there is not a lot to do, and it is a good 15 - 18 Euro taxi trip each way to Albufeira if you fancy something different (though be warned, Albufeira feels like Blackpool, so be sure this is your style).

Room Tip: They are all the same. Don't bother paying extra for a "sea view", as it's pretty...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Salgados Palace? Share your experiences!