To stay at the Albergaria is to appreciate why international travel guides list it as the best hotel in Evora. The key ingredient of its success is the approach of members of staff, who really seem to enjoy their work and will do just about anything (proper) to help you enjoy your stay.
Those we met are young, multi-lingual graduates of hotel schools. They have the knack of establishing a personal relationship with their guests and making them feel truly welcome.
The hotel is ideally located for guests arriving by car - as most do - just inside the walls of the old city. Negotiating the basement garage is not for the faint-hearted but the hotel is happy to park and fetch your car for you. I found myself being guided into an awkward parking spot just outside the hotel by no fewer than three welcoming members of staff - like a scene from a film!
From the hotel it's an easy 30-minute walk down the lanes and through the squares to the churches, museums, shops and Roman temple ruins that are the city's main attractions. Restaurants and coffee shops are plentiful.
Relaxing is easy in the hotel's attractive lounge and gardens. A computer is available in the lounge for the use of guests. Wifi can be accessed throughout the hotel. Breakfast offers a wide self-service choice, with eggs to be ordered according to taste. It helps if you like fado (passionate Portuguese singing) which is often heard in the public areas.
Our "superior" bedroom was spacious and comfortable although one or two more electrical sockets would have been appreciated. The mattress on our queen-sized bed was state of the art. The air conditioning really worked, essential for the comfort of visitors in the city's torrid summer months. There's a fridge in the room, as well as a safe although guests need to ask for a key. A litre bottle of water was provided free by the hotel each day.
The bathroom comes with all the accoutrements expected in a four star hotel, including a great shower.
We came for two nights and stayed for three. Beyond the bedroom windows could be heard just the occasional rumbling of car tyres on the cobbles. Sleep came easily. A great stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Albergaria do Calvario is ideally located within the beautiful city walls of Evora. On the site of a 16th-century olive oil mill, the gated entry leads to a beautiful courtyard creating a centerpiece for the surrounding lobby, guest rooms, and common areas. This unique 4-star hotel provides modern luxury and contemporary styling while preserving its connection to the past and the unique identity of Evora. Each of the 22 guest rooms, including four suites, offer wireless Internet, a flat screen television, and heating and air conditioning. Every room is designed for restful comfort with superior beds, high quality linens, and a pillow menu. Beautiful marble, modern fixtures, and all glass enclosures create a thoroughly modern bath experience. Albergaria do Calvario is very well known for its exceptional all-inclusive breakfast featuring fresh, organic, and locally-grown products in abundant supply. Order from a full bar and a hand-selected menu of homemade tapas that may be enjoyed indoors or in the open courtyard. Twenty-four hours a day no request is too small or unique. Every staff member is eager to arrange services such as; tours and activities, dining reservations, and room service—all included with each stay. Laundry, ironing, and dry cleaning are also available at reasonable rates. A list of non-published services is also available and designed to help the traveler discover the best of local and regional experiences.All of the attractions of Evora are within short walking distance on sidewalks and charming cobblestone streets. Highlights within the city walls include the Se Cathedral and hidden gems like the Igreja dos Loios. Featured day trips include nearby wineries, cork oaks, historic cities, and tours of prehistoric megalithic sites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Albergaria do Calvario reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albergaria Do Calvario Évora
- Albergaria Do Calvario Hotel Évora