“TV takes pride of place - food isn't bad either” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Description: Restaurant in Serpa, Portugal
Description: Restaurant in Serpa, Portugal
Edinburgh, Scotland
“TV takes pride of place - food isn't bad either”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

A brightly-lit one-room restaurant on one of the main squares in Beja and one of the few that was open on a Sunday evening and had any other customers, all of them Portuguese. The menu is extensive, which usually means indifferent cooking, but our dishes of rabbit and lamb were well cooked and large, even in half portions. I was talked into the vegetable soup, one of the dishes of the day, and it was excellent. But don't go if there is a Benfica-Porto match on and you don't like to watch TV, because there is a huge flat-screen TV which takes pride of place and had all eyes glued to it. We rather enjoyed being part of the event.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
Hayward, California
“Mouth watering!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I can honestly say that I LOVE eating at O Alentejano! The food is delicious! The first time I went, I ordered the "Carne de Porco A Alentejana" and I just fell in love! The meat was so juicy smothered in a delcious, rich sauce of Portuguese herbs and spices. It also came with yummy claims and flavorful french fries. The wine is also nice and cheap, my boyfriend and I usually pay less than 5 euros for a bottle. The appetizers are also very yummy and traditional.. like their locally made cheese, olives and bread. The second time I went, I had the "Bacalhau A Bras" and it was the best dish of Bacalhau I've ever tried! I usually don't even like Bacalhau, but this dish made me a fan! It's important to remember that if you are small like me, you should order the 1/2 dose because the plates are pretty big! Overall, it has a great view, friendly service, great food and all at a very reasonable price! I will definitely be going back to Portugal and eating here again! Can't wait! :)

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Budapest
“Tradition not what it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

This is a very ancient restaurant in the center of Serpa. My first time here was about 15 years ago, was so delicious that stayed in my mind. About 10 years ago I made a detour travelling from Algarve to Lisbon just to have lunch there, and it was worth it. That "porco preto em pau loureiro", uhm, fresh meat, delicious. Went back now, what a change. Still have the same menu, but the food was not good: instead of fresh joicy meat you get re-heated food. Service was ok and wine list is good, but the food is not realy up to the level of other restaurants in Alentejo. Sadly I will not be returning...

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leuven, Belgium
“Very good diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Without knowing what to encounter, we selected this restaurant in Serpa's main place.
As the dining room is on the first floor, one can not see if you'd the only guest or not.
But the bacalhau was the best I ever ate. And, a large portion.
Friendly staff, attractive prices.
And, if you're there at the time of the Cante Alentejano music festival, you can hear it all and watch it as if on the "first row" through the restaurant's windows.

• Visited June 2012