“Was ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arue
Scone, Australia
“Was ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed here either night of our stay on Moorea. We weren't there for long tho, barely saw daylight with our flight schedule. The room was nice, big and clean. The view was good to overlooking the water. We got room service at midnight when we arrived for dinner the first night, it was average but was quick so it satisfied us, we were tired and hungry! Breakfast was good, variety. We had dinner here on our 2nd night, it was pretty ordinary, and ridiculously expensive for what is was - wouldn't recommend it all. We found the staff friendly and helpful. I found the layout of the hotel confusing, as did my partner.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
cguardia, Directeur général at Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Ia Orana,

Thank you for writing a review about your experience in our resort.

I am glad the room and the view delighted you even if you just had few time to appreciate it! We understand that our restaurant seems expensive but we have normal price for Tahiti. As almost all the food is imported every meal cost more to cook.

I wish you the best and I hope that you will come back in our resort on an eventual future trip in our islands.

Merci/Thank you/Mauru’uru

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Oakland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was one of my all-time worse hotel stays – and we didn’t even stay overnight! Coming off of a cruise in Tahiti we had arranged for a ‘day hotel’ (at the rate of $150 per person, or, $300 for the two of us).

We had stopped to get a rental car so we arrived at the hotel at about 12:30 only to be told that no rooms were available and to come back at about 3. The lobby was full of people apparently waiting for their rooms. Then we were told that we could only use the room until 6 pm (even though our flight didn’t leave until almost mid-night. So we were going to get a room for three hours for $300? After an astonished (but polite) exclamation at this information, they reluctantly said that we could have the room until 8. The money had been pre-paid to the tour agency so we couldn’t ask for our money back, otherwise I would have.

Since we had no room at that point, I used the public restroom and found the floor covered with water (I almost slipped and fell), no toilet paper, no hand towels – a real mess. Obviously it had been used by dozens of people with no access to their rooms.

So we ended up taking a drive for several hours and came back to find the hotel was much calmer and a room was ready for us. There was a much nicer clerk (from Tunisia – he was taken aback when my husband starting speaking to him in Arabic) who was very helpful and led us to our room.

The room itself was nice – even had a separate room with a jaccuzi, nice bathroom and we even had a balcony with an ocean view. My husband went to use the pool to find that they were out of pool towels – he had to scrounge a used one to dry off before coming back to the room.

Unfortunately, I slipped (my fault – I dripped some grease on the floor from our snack purchased from the Carrefour) and badly twisted my weak ankle. Ended up having to be pushed through airports all the way home. However, the problem was complicated because we were on the fourth floor and the elevator broke after we came upstairs (the hotel is laid out so that each wing is separated with its own elevator)!! So I had to bump my way down four flights of stairs with a bad ankle and my husband had to lug four pieces of luggage down because no bell hops were to be found.

My recommendation is to not bother with a day room if coming off a cruise – especially not here. Just rent a car (make sure you get a car with included mileage if you plan to go very far) and go for a ride or rent an inexpensive hotel in the center of town. This hotel is on the opposite side of town from the airport. I wouldn’t recommend going to the airport to wait since it is a pretty spartan.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
tahitiradisson2011, Directeur général at Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Ia Orana,

I have well noted all your remarks including the price you were charged and propose you question your agency on that matter.
We have recently renewed our stock of Pool and beach towels and moreover cannot comment on your housekeeping notes and wish to confirm that an investigation is currently underway.
I take this opportunity to express my most humble regrets for the discomfort brought you during your stay at my resort. This is regretful indeed.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We ended our beautiful perfect honeymoon in bora bora with a stay here at the radisson Tahiti for the last few days. What a total disappointment. Staying here put a total downer on the start of our holiday. The staff are rude and don't want to know u (the French in particular, the local staff are nicer but still don't really care about u). The rooms were nice on first impressions until u stay in them and realize how impractical they are (no room to put ur suitcases, shower sprays water everywhere, can't divide toilet and shower, holes under the floor boards, very poor lighting in the bathroom, two single beds put together to make one bed, etc). We were backed right onto an elevator which creaked and moaned all day and night, it obviously hadn't been serviced lately. Meals were terrible and extremely expensive. The hotel is located in the middle of no where so u can't even go down the road for a quick meal or even to buy some groceries for ur room. We walked for 20mins down the road and didn't see any shops, not even a corner shop (we wanted to buy some water as it is dearer than gold at the hotel).

All in all, I would avoid this hotel at all costs, and we will warn anyone traveling to the area to avoid also, and we will never be returning.

• Stayed April 2013
Ia Orana,

I read your review with attention and I have well noted all your remarks. I assure you that these have been transmitted to the concerned services with immediate demand for action.

I regret that your experience did not meet your expectations and have difficulties in understanding on how many things seemed to have gone wrong. I wish to return you my most sincere apologies and can assure you this is a most unusual situation.

Lewiston, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I have traveled the world and I have stayed at Radisson Hotels in San Diego, Bali, and Arue. The Radisoon at Arue was clean, comfortable, and has a wonderful helping staff. The view and location are ideal. The heart of Papeete is a quick ride to town and the local bus service is excellent. You will not find a better view and relaxing surf environment any nicer than the Radisson provides. We were guests in 2012 and have considered returning. The people of Tahiti were absolutely wonderful and as kind and caring as you find anywhere in the world and we have been to every continent and much of Oceania.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ia Orana,

I would like to thank you for your kind review and appreciate the time you took to share your experience in our Hotel.
It’s always a satisfying experience to learn when a guest has had such a wonderful exchange during their stay in our islands and shared that something special with the indigenous population. Please come again and receive our warmest Tahitian wishes.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The location is a rare black sand beach near Papeete, Tahiti. The rooms are very nice, and we were upgraded to two-level suite. The setting is exactly what you would expect on your first day in Tahiti, romantic, exotic, beautiful. The only problem is the food is terrible. Breakfast buffet was $39 each, and it was actually the best meal, because lunches and dinners were almost inedible. Our bill for two nights that included meals was more than $800, there are all kinds of taxes and fees added on and food for a day costs as much as the room. There's no mini bar in the hotel rooms, and drinking water must be purchased. Overall, this hotel was very nice place to stay while in Papeete waiting for our Paul Gauguin cruise.

Room Tip: Bring electrical adapter if you are from USA because there are none in the rooms. If you want to us...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ia Orana,

I am sad to read of your disappointment in our restaurant service however relieved to note that you were charmed by our Resort surroundings and location.
I am following up with the Chef so as corrective actions will be taken.
I appreciate you writing me your observations as this is truly the only way I believe we may ensure correct quality control and delivery to our guests

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Originally had planned a couple of nights at this property but a flight delay changed that to one.

The open air lobby of the Radisson is very inviting, lush, and tropical. We were warmly welcomed by Laetitia at the front desk who had our reservation, including Club Carlson Elite upgrade, awaiting us. After the previous day no-show, there was some question about our reservation but Club Carlson came through with flying colours to honour our existing rate.

We were escorted to our Duplex Suite on the top (5th) floor of building two. I think most, if not all, rooms in this property have ocean views and ours was no less spectacular but nice being higher up.

The suite consists of a lower level living/dining/work area and half bath while the bedroom with full bath is upstairs. There is a large balcony on the main level compete with a couple of chairs and a couple of chaise lounges. The upper level has a smaller balcony with no furniture.

The room cleanliness left plenty to be desired. It was necessary to wear footwear throughout the suite, which has hardwood floors, or risk having very dirty feet. The upstairs bathroom shower had very noticeable soap scum stains on the glass enclosure and the hair of previous guests was evident in the bath tub and on the bathroom floor. Appears to be an indication of very lazy housekeeping, particularly in not having cleaned the shower in quite some time.

Access to the black sand beach is restricted to a pathway near the pool. The pool itself is a pretty good size, is right next to the restaurant and pool bar, and provided a nice vantage point from which to sip a tropical drink and view the sunset.

If you like the sound of waves crashing on the beach as you drift off, this may be the hotel for you. It's almost too loud. :-) The king-size bed was very comfortable and made for a good night's sleep.

Location-wise, this resort is about fifteen or twenty minutes from downtown Papeete which is not ideal if you want to spend much time in town. (2000 XPF = ~$23 USD taxi) From the airport, the cab fare is per posted prices at 2860 XPF + 100 per piece of luggage. The hotel does supply a free shuttle into town most days, leaving at 8:30 and, I think, 2:00 and returning at noon and five o'clock respectively. Not used for luggage transport, though, just for shopping. Nice feature given the expense of cabs.

Notwithstanding the cleanliness issues, we would have liked to have spent just a little more time here to wander the beach and hang around the pool. All in all, quite a good, but short, stay.

Room Tip: Try to get into an Ocean View Deluxe Suite which are the largest rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ia Orana,

Thank you for posting such a encouraging and a positive review on our Resort and wish to apologize for the regrettable situation with the housekeeping service.
I am happy to read that despite this you were able to enjoy your stay with us and planning to return, this time for a longer stay.

I look forward to greeting you on your next visit.

Best regards
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Very dirty hotel - thick dust under every item of furniture and even on shelves in the room. Horribly large smear on the full length mirror in the room - which should have been found on cleaning. Hotel did not have a nice feel about it at all - we only stayed one night on the way back from Moorea en route to Australia and I wouldn't have booked it except that it was misleading represented on the trip advisor map as 1/2 way between Papaetee and the airport which was completely untrue! Fortunately already knew not to eat here because of previous reviews, so cannot comment on the food (thankfully!) However, room was badly in need of refurbishment and totally not worthy of 4 star status. We stayed at a 3 star overnight Hotel on arrival which was much cleaner, more conveniently located and the room was considerably bigger. Only good thing was the bathroom was clean and we got an upgrade to a jacuzzi room which we used and was nice. Very isolated which is why they charge the earth for bad quality food. I would avoid this hotel at all costs. Only real benefit about staying here was the incredible sunset - nothing to do with the hotel!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ia Orana,

I have read your comments with attention and was surprised by your remarks on, the need for refurbishments as we have an ongoing room upgrading program. However, I do understand your disappointment concerning the cleanliness of the room. All this is under investigation by our housekeeping department. Please accept my apologies for this most unusual incident.

Merci/Thank you/Mauru’uru

Been to Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti? Share your experiences!