“Great food, understaffed hotel and services should improve” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 30% off
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Arue
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Great food, understaffed hotel and services should improve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed for few days on the way back from our trip to the Tuamotus (Rangiroa and Fakarava) We stayed at probably their best room - the OCEAN VIEW DUPLEX SUITE.

The hotel looks nice maybe even better the Intercontinental Tahiti. As the hotels in Tahiti are generally very bad, for better accommodation you only have few options.

Our suite was nice and big we had complimentary quite fast FREE internet (but with LAN cable provided by the reception)

The hotel is clearly understaffed (we had to wait forever at Check-in as there was only one French guy at the reception (quite a young person) which was not friendly at all, so the check-in process was very slow and negative in experience (I hope this guy is fired)

When we arrived with our 4 suitcases there were nobody in the reception (bellboy) who can help you with the luggage, I had to wait almost one hour to get the luggage in our room.
On the next day it took me 3 phone calls so I can get our suite serviced – they clearly do NOT have enough housekeeping personnel, giving us a lot of stupid explanation by telephone why they did not clean the room on time.

Also what is crazy for me is that even in the most expensive suite they have not stocked the mini-bar and we do not had even complimentary water. We ordered 2 bottles of water from the room service and I realized that I’m paying one of the most expensive water in my life (1 liter of the very, very average still local water O’Tahiti cost 750 XPF (about $8,36) That is bad, 50% more expensive that 5 stars resorts in remote places like Bora Bora and Rangiroa.

I liked the location of the hotel in ARUE and the Lafayette black sand beach – however the sound of the waves is so strong at night that even on the 5th floor is was impossible to sleep with open windows.

The best in the hotel was the dinner restaurant with fresh fish (tuna, mahi-mahi) and some of the best tuna Carpaccio and tuna sashimi we ever had ! The food there was the only reason I give this place 4 stars instead of 3. Also we liked very much this fantastic band from Marquesas Islands. That was very authentic !

By the way for trip to Papeete, if you want to visit at the best place to buy pearls for sure this is Robert Wan (we saw his Pearl farms in Tuamotus). My wife left the Robert Wan shop happy (not so happy was my credit card)

Room Tip: Ocean view duplex was nice
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
tahitiradisson2011, Directeur général at Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Warmest greetings to you,

I am sorry to read your review and the obvious disappointment that you encountered whilst staying in our resort. By the readings I can only guess that you were served by a junior member of my staff and wish to apologize for his seemingly lack of consideration towards you. I am presently looking into the matter including housekeeping incidents.

Happy to read you enjoyed the Duplex Suite and that the restaurant and the Marquisian show brought you enlightment.

Warmest Tahitian wishes to you and your loved ones for 2013 and sincerely appreciate your leniency to our inexperienced staff.

704 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Carmel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

The hotel my guess is about 30yrs. old. It needs a face lift. The rooms are normal size and the elevators are very small. The restaurant is not air conditioned but the rooms are. The rooms have wood floors. And the rooms have a patio. The rooms vary in views from clear view rooms to the ocean to rooms that look into trees that block the room views. The beach is about 50 yrs. from the hotel a easy walk. It has a couple of gift shops and a childcare room for the little ones if you need babysitting. The neighborhood is so so. We stayed their only one night because we couldn't get to Bora Bora the same day coming out of Los Angeles airport. The drive to the airport is about 15 ride. It would not be someplace I would stay for the entire vacation. It is a decent layover Hotel between flights. The food at the hotel was on a Sunday buffet. I would rate the food as average nothing to get excited about. The front desk and room service where very pleasant to deal with.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the middle of the hotel for good views of the ocean. Also pick the rooms high up for...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ia Orana,

Thank you to have taken the time to write your review and to share your description of the hotel.

I hope that your Bora Bora stay went well, and hope to see you back in our islands one day.Warmest Tahitian wishes to you and your loved ones for 2013.

Rancho Mirage, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We checked in to this facility as a "dayroom" end of a cruise. The hotel is very attractive, the rooms are quite nice, the views are good and the resort features are great. However, all of the positives are spoiled by very slow, indifferent, mediocre restaurant service with below average food. We were only there for 8 hours so it really didn't matter too much but, if we had been there for a lengthy resort stay we would have moved on the next morning because there are no alternative dining options immediately accessible.

Room Tip: Seek an ocean view room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ia Orana,

I have transmitted your remarks to the Food and Beverage department with clear instruction to take the appropriate actions to revert the situation. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for giving us your feedback.

I take this opportunity in wishing you our warmest Tahitian greetings and hope to see you back here among us one day.

San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This place, compared to its surroundings, looks absolutely breathtaking from the exterior and even to the bedroom, it's beautiful. However, that's where it ends. The staff here are absolutely horrible. Be prepared to wait anywhere from twenty minutes up to an hour before you can get helped at the reception desk. I don't know if it's French Polynesia's policy to be slow and mellow, but, if they were in America, they would be fired immediately.

Upon arrival, we get asked if we would like anything to drink -- we asked for water. We thought this was free, but when we received the bill for 1600 francs (about $20) for TWO waterbottles, we were floored and upset. Don't offer drinks if they're not free. That's not an offer.

Luckily, we only stayed one night in this dump before we went to the Hilton on Moorea. What a blessing that was to get out of this hellhole.

Be afraid of the breakfast, here, too!

Room Tip: Get near the ocean -- but, be advised, the ocean is LOUD.
Ia Orana,

All your remarks and observations have been taken into consideration. The rooms division manager is looking into your suggestions and will act upon these.

Please accept my earnest apologies for your negative experience and happy to hear that the remainder of your vacation went well.

Travelers are raving about these Arue hotels

Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

After a 8 1/2 hr flight and a $50 taxi ride we expected better service. We checked in and had to find our room by ourselves. We had to haul our luggage down stairs and if I had not allowed my hand carry to drop to the bottom I would have tumbled down with it! The room was nice, and on two levels. Upstairs, again...we had a bedroom and downstairs a sitting room, toilet, small sink and to use it for tea or coffee water impossible to fill the kettle unless you used a small glass. The fridge did not work, so I called for repair. Overall it is ok, but I would not stay here again! The buildings are somewhat confusing in their layout. Breakfast is very expensive... If you have the whole assortment it is $40 per person!!!! The grounds are beautiful, food fine and friendly service.

Ia Orana,

I am disappointed to read of the welcome you received and far from our usual standards. You are right in supposing that someone should of carried your luggage for you to your room as we do have a luggage service. After researching your arrival timing it is true that many arrivals at same time made it that porterage was busy elsewhere.

In reference to the fridge and because mini bar is on order only, the guest must switch it on upon room entry. This is part of our energy savings program and seems like this information was not given you on check in and regret this incident.

Please accept my sincere excuses for the inconvenience caused you. Please also accept my warmest wishes for 2013.

Portland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had hoped to replicate the wonderful Polynesian experience we had had on the other side of Papeete while going to New Zealand during our return. Not here, never again. The food we had for happy hour was so bad we chose not to eat dinner here, but trust in the morning they couldn't screw up fruit and cereal. Thankfully items at breakfast were edible, just shoo away the flies.

My wife and I paid extra to stay "flight to flight" and check out at 6PM. Unfortunately, they failed to make our key valid for the entire duration of our stay. Sadly, when the key expired, so did our climate control. So for the last two hours before our eight hour flight we got to stay in the very sauna we had paid extra to avoid while the staff ignored to complaint.

When we got home we complained to our travel agent and asked for a refund. As yet they have ignored both the travel agent and Quantas tours, apparently that is their forte.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
tahitiradisson2011, Directeur général at Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
I read your review with concern and regret that you did not proceed to bring this up with my management heads during your stay. It is difficult to treat your incident three months after your sojourn. However, please know that I have followed up on your comments with the concerned outlets actors to share with their personnel your comments and the need to be better aware of our guests requirements whilst in our resort. I have stressed for the necessity to apply more attention to detail and closer consideration to guests satisfaction.

Please accept or most sincere apologies.

Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed here following a Paul Gauguin cruise, and were delighted when we first walked in. The grounds are nice, the pool is beautiful, and our room was very large. The air conditioning in the room, however, was weak, and it took hours to get the room to a comfortable temp. Apparently, the hotels washers and dryers were all on the fritz so there weren't enough towels to go around.

We will not stay here again primarily because the drinks and food were expensive, slow, and horrible tasting. We went to dinner at 7:15 pm, because they told us that 7:00 pm was fully booked. When we got there, the restaurant was mostly empty. We waited for 20 minutes just to get a menu, and another 20 to order. 45 minutes after that, we had to go find the management to see if our food was coming. The food prices were very very high for items as simple as a club sandwich and caesar salad. The guacamole tasted like it came from a can.

We did like the small store selling hand-made crafts and thought it was funny that you could get a tattoo at a Radisson (we didn't but thought it was amusing nonetheless.)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ia Orana,

First, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I have taken notes of your remarks and spoken to my department heads at this morning’s meeting.

I am relieved that you did enjoy our traditional market which is part of our difference versus other establishments that is to introduce a local cultural flavor to our guests stay. Please rest assured that I shall do the necessary to improve on your service preferences and convey to you and your closed ones my warmest Tahitian wishes for 2013.

Merci/Thank you/Mauru’uru

Been to Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti? Share your experiences!