“Dont go All inclusive!!!!!!!!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Eden Resort

You added Eden Resort to your Saves list
Eden Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Loteamente da Quinto da Bolota | Lote 2, Vale de Santa Maria, Albufeira 8200-053, Portugal   |
Ranked #75 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
“Dont go All inclusive!!!!!!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

On arrival at the resort,this place looked the part,nice complex.I was in a group of six people,and we were eventually had our room keys at 6.30pm,having arrived at 11am.We were told that the rooms were being finished off painting!The apartments that we had where first class,although regular cleaning would of been a good idea.The biggest moan of all,was the quality and variety of the food.The canteen,not restaurant was always late opening,staff very grumpy and unhelpful.For an all inclusive holiday,the small snack bar was opened for only two hours a day,4 till 5,and 11am to midday.After 2 days i refused to use the canteen,along with my fellow party members.Bar staff were always grumpy and reception staff could hardly talk english.I would never stay here again,fact.

Room Tip: Try and get a room near reception
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Polish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The Eden Resort is a mixture of excellence and awful. I had heard some great things about Eden, and so was surprised to see the very mixed opinions on Trip Advisor. Now I know why the opinions are so mixed.

We booked for one week All Inclusive, staying in September 2012. We had one 2 bedroom apartment, and two 1 bedroom apartments. When we arrived, we found that 2 of the apartments were at one end of the resort and the other was at the other end (and it’s a big resort), so a 5 to 10 minute walk between the rooms. They also told us that they didn’t have a 1 bedroom apartment available so 2 of our party were to stay in a 2 bedroom apartment (bonus we were thinking).

We arrived at the apartments (the ten minute walk away from reception ones), after not being offered any help with our bags or the pushchair, in fact two golf buggies with staff in them drove past us on the way to our rooms. When we arrived at the apartments we were very surprised and pleased. They were extremely spacious and clean and had a fully equipped kitchen. We also had a TV (which showed ITV1 , 2 and 4 – which I found strange), iron and ironing board and a lovely garden. The bathrooms were also very nice. The two in our party that had booked a 1 bedroom apt but were given a 2 bedroom apt, then found that one of the bedrooms and one of the bathrooms were locked, which we found strange but as the week went on we worked out why.

So that was the good bit, now the bad; Reception - this was supposed to be ‘manned’ 24 hours a day, but when it was, there was only ever one person on duty, so a long queue was the norm. When I tried to call reception 3 or 4 times during the week, nobody answered. Food – the restaurant was extremely basic (as was the ‘school diners canteen’) and had a very limited selection of food, but what was there was nice and tasted ok. Bars - the Apple Bar was closed all week, but they still put signs up saying that there would be entertainment in the Apple Bar every evening. This is when we starting to notice that the Eden Resort was ridiculously under staffed and was on a massive penny pinching exercise. They told us that the Apple Bar was closed for refurbishments, but it wasn’t. We looked through the doors on a number of occasions during the day and the evening and saw no work going on. Our party worked out that there must have been more people in the resort on the All Inclusive basis at that time, and so they limited it to only one bar being open so that they served less drinks. Maid service – I have never stayed in a hotel or resort where the maid arrives at 5pm on a regular basis, again another sign that they are understaffed. The sheets were not regularly changed (as there was a mark on one of the sheets for 4 days). We also had a large ants nest in the kitchen and there was not one can of ant spray on the whole resort, the best they could offer me was a can of deodorant. The lack of staff must also be why they locked a bathroom and bedroom in the other apartment. Security – there wasn’t one security guard on the whole resort night or day, we did however see a police car and two policemen looking around one morning. General maintenance – We never received the second sunbed or the batteries for the TV remote control that we requested 3 or 4 times during the week. Power cuts were also a regular occurrence. Lack of hot water – the shower was never hot. General manager not on the resort – this must be the General Manager that replies to many of the reviews. The manager wasn’t based on the resort and you had to book an appointment if you wanted to complain, not that I did , but I overheard the receptionist telling somebody this. Location – not great. I like a walk when on holiday but it is a good 20 minute walk into the old town and its down a very steep hill, which is fine going down, but tough coming back up.

Tips, don’t stay All Inclusive at Eden Resort, it not worth it. Also don’t expect to have much interaction with the staff because they are hard to find.

Sandra and Pedro were excellent all week

Would I stay there again – unfortunately not. However if they spent money on staff and improved the restaurant and bar, the place would be full every week because the apartments are excellent. I suspect that the plot was originally sold to have luxury apartments on it, but they didn’t sell very well and so they added a few extra bits to turn it into a holiday resort. I’m sure the general manager will reply to this and say that I’m wrong, but I have no reason to lie.

Room Tip: Dont go All Inclusive
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Me & my boyfriend booked 5 nights in Eden Resort and we went all inclusive and after reading some of the reviews on here before we went I was a bit dubious about it. All I can say is that there are some really hard to please people out there. We had a lovely time & I have to say do not be put off by the nit pickers that will find problems in anything and post on here.

The accomodation as everyone else has stated was lovely, we booked a one bedroom apartment however when we checked in we had been given a 2 bedroom ground floor apartment. There were sun loungers out the back through the patio doors and a table with 2 chairs so if you wanted to spend time out there then you could. The kitchen was really well equipped and had all working appliances. The bedrooms were really nice & the bed was very comfortable. The lounge area was nice as well and had a TV with all different channels, including ITV and a range of music channels, even one that we enjoyed (Scuzz)! The bathroom was modern and had a good shower, because we had a 2 bedroomed apartment we also had 2 bathrooms. The one thing that they could have done with though seeing as it was so well equipped was a dustpan and brush as this would have helped us to keep the room floor a bit cleaner. The apartment was cleaned every other day & they changed our towels every other day if we left them in the bath. Our bed linen was changed once and they made the bed if we had not already done so. There was no problem with this, I do not clean my own house every day so every other day was fine, we did not really make much of a mess so had no complaints here.

There was a range of food daily and it wasn't just catered for children as stated before, we had swordfish, pork, chicken breast, salad, breaded fish, rice, boiled/mashed/new potatoes, chips, chicken nuggets. Basically there was at least 2 meat dishes & one fish per sitting. There was always rice, different kinds of pasta (both hot and cold), chips, different soup daily and salad (tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, peppers, sweetcorn, salad of the day). For breakfast there was sausages, scrambled & boiled eggs, bacon, mushrooms, beans, fruit, cheeses, ham, bread, waffles and tea/coffee/juice. They always had cake for pudding or the nicest fresh fruit (pinapple, melon, plums, kiwi fruit, oranges) and also ice cream that you could help yourself too. I guess this food isn't to everyones tastes but it was really nice and it wasn't always just chips/burgers/nuggets.
The restaurant was also not like a canteen, it was fairly small however there were tables for 2 people or 4 people or you could push tables together if larger groups, I saw the staff there always working hard cleaning up after people who had just left their plates on the table. Yes sometimes we had to get our own cutlery/napkins but that's not really something to complain about, especially since the staff weren't just sitting down chatting, they were working hard cleaning up constantly. For 3 nights we were there they turned off all the lights and bought out celebration cakes for guests who were celebrating birthdays and sang happy birthday which I thought was a really nice touch. There was always music playing in there and it was a relaxed atmosphere.

There were 3 pools but we only stayed by one which was near to our room, it had the snack bar next to it. There was a sign that said about not laying towels out but sometimes people did this, but I guess as it was out of season this wasn't a problem and there were always spare sunbeds around midday. I agree with others when they say there were not enough umbrellas to go with the sunbeds, I saw at least two that were broken and it would be good for the staff that when they go round and line up all the sunbeds in the evening that they should check for damages and sort these out. For about 70 sunbeds there were about 10 umbrellas maximum and with a lot of children there it would be good to invest in these.
The bar by the pool was great, I think me & my other half drank the bar dry of amaretto, the alcoholic drinks were available 11:00-19:00 with water, tea & coffee being available from 10am. The snacks were available during 11-12 & 4-5pm and they are really tasty. I don't see a problem with these allocated times as you'll be pretty full up from breakfast & lunch, just expect the queues to be a little bit long as the snacks are popular. You can get hotdogs, pizzas, hamburgers (with cheese, bacon & mushrooms for no extra cost) and chips there, and probably other stuff, we didn't really get many snacks as we filled up during the main meals.
The pool itself was lovely, yes it was cold as mentioned before but just what you need once you've been in the sun for hours. Once you get swimming it's fine. I cannot comment on the other pools as we did not go to them but the pools were clean. The toilets there are okay but they could do with being checked and cleaned during the day.

We ventured into the Old Town on the free shuttle bus which was great although we preferred staying in the resort. We cannot comment on the evening entertainment as we stayed in our room, however the bar was nice and we had a few drinks there, the all inclusive option stays in place until 11pm which is plenty of time, especially if you've been drinking all day.

There is a cheap supermarket literally a 5 minute walk down the hill where we went to get some cheap bottles of water for the night, although you could get bottles of water in the restaurant with dinner and I guess you could take these to your room if you wanted. We did look in the shop on site but didn't buy anything in there.

All in all, it's a great resort, yes there are small things they could do to make this a little better, I agree that it's not a 5* resort but the staff are friendly and work really hard and everyone we met there were really friendly and helpful. We are already planning on going back and taking a group next time. Do not be put off by the reviews on here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Marthadubuf, Guest Relations Manager at Eden Resort, responded to this review, October 20, 2012

We appreciate when guests post a review and take all into consideration.

We have read thorugh your review and appreciate good feedback so we can always improve.
We are very pleased you enjoyed your holiday and stay at the Eden Resort.

We hope you return and stay with us again in the future.

Kind Regards

southwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We have just returned from our 8 day stay at the Eden Resort and myself, husband, and three children (10, 8 and 3yr old) were delighted with our holiday. We stayed in a two bedroomed townhouse on a self catering basis. The kitchen was very well equipped with oven, microwave, dishwasher (although it didn't work which didn't phase us), kettle etc. The living and sleeping accommodation were perfect, the first bedroom was a large double and spacious with en-suite bathroom and shower with a large balconyand the second bedroom had twin beds again with an en-suite and small balcony In the sitting room/diner there were two settees one of which was a double sofa bed so my 10 year old son was more than happy and a large 6 seater dining table and chairs which led out to the terrace with two very good quality sun loungers and a 6 seater table and chairs. Our Tv worked fine throughout our stay with many channels ITV1/2 and 3 etc. We didn't have any issues with cleaning, our little house was cleaned on a daily basis (except Sunday) and all beds were well made each time, towels replenished and floor mopped. No they didn't empty the kitchen bin but i wouldn't expect them to anyway, I've always had to empty the rubbish when I've stayed elsewhere. The surroundings were immaculate and well cared for and could often see handy men going about their business cutting the grass etc. I've read previous bad reviews concerning the pool area, well i can only comment on what i found which was a beautiful clean area. There were plenty of sunbeds around the pool none of which were reserved at some ungodly hour!! The reception staff were polite and courteous and were always happy to ring and book a taxi on our behalf. The only reason i didn't give this place 5 stars was because there were a few (very) minor glitches, the pool was pretty chilly although the children loved it, the on-site shop was particularly under stocked, getting a loaf of bread proved to be a problem at times as the lady said they didn't get in very much and it was only open from 9-1pm and finally on a couple of the more cloudier days the pool snack bar was closed and according to the English lady who ran it said it was because the weather wasn't great even though there were plenty of people around the pool.
This resort is a little gem with massive potential if the teething problems were ironed out (i.e getting extra staff to help with the workload!!!). I would definitely return to the Eden resort.

Thought i would just Mention that the Bravo restaurant in the square (old town) served fantastic food and the service was outstanding, well worth a visit!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Marthadubuf, Guest Relations Manager at Eden Resort, responded to this review, October 12, 2012

We appreciate when guests post a review and take all into consideration.

We are very pleased you enjoyed your hoiday and stay at the Eden Resort.

The mini market is usually opened till 6pm but as we are coming towards a quiet season, it is now closing at 1pm, there is another supermarket not too far from the resort where guests can walk to, only 5 mins or can also order a taxi only 4euros to lidl or our local supermarket.
We did have rainy days and the Manager thought it would be best to close the pool bar and instead have the kiosk open as its indoors, We understand guests were at the pool but we also had complaints from guests who said as it was a rainy day we should have an indoor bar opened instead and so we cannot please everybody.

We hope you return and look forward to see you again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

This is my second visit to Eden (first being two years ago just after it opened) and I enjoyed it more than the first. I read some of the negative reviews and all I can say is some people should just stay at home and stop taking up valuable space which could be utilised by travellers that appreciate somewhere as lovely as this. On arrival we were allocated our room much earlier than the official check in time. We were given a two bed, ground floor appt which was spotless. We went to Lidl (4euro) and stocked up for the week (wine is amazingly cheap!)We then went straight to the pool and our holiday had begun. There were plenty of loungers and one pool was busier and noisier than the other but you have the option of a few pools. Some reviewers moaned about the food and personally I would always go self catering as I don't think much of the food choices but that's just my taste and people seemed to enjoy it. I would not hesitate to vist this resort again; in fact I can't wait!

• Stayed September 2012

We appreciate when guests post a review so we can always improve.

We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your holiday and stay at the Eden Resort, we hope staff made your stay feel as comfortable as possible.

We hope you return and look forward to see you again.

Merseyside
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

just back from eden resort, this resort when you arrive is lovely the apts are very moden everything you could need even dish washer, micro wave,etc, comfy beds we had a 2 bed apt, on the ground floor lovely terrace with sun loungers. they are the good points. there is hardly any cleaning of the apts, we had to empty our own bin's go to reception to get clean towels the week we were there we did not have the bed's changed at all the toilet's where cleaned only once!!! this is the worse cleaning we have ever had on any holiday. the apts are a good 25 mins walk to old town but only 10 min walk to nearest supermarket there is a small very very cheap bar over the top of the supermarket well worth a vist, we were self catering so can not comment on the food my husband did go in the bar and came stright out he said it was awful and the bar man just walked away and left people waitig for drinks thats when he found the bar over the supermarket.these apt promise a lot but do not deliver it's a shame because they could be great. there is an indoor pool and sauna which was only opend 3 days out of our 7.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the road which is really very busy,
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

We appreciate when guests post a review and take all into consideration.

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Eden Resort.
The daily cleaning is six times a week, towels everyother day and sheets once a week, when guests have any problems with cleaning we ask to please contact reception so it can be looked into and solved while guests are here on holiday.

We hope you return and may have a good experience as all our staff are ready to help and make guests holiday and stay feel as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We booked a two bedroom apartment at the Eden Resort at the last minute due to a need to extend our stay in Portugal. We decided on this resort after having spent a week in the centre of Albufeira so that we could relax and have a bit of peace and quiet and we got that in abundance. the resort is on the outskirts of town only a short taxi ride (4 euro's) from the old town si is very peaceful and relaxing. There are 3 lovely pools in the grounds for lounging around, a kiddies pool for the youngsters and a small, but perfectly formed, playground. Our 2year old grandaughter had great fun in these areas. If you want more action then head for town.
The apartment was clean, beautifully set out and furnished with all you required to enjoy your stay. It was cleaned daily and sheets changed twice during ourstay. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful, phoning taxi's for us free of charge and even allowed us to print out our boarding passes on their computer free of charge. The only slight criticism is that the mini market was only open 9 - 1 and was poorly stocked but there was a large supermarket at the bottom of the road (10 min walk). Our transfer to and from the hotel was booked through Resorthoppa who turned up on time and provided excellent transport to the airport. We had a great time and would return for the relaxing ambience and wonderful pastel colours of the resort.

Room Tip: Garden and Angel apartments are near to the pools but secluded enough to relax on the patio in peace...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

We appreciate when guests post a review and take all into consideration.

We are very pleased you enjoyed your holiday and stay at the Eden Resort, the mini market is closing at 1pm as we quiet down a little for the winter season but as you have pointed there is a supermarket only a 5min walk away from the resort.

We hope you return and stay again.

Natasha De Nobrega

Been to Eden Resort? Share your experiences!