“Fantastic wines!” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Private Tour
$147*
and up
Private Tour to Arraiolos and Evora - UNESCO...
Ranked #3 of 15 Activities in Evora
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
Bend, Oregon
22 attraction reviews
“Fantastic wines!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012 via mobile

We took the tour and wine tasting with some new friends from Spain. Had a very good time touring the cellars with our guide, Sergio. You get to do an aroma test to try and guess the intricacies of the wines. Also, the tasting included whites, reds, and sparkling wines--you pick these out before the cellar tour so they can breathe a bit before your tasting. Also, they include three olive oils from their estate. This was a really fun thing to do.

Sao Paulo, SP
5 attraction reviews
“For those who enjoy fine wines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Anyone traveling through the region of Alentejo, Portugal, and like fine wine has plenty of options of places to visit. In my case, I had some limitations. I was traveling by car (in other words, I did not want to drive after drinking), had little time and wanted to know a place that really had a wonderful wine. The winery Cartuxa was my choice. And a great choice. They produce some of the best wines of Portugal, as Pera Manca. The place, as a whole, is simple and full of stories. Our visit lasted nearly two hours. Our guide was excellent. There are several videos. They tell the story of Eugenio de Almeida Foundation, which owns the Cartuxa, and has several social work in Evora. There is a room very interesting. Panels show the main grape. The visitor can feel the smell of them and the type of flavor they add to the wine.

Three tips:
1 - There are five types of wine tasting. In tasting Simple (five euros - one wine) and Cartuxa (10 euros and three wines), the visitor does not choose the wine. In São Bruno (20 euros and three wines) and Santo Inácio de Loyola (five wines - 30 euros), the visitor can choose what to put in the glass (except the Pera Manca). The hint is this: choose the most sophisticated wines. My wife and I did a tasting of three wines: Two Scala Coeli (one red and one white) and a Cartuxa Reserva, all impressive and tasty. If you want to try five wines, I also recommend the Cartuxa Colheita and Floral de Évora.

2 - Buy wines in the winery. We could not find better prices. If you are Brazilian, like me, make an account. In Brazil, the wine will cost three or four times more...

3 - The winery Cartuxa is two quilometres from the walls of Évora. I stayed in a hotel in the center of the historic part. I spent 8 euros by taxi to reach the Cartuxa and returned on foot (about 40 minutes walking). There's no way you get lost (even if you drank too much wine): just follow the old aqueduct and you will arrive in Evora.

Visited January 2012