“Depends on your perspective” 3 of 5 stars

Royal Tahitien
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pirae, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Pirae
Rocky Mountains, USA
“Depends on your perspective”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed here for our last two nights in FP. After eight days in a vacation rental on Moorea, the large room, air conditioning, properly working toilets and restaurant/bar were welcome amenities. Yes, the decor is dated, but the staff is friendly and accommodating, the grounds are beautiful, and the property is quiet (except for the roosters!).

There is a gas station/convenience store with an ATM (does not take MasterCard) on the main road at the turn to the hotel. In July, there is a carnival/market with food vendors a short walk down the road to Papeete. The market opens at 8am and features mostly local arts & crafts. The carnival opens at 3pm. We ate dinner at one of the food trucks there that offered grilled meats & fish, burgers, fries and Chinese selections. Huge portions at reasonable prices.

The hotel restaurant may seem expensive, but the food is good and the portions generous. Grab a waterfront table for a sunset view. The black sand beach would be beautiful were it not for the trash. The hotel should do more to keep it clean.

There is wifi access in the lobby and guest rooms, but it is not free. That is a big pet peeve of mine. A two hundred dollar per night room should come with free wifi, and I rarely stay where it is not.

This hotel was adequate for our needs. If you need five stars, it is probably not for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Koloa, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

After a cruise on the Aranui 3, a friend and I stayed at the Royal Tahitien, and found it the perfect place to wind down and prepare for the flight home. True, it is old style, 60's decor. But the room was huge, with a full kitchen, tile floors, drapes that kept out the light, and a/c that worked and kept things cool. Our room was situated in the back so no unwelcome noise from the band escaped to keep sleep at bay.

A few kilometers from town, and the airport, it has a convenient location. We took the bus downtown for something to do, and it was relatively easy. The restaurant was great, and we had dinner there twice and lunch once. Full of locals,who,obviously enjoyed the evening music and the French fare. Set at the waters edge, with the sounds of lapping waves, we found it really quite delightful. I would stay there again.

This is old style decor, but it was clean and suited us perfectly.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had an emergency while travelling in French Polynesia and my husband was hospitalized and I was able to get a room at this hotel across the street. I found the hotel staff very accomodating and sympathetic. The room I got faced the ocean and it was actually a beautiful view. The room does look like it's from the 60s or 70s and by the second night there were ants (not due to clealiness because it was very clean but I suspect they have an ant problem) in the room but the reality is that I was only there to sleep and spent most of my days at the hospital. The ants never got into the bed or the bathroom and the cleaning staff sprayed the room after I told them about it.

The room also had a fridge and a kettle and cups with instant coffee and that was nice to have.

I rated it very good because of the location and the sympathy of the staff. If you need to be close (5 minute walk) to the hospital (and it was a great hospital), this is the hotel to stay even if it is pricey for what you get.

Room Tip: I would recommend this place if you need to be by the hospital. I was treated very well here and Yas...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LaGrange
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel 3 days when my husband and I had to leave our cruise ship because he was hospitalized with an emergency condition. Worst experience I have ever had in a hotel. Checked in late evening, room was on 2nd floor and no offer of helping with luggage, pointed to location of room and left on my own to locate room. Furnishing were very old and outdated, mattresses hard and very thin. Outside light did not work, completely dark all around hotel. Locks on doors could have been broked by a small child. I did not feel safe at all. Sheets on bed were paper thin, towels were also paper thin. No soap, no wash clothes. Food very expensive and not good at all. If you are in the area please don't use this hotel.

Stayed February 2013

Travelers are raving about these Pirae hotels

Tahiti, French Polynesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Checked in late and no one guided where the room is at night. No coffe tea or anything.room are not little but too outdated. After 2 days, Ipad stolen from the room, someone had the time to look for the charging doc and the cable too as it went missing together, some other stuff missing too and the hotel managements response. It is impossible, our staff is reliable, I was asked ARE YOU SURE YOU BROUGHT YOUR IPAD, whats the proof?
I will rather feel safe sleeping on the street than in this hotel. Guys please dont checkin!!
You can bargain in other hotels for a similar price.
I travel a lot for work, been to worst countries but havent seen such a place.

Room Tip: Best option is never ever go there.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The rooms are dated. The AC didn't work. There were bugs in the room. There was no hair dryer. No toiletries either. Just a small bar of soap. Any complaints to the front desk were met with an unfriendly "it is being handled". Nothing was ever handled. There were 14 of us on a post cruise stay. We were all miserable. There is no beach even though the hotel is on the water. The waves crash against a sea wall. The pool is nice but very small. There are no lounge chairs. About an hour after we asked for pool chairs some one show up with the white plastic stacking chairs. After another request for lounge chairs some showed with the lounges taken off the patios of the rooms. It was another round of discussions to get drink service at the pool. The food in the restaurant is ok but expensive. Restaurant hours are limited. Certainly not the service one would expect at a resort. It was a constant negotiation to get any kind of service or amenity. Just don't stay here. Motel 6 would be a better choice.

Room Tip: There is no fitness center. Go someplace else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stopped here for 4 days on my way from Vancouver Canada to visit friends & Sydney & tour Australia & New Zealand & stopped in Fiji & Hawaii on the way back.

I figured Australia was such a long flight & expensive anyway I may as well make a grand tour of it & shorten the plane rides a bit.

I was always curious about Tahiti. I was born in Montreal, so although Anglo/Irish by birth I love Montreal and love the French way of doing things. You get this here. The food was good. The people were polite, if a bit offstandish at first, but if you beam a really wide smile at them they return it gladly.

I ended up here because I wanted a black sand beach. I live in Vancouver. We have a beach. I've seen other beaches in France & Spain & a red one in PEI. I wanted to see a black one. The sand is more dark grey. It's not the best beach in the world, but it's still nice & I saw one of the nicest sunsets I've ever seen there, while sipping a tropical cocktail after a decent dinner cooked in their own restaurant.

I have to say I loved the people that ran this resort. It was obvious there was a family involved. My first impression was scary. I arrived in the airport (a woman travelling alone) With a red -haired French woman holding a sign with my name on it. She picked me up as well as 5 other people. Another couple & a family of 3. They got off at other hotels closer to the airport & I was left alone with her, which was okay, because she was really nice & easy to talk to. She dropped me off at the entrance to this resort though & left me with this huge man with a taciturn demeanor. He took my suitcase, grunted as he transferred it to another van & motioned for me to get aboard. No English- No French, just "grunt" & a motion at a smile ...he reminded me of a Bond henchman. The trip from the entrance of the resort to the check in desk is LONG & at the time it was very dark & I wondered where this henchman was taking me.They are not taking you for a ride & this guy is actually very nice & he's just a bit reserved. The family that owns this place are very warm & welcoming & it does seem to be family run.

The rooms are unremarkable, but comfortable & the gardens & grounds are beautiful and the ocean view setting from the restaurant is idyllic. It was May when I was there & the other customers were a lovely ecclectic mix of French, British & Australian. I don't think it was full to capacity or even near that, so it was quiet. Suited me fine.

Wonderful memories. I took the local bus into town to the market in Papeete and walked back. It's a LONG walk, but I was young with good leather sandals. Walked past some sort of compound with barbed wire. Army Base I think. Back at the resort I watched the family, children included picking mangoes off the trees on the grounds of the resort. They were packing them in boxes for the market. The kids were laughing as they worked.

I also remember having a fruit salad for breakfast which included some of the most beautiful juicy fresh tropical fruit I`ve ever had. I`m not usually an early riser, but the sun had just risen on a beautiful day. I recommend this place to people who are wanting to connect with the more citified Tahitian people.. (that said the city is small) and people who like markets.

I also now want to go back-to this same resort, but I also want to see some of the pristine clear waters & whiter sand beaches of Moorea or Bora Bora.

If you`re looking for an exceptional beach, wide & expansive, this isn`t the place. If you want a marina with golf course & tennis course, this isn`t your place. If you want a quiet uncrowded place with good food and a REALLY relaxed atmosphere, with good sunrises & sunsets this mayb just be the ticket.... also go to the Gaugin Mueum if you like art

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Royal Tahitien? Share your experiences!