“Delicious meal” 5 of 5 stars

Description: tele 284-543-436 zip? 7830-322 serpa
Halifax, Canada
“Delicious meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

A bit hard to find but well worth it. From the outside it looks similar to a warehouse. We were too early, as we usually seem to be in Portugal, but we were rewarded after a short wait with staff who were friendly and patient with our attempts at Portuguese. We enjoyed good food and the interesting décor. We sat next to the aquarium. Try the bola de bolachas for dessert!

• Visited April 2013

Koksijde, Belgium
“Excellent Porco Preto!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Restaurant Pedra de Sal (Stone of salt) lays just outside the historic centre of Serpa.
Nice interior with about 30 places. We went on a Wednesday evening around 8 o'clock and only one table was already taken. Later two more tables entered so with us this meant 4 tables taken. Not crowded.
Friendly reception and helpful waitress.
The classical bread and olives were put on the table as we sat down. We decided to go for meat. I took “secretos à Pedra de Sal” and my wife a rabbit stew served with rice.
Secretos are small slices taken from the back of the shoulder of the pig (dixit the waitress). Do not compare meat of Porco preto (Black Pork) with that of ordinary pork. The meat is much more tender and red coloured. You could mistake its look for beef.
The Secretos were delicious.
The rabbit stew also tasted excellent but had one problem which is common in Portugal. Eating meat on the bone in Portugal is risky business . The butchers (or chefs) just chop through the bones in a way that splinters stay in the prepared dish. It really can become messy and you have a hell of a job to politely take all the splinters out of your mouth.
The wine card was a very long list of Portuguese wines, most of them unknown to us so we ended up taking the one recommended by the waitress. It was an Alentejano red wine of 2009 “Paço do Conde. Hold the middle between body and softness. Good recommendation and a very decent price (9,5 €.).
As dessert we asked for a cheese plate (which was not on the menu card, but they kindly prepared one for us.)
We ended the meal with a tea and licor. The total bill was 42,30 € for two.
When leaving we had a nice chat with the owners who are also dog lovers . They came outside to caress our border collie who stayed in the car (Dogs are not allowed in restaurants in Portugal).
We firmly intend to go back to the charming historic village of Serpa in the future and then Pedra de Sal will be our restaurant of choice.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lisboa
“Worth looking for in Serpa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

You may not find it right a way but, as all good things in life, persistence is rewarded by large. Run by a dedicated family, the tastes take you back in time when a dinner was a ritual and dishes were prepared for long hours. Excelent price/quality.

• Visited December 2012
Hayward, California
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I adore eating at Pedra de Sal! The food never fails to amaze me. Everything is so yummy; from their delicious appetizers (the chourico is to die for!), to their traditional dishes from meats, to fishes. Not to mention ALL, and I mean ALL of their dessert are just mouth watering. This place is a little more pricey but it is worth the elegance it brings. They also have a big room that you can rent out if you wanted to have a big party. It's all very beautifully decorated. I will definitely be eating here again next time I am in Portugal!

• Visited July 2012
Aalborg, Denmark
“Pedra de Sal, oh such beeef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I must say that in these landscapes of Alentejo, I had the honour and the pleasure to eat an exelent portion of beef steaks, along with a simple salad and french fries. Obviously, this ultra-tasty marvell was served with the one of the best cheese I have ever ate (Queijo de Serpa), special oregano-marinated olives, some traditional crazy super tasty sausage grilles, and of course, the bread and the butter. The five star service, the great location, the well design athmosphere and the really good food makes me want to come. I will definitively come. I was very very impressed with the authenticity and with the compassion the "grill-man" had. A vibrant man, that seems to know what type of meat are you greeding for. The price tough make it tough a bit pushy for my wallet, but nevertheless I paid around 35$ for two people with a bottle of a regionally prestiged traditional red wine. Visit if you can.

• Visited September 2011