Back to Salgados after a week in Dunas Suites in late July, so comparisons are inevitable. This time we were just Dad and 13yo son for 5 nights. Other reviewers have provided a lot of detail, so here are pros and cons from our perspective:
Room layout worked well - usual firm CS bed and good pillows, big walk in shower, good tv choice (included Fuel.tv - skate/surf/bmx channel - very popular with son).
Housekeeping good - complete no later than 2pm every day.
No problems with sun beds except when arriving late pm (this is down to majority of guests being Portuguese or Spanish, so have all (wisely) taken a break during hottest part of the day). Always managed to get 2 though.
Pools in usual CS format - circular, 2 adult, one kids. Adult ones are 1.5m/1.8m deep - plenty of room.
Very fast internet in reception areas - often up to 30mb
Handy pool bar
Only 10 mins from Salgados beach (turn right leaving main entrance hall, walk down the slope, turn left and then right past the (currently closed) driving range, turn left as path reaches back of 18th green and cross small wooden bridge into villa area. Walk up to main road and turn right past security. Go left and roundabout, cross road and walk between Vidamar and Dunas Suites (sign to Sabor a Mar Restaurant) and boardwalk is 50m up path. On return, don't forget to walk up Lota 2a in the villas or you'll spend ages trying identical ones with no wooden bridge at the end!)
Many helpful and friendly staff, particularly if you return the courtesy
Wide range at breakfast - decent (if unspectacular) range at dinner
The Douro (red wine) served at dinner is really quite good....
Plates cold = cold food.
Surprisingly large amount of canned fruit. Why? No canned fruit in sight during 7 days in Dunas Suites, in comparison.
Dining felt less "special" - down to the format of the room more than anything else
No in room internet - I think this is a bit lazy as the phone is an internet device (VOIP) and was working. We were on 2nd floor so could get 1-2mb of signal from the wifi most of the time.
Many "trainees". You could spot the experienced staff easily - they were a blur of action all the time. The rest wandered around aimlessly unless under direction from managers. There's room for improvement here, as it does affect the overall impression of the hotel.
Overall, we really enjoyed the visit. It's clear that the budget is tight and that CS management is being very cautious. We paid £415 each for 5n half board from Manchester, inclusive of flights. By comparison, the Lake Resort would have been £900 each. You pay your money and take your choice. Be prepared to accept the odd compromise here and there and this is a good value hotel.
I'm not sure if the cavernous conference centre will ever work economically for CS, and it's clear that much of the hotel design is there to support conference visitors, of which there don't seem to be many. That said, holidaying visitors benefit from the room design, which feels to be a higher fit standard than the Dunas Suites.
We'd go back, for sure......
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Salgados Grande Hotel is located near Albufeira, between the golf and the beach, at Herdade dos Salgados. With majestic interiors, its design is contemporary, however cosy. Here, you will find plenty to spend your time. In the morning, walk along the Salgados Beach with the family or explore the Salgados Lagoon. Later in the day, lounge around one the 3 outdoor pools, before a massage in the magnificent SPA. By late afternoon, save some time for an aperitif in the Sunset Bar, whilst enjoying, in the horizon over the nature reserve, the spectacle of colours after which the bar was named, followed by dinner in one of our restaurants. The hotel, ideal for couples and families, has 228 accommodation units and features great facilities, as well as a modern Congress Centre. A place where design and comfort walk hand-in-hand, between the golf and the beach, this is truly the best of both worlds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Salgados Grande Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cs Salgados Grande Hotel Albufeira
- Cs Salgados Grande Hotel And Spa
- Salgados Grande Hotel Albufeira, Portugal - Algarve