“Terrible hotel, terrible experience” 1 of 5 stars

Royal Tahitien
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pirae, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Pirae
LaGrange
“Terrible hotel, terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel 3 days when my husband and I had to leave our cruise ship because he was hospitalized with an emergency condition. Worst experience I have ever had in a hotel. Checked in late evening, room was on 2nd floor and no offer of helping with luggage, pointed to location of room and left on my own to locate room. Furnishing were very old and outdated, mattresses hard and very thin. Outside light did not work, completely dark all around hotel. Locks on doors could have been broked by a small child. I did not feel safe at all. Sheets on bed were paper thin, towels were also paper thin. No soap, no wash clothes. Food very expensive and not good at all. If you are in the area please don't use this hotel.

Stayed February 2013

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Tahiti, French Polynesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Checked in late and no one guided where the room is at night. No coffe tea or anything.room are not little but too outdated. After 2 days, Ipad stolen from the room, someone had the time to look for the charging doc and the cable too as it went missing together, some other stuff missing too and the hotel managements response. It is impossible, our staff is reliable, I was asked ARE YOU SURE YOU BROUGHT YOUR IPAD, whats the proof?
I will rather feel safe sleeping on the street than in this hotel. Guys please dont checkin!!
You can bargain in other hotels for a similar price.
I travel a lot for work, been to worst countries but havent seen such a place.

Room Tip: Best option is never ever go there.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Pirae hotels

Hartford, Connecticut, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The rooms are dated. The AC didn't work. There were bugs in the room. There was no hair dryer. No toiletries either. Just a small bar of soap. Any complaints to the front desk were met with an unfriendly "it is being handled". Nothing was ever handled. There were 14 of us on a post cruise stay. We were all miserable. There is no beach even though the hotel is on the water. The waves crash against a sea wall. The pool is nice but very small. There are no lounge chairs. About an hour after we asked for pool chairs some one show up with the white plastic stacking chairs. After another request for lounge chairs some showed with the lounges taken off the patios of the rooms. It was another round of discussions to get drink service at the pool. The food in the restaurant is ok but expensive. Restaurant hours are limited. Certainly not the service one would expect at a resort. It was a constant negotiation to get any kind of service or amenity. Just don't stay here. Motel 6 would be a better choice.

Room Tip: There is no fitness center. Go someplace else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stopped here for 4 days on my way from Vancouver Canada to visit friends & Sydney & tour Australia & New Zealand & stopped in Fiji & Hawaii on the way back.

I figured Australia was such a long flight & expensive anyway I may as well make a grand tour of it & shorten the plane rides a bit.

I was always curious about Tahiti. I was born in Montreal, so although Anglo/Irish by birth I love Montreal and love the French way of doing things. You get this here. The food was good. The people were polite, if a bit offstandish at first, but if you beam a really wide smile at them they return it gladly.

I ended up here because I wanted a black sand beach. I live in Vancouver. We have a beach. I've seen other beaches in France & Spain & a red one in PEI. I wanted to see a black one. The sand is more dark grey. It's not the best beach in the world, but it's still nice & I saw one of the nicest sunsets I've ever seen there, while sipping a tropical cocktail after a decent dinner cooked in their own restaurant.

I have to say I loved the people that ran this resort. It was obvious there was a family involved. My first impression was scary. I arrived in the airport (a woman travelling alone) With a red -haired French woman holding a sign with my name on it. She picked me up as well as 5 other people. Another couple & a family of 3. They got off at other hotels closer to the airport & I was left alone with her, which was okay, because she was really nice & easy to talk to. She dropped me off at the entrance to this resort though & left me with this huge man with a taciturn demeanor. He took my suitcase, grunted as he transferred it to another van & motioned for me to get aboard. No English- No French, just "grunt" & a motion at a smile ...he reminded me of a Bond henchman. The trip from the entrance of the resort to the check in desk is LONG & at the time it was very dark & I wondered where this henchman was taking me.They are not taking you for a ride & this guy is actually very nice & he's just a bit reserved. The family that owns this place are very warm & welcoming & it does seem to be family run.

The rooms are unremarkable, but comfortable & the gardens & grounds are beautiful and the ocean view setting from the restaurant is idyllic. It was May when I was there & the other customers were a lovely ecclectic mix of French, British & Australian. I don't think it was full to capacity or even near that, so it was quiet. Suited me fine.

Wonderful memories. I took the local bus into town to the market in Papeete and walked back. It's a LONG walk, but I was young with good leather sandals. Walked past some sort of compound with barbed wire. Army Base I think. Back at the resort I watched the family, children included picking mangoes off the trees on the grounds of the resort. They were packing them in boxes for the market. The kids were laughing as they worked.

I also remember having a fruit salad for breakfast which included some of the most beautiful juicy fresh tropical fruit I`ve ever had. I`m not usually an early riser, but the sun had just risen on a beautiful day. I recommend this place to people who are wanting to connect with the more citified Tahitian people.. (that said the city is small) and people who like markets.

I also now want to go back-to this same resort, but I also want to see some of the pristine clear waters & whiter sand beaches of Moorea or Bora Bora.

If you`re looking for an exceptional beach, wide & expansive, this isn`t the place. If you want a marina with golf course & tennis course, this isn`t your place. If you want a quiet uncrowded place with good food and a REALLY relaxed atmosphere, with good sunrises & sunsets this mayb just be the ticket.... also go to the Gaugin Mueum if you like art

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

The best customer service ever! Yasmin is amazing, friendly, real and helpful. The rooms are a bit dated but I hope they never update or else they will raise the prices. It is extremely peaceful, the grounds are lovely and being just a sprawling two story building you don't have the feel of a huge resort. Each room has a lovely patio with nice furniture. The short stroll to the restaurant/bar is beautiful amidst the flowering trees and shrubs. My favorite breakfast in the world: coffee at their restaurant overlooking Moorea with wonderful chocolate croissants. Evenings are perfect with a drink at sunset on their waterfront bar. I have stayed at other more expensive places but even though the rooms are flashier the atmosphere here is truly island relaxed. No matter what time I have arrived the service has always been great. The rooms are clean and the air conditioning is usually adequate, making it ok for sleeping. For a taste of real Tahiti stay here!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We originally planned a four night stay at this hotel and ended up staying six. The garden was beautiful and by Tahitian standards the restaurant was economical with a good menu. The adjacent bar had good sunset views overlooking the black sand beach.
The single most significant plus of this hotel was Yasmina at reception. The assistance she provided us was EXCEPTIONAL. She had good advice and solutions for everything with a smile and genuine willingness to help.
We stayed our first and last nights in Papeete at another hotel, rented a house on Moorea, and stayed three nights on Bora Bora. Although everyone we met was friendly and helpful there was no one with the knowledge, and patience, of Yasmina.
E-mail the hotel directly for the best rate: ---
Although there's a bus stop nearby I would suggest renting a car if staying for any length of time at this hotel. The bus service is cheap but erratic. And Le Truck? They must be invisible! I saw only three and only one was stopping for passengers.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

The rooms are pretty old, however the pool and garden are beautiful. There is a black sand beach in front that is good for swimming as well. The restaurant is pretty good and quite popular with locals. The staff is extremely helpful and they even got us free tickets to the Heiva dance festival. For inexpensive meals ask the staff where the "roulottes" can be found.

Been to Royal Tahitien? Share your experiences!