“Excellent Relaxation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bluefields Bay Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bluefields
Bluefields Bay Villas
You added Bluefields Bay Villas to your Saves list
Bluefields Bay, Bluefields, Jamaica   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Western USA
“Excellent Relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

This is a magnificent spot with tremendous service, great food and lovely people. We rented the Cottonwood Cottage for a week with our two young kids and having the staff made all the difference in the world. The nanny was great, the cook excellent, the food first rate. Matthew, Nicardo, Ricardo, and the whole crew could not have been better.

The only thing that bothered me were the mosquitoes, but there's not much you can do about them in the tropics.

Note this is not a high end resort. It is a very nice house in a great spot, but not near anywhere (however, do not miss the Black River and YS falls). Debbie Moncure, who with her husband owns the villas, is a delight and very helpful (from her office in VA).

We've been to many places around the world, including 5 star beach hotels, but I don't think I ever want to go anywhere again without a staff like this one.

Bring lots of books and prepare to relax. Explore the local area to get a feel for what it's like to live in a country like Jamaica. You certainly couldn't get this kind of interaction at one of the all-inclusive resorts on the island.

Do not miss Bluefields.

• Liked — Comfy beds
  • Disliked — Plumbing!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

Our week in Bluefields at the Heritage house was absolutely amazing! Percy was there at the airport waiting for us. He was very safe driving Stephen, myself, and our 3 children to Bluefields and spent some of the time telling us about all the different villages and area. He was very kind and interesting. Most of all, I felt totally SAFE with him (especially when he had to drive my children.)

We arrived at Bluefields on Monday and everyone was there to make us feel welcome. Jackie was so friendly and confirmed menu selections. Sharon cheerfully greeted us! Jason asked us if we needed anything. Kim was there eager to help with the kids. They were all so nice and we felt right at home and very welcome.

The entire week was fantastic! We live very busy lives-my husband works a lot and I work part time in pharmaceuticals. Our children aged 12, 8, and 5 also keep us busy with activities, schoolwork, etc. This week was about getting away and relaxing and we did just that! I felt guilty for not hardly lifting a finger there! I am not used to having this much attention and help, so, when I say we relaxed and were pampered, I really mean it! Jackie was great at making delicious meals! Jason was always there asking us what else we needed! The rooms were immaculate and the laundry done! Percy's breakfasts were amazing and when I requested an authentic Jamacian breakfast, he whipped up ackee and saltfish with dumplings on the last day we were there....it was so yummy!!! Our children ate everything we ate and they loved it! We spent a lot of time at the beach and Nicardo and Greg were always there taking care of our every need! They helped with the kayaks, getting toys for the kids, and we also got a chance to play some beach soccer with them! Pepitos was always there at night to make us feel safe and get us whatever we needed! There is so much attention to detail and the staff even prepared a special celebration for our anniversay dinner!

I must say though, the person that was outstanding was Kim! By the end of the week, she had taken such great care of our children and I had spent so much time getting to know her, that I started tearing up when I said goodbye to her! Our youngest, Sierra, loved her and wanted Kim near her at all times! Kim played with her, braided her hair, dressed her, fed her, and hugged her! Kim was also great with our independent boys and knew just when to interject herself into their busy activities! She spent time talking to me about Jamaica, the people, and just hanging out with her was fun! She is an absolutely amazing, beautiful person with such a kind heart! Sierra kept asking her while we were on the plane ride back and wants to send pictures back to her!

Percy and Kim went with us on the Black River Safari tour and YS falls. Such beautiful places! They made sure we were safe, taken care of, and enjoyed ourselves!

One thing that we like is to get to know the history of the place we're visiting! I read a lot of those Jamaican books you had in the library from cover to cover, and, with our interaction with the local people, we feel as we got a taste of the "true" flavor of Jamaica! If we had stayed at some resort, we would probably never had left the property, eaten American food (burgers and fries), and just met tourists. The experience at Bluefields is one our children and ourselves learned from and will never forget!

Last of all, your home the Heritage is beautiful and the architecture is amazing! Even on the last day I was still observing some new detail about the house.....On the 5th day, there was a very large afternoon lightning storm and I actually saw lightning hit the ocean. The children were scared and felt totally safe as we spent a few minutes underneath the stairs as I read them a story from your bookcase. Even that little room was unique!

I am so glad my husband found your home in paradise! We will definitely be back! I cannot say anything that I thought could be improved upon! I thought it was so wonderful and am so glad we were able to experience the week at Bluefields!

• Liked — Amazing attention to detail by staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Auburn Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

This is the most wonderful place in the world to just relax and take it easy. If you do not put this on your list of things to do before you die you will be missing the most wonderful vacation of your life. Debbie and her staff make you feel like it is your home for the stay and this is not a fake attitude it is real!!!!! I do not have the words to describe how great this place is. It is a must do. I have only been home for three days and I have told 50 people about this and I am not even on the payroll!!! :-)

Thanks,

Jim and Trish Hawkins

• Liked — The attitude of the staff
  • Disliked — I loved everything there was nothing that was not great
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

We arrived in Montego Bay at 9:40am. The line through immigratoin went fast. We then waited for our luggage for a looooooooooong time. On our last trip we did carry-ons only but, with the liquid restrictions this time, we chose to check one bag.
After exiting the customs area, there was the usual crowd of drivers asking where you were going. Villa owner, Debbie Moncure, had sent us specific instrutions for finding our driver. Round-trip airport transportation is included with villa rental. We had chosen to rent a vehicle and the driver was included in our villa rental.
Maurice was our driver and he met us in the rental car. He then drove us off airport property to the rental agency. My kids and I waited in the car while my husband filled out the paperwork. We were assured that we were safe and that there was security onsite by many people. I did not give it another thought. We felt quite safe.
We had traveled all night long and we were quite tired on the drive. Maurice is an excellent driver and he pointed out many areas of interest on the 70 minute drive. This side of the island is absolutely beautiful. There is a lot to see on the drive.
Even though we had arrived earlier than is requested on the website, Cottonwood Cottage was ready for us and we were told the cook was preparing something for us to eat. We met Yvonne, our cook, Sharon, a housekeeper, and Kim, our nanny, immediately.
The Cottage is two bedrooms/ two bathrooms with a nice sized living room. The furniture is absolutely beautiful and the linens were so clean and crisp. In the master bedroom, there are doors which open to a garden and you can shower with them open. My husband and I were a little hesitant but, it was really beautiful.
After our house tour, we were told that lunch would be served in the treehouse. This was a short walk down the stairs to a beautiful open house. There are three large openings with postcard views of the ocean and landscape.
Lunch was chicken with pasta. It looked wonderful to us but, it did not exactly look kid friendly. My daughter picked up her fork and took a bite. She was pleasantly surprised and said, that it was actually pretty good. Our son, was not so adventurous but there were plently of other things for him to eat. By Tuesday, our daughter was no longer in the mood to try new things. Kim, our wonderful nanny, accomodated with a smile and chicken nuggets.
There are no words to express how wonderful and welcoming the staff are. I had already fallen in love with Jamaica and her people from our first visit. This staff was there to make sure you got exactly what you wanted from your experience.
We wanted to be able to relax, experience beautiful country side and beaches, have wonderful food and be together as a family. The entire staff made certain that this was the case.
I am not accustomed to having a nanny so, I had to ask Kim what she usually did. This really broke the ice and we had a great week. My husband and I were able to read undisturbed and then check in with the kids for a swim. Kim even watched the kids for an afternoon so my husband and I could go to Appleton for the rum tour.
We really loved our last time in Jamaica. We also stayed in a villa as oposed to a hotel in the community of Silver Sands. We really enjoyed that time but, there were a lot of incidentals that required cash. It seemed we were always at the ATM for cash for tips or grocerys. I wanted something a little more inclusive that wouldn't require us carrying a lot of cash into the country.
We were able to pay staff gratuities with traveler's checks which really eased our minds. The owners of these villas live in the US and we spoke over the phone and through email several times. This is an extra comfort. We had excellent experiences and we plan to return next year.

• Liked — Amazing staff, paradise views, great food
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Windsor , Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

My wife and I flew out of Detroit on March 8, right through the blizzard of 08 , We landed about 2 hours late but our driver was there waiting well aware of our predicament.

He drove us to the villa explaining all the points along the way.. Maurice was his name and driving was his game..

We arrived and were shown to our bedroom while Earl prepared some cocktails. Greg the beach caretaker gave us a tour of the grounds and went back and had a great dinner with a view of the sunset over the ocean.

The villa is historic as you can see the architecture is 1940's Im guessing. The house is quite large and we were only 2 people on the 1st night. It was my 40th birthday that very day but we waited until Sunday when our close friends were to arrive. For my birthday dinner Rose made me a cake and decorated it too.
For every meal the table was decorated with flowers picked daily on the grounds, every day was different.

The food through out the week was 10 / 10 , Service was 20 out of 10.. We could do anything we wanted anywhere anytime.

Rose's cooking was what any 5 star resort could only wish for.
Earls , butler service and breakfast was always perfect.
The maids are all trustworthy along with all the other staff , as I would leave my ipod , watch and monies lying around and without incident. They had a safe that I never locked really.
The laundress would have our clothes back the next day by noon hung up and ready to use again
Greg and Nicardo were great , We will bring our kids next time so they can be entertained.

We booked Milestone cottage initially as we were only four people, Deborah the owner advised my that Mullion was available and that she would put is there instead. The good thing about Mullion is the huge waterfrontage ( 2 acres of privacy ) and that it has wireless internet. We spent our afternoons listening to Buffett and drinking all the Rum and red wine... No Problem , they always got us more..

If you didn't know , the price for the villas are inclusive of all food and alcohol , some of the wine we experienced there was absolutely excellent.

All in All when asked if we would ever go back by our friends , I would reply that we will never go to an all inclusive resort ever again. What we experienced there could never be duplicated by any large name company .

All the extras you get along with 6 star service make this the ONLY destination we will ever consider in Jamaica.

• Liked — Privacy
  • Disliked — Road Noise
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2008

We just returned from a week at Mullion Cove where we were married in front of the most amazing sunset on the pavillion below our Villa. The Villa, the staff, the service, the rooms, and the FOOD were second to none. Earl, Maurice, Andin, Carmen, Rose, Greg, Sharon, and the rest of the staff took care of any need we ever could have had. They are the friendliest, loving people....by weeks end it felt like we were getting married at home!

We had 9 adults and 2 children staying at Mullion Cove and 2 adults and 2 children staying at Milestone Cottage. From our 89 year old grandfather to our 2 year old nephew....everyone had a great week of fun and travels.

The staff helped with all of the wedding arrangements, prepared the most amazing meal and helped throw the best reggae party to celebrate our big day.

OVerall, we had the greatest, most relaxing week one getting married could ever imagine.

We can't wait to return.

• Liked — The Staff, the service, the food and LOCATION - PRivacy
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

After the many years of visiting your breathtaking villas, our first visit in 1998, I never once sent in a review. However, I tell absolutely everyone about our many journeys and how wonderful the staff treats us and now feels like we are coming home every time we return.

Our most recent visit in December 2007 was at Mullion Cove and brough our family with us for the first time. Harry's meals were exquisite and Earl met our every desire while Greg and Yakesha took wonderful care of our three children. Our friends joined us for the week and reminded us of our first visit with them. The kids were able to learn to kayak and fish the Jamaican way at San Michele and have a band at a party for my husband.

Each time we leave leaves us wanting more!

Thanks for sharing in your amazing discovery.

• Liked — Staff and view
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bluefields Bay Villas? Share your experiences!