“disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 47 Hotels in Ostend
Wales
“disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

I wasn't expecting much after seeing reviews on here but I was still disappointed.

If I start with the positives... the staff are friendly and the bed sheets were clean.

That's it really. The food areas is tiny and the food is very average. The bar area is also very small and a little dingy.
The corridors to the rooms are dark and depressing. The room in general wasn't very clean. The carpets are very stained. The bathroom was very old and a little creepy. You can also hear other guests from their rooms.

Basically, I would say that women should avoid this hotel. Groups of men on a trip should be ok here as it is basic and reasonably priced. The bar staff are happy to serve drinks at any time of the day or night!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights in October. A coach load of us went to see a football game in Brugge which is about 20 mins away. The hotel itself was fine for us as we only wanted to sleep here, if I wanted comfort or luxury I would stay somewhere else, as mentioned by others the hotel is really dark and the stairs are very steep although these are a better option than the dodgy lift. Breakfast was continental so to speak, there was a toaster and a plate of cheese. The best part of the hotel was the bar, it was very relaxing and reasonably priced. You get what you pay for here so if you just want somewhere to kip this place fits the bill.

• Stayed October 2011
yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

We stayed at the empire hotel for two nights as we were on a coach trip with a party of 18 people, this hotel as far as I know has been used for coach tours for a number of years.
The hotel is in a good position and offers easy access to the coast, shops etc.
My personal view of the hotel is that the hotel overall is ready for a makeover. The place is quite dark and dank. The bar area was cosy but very small and provided a good atmosphere. it is open all night so I am not sure if the noise would carry to the lower floors, we had no noise pollution on the 5th floor. Ther is a smoking area by way of a sliding door by the side of the bar which created a cold draft when opened. There is a nice resteraunt on show near the front of the hotel with modern
decor however we dined in the back in a basic dining room, I never saw any one in the dining room. Luckily the bedroom was o.k. Very basic but clean White bedding and the shower nice and hot and clean facilities. The food we had was ok, again quite basic service was ok friendly bar staff and I thought the service in the dining room was ok, there is a small lift which broke for a day but was repaired the next day thankfully as the stairs are quite steep.all. in all not too bad, I won't stay there again but it's ok for a short stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Tampere, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Terrible experience! No ventilation in the room. After shower the little room was really hot and humid. And no window to open. Room was not clean. The bathroom had no sewer so water stayed on the floor. Shower curtain was dirty. Some other hotel quests made terrible noice (shouting, banging doors, screaming) during several hours during the night, the hotel took no resposibility of this.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
cordoba, spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We travel a lot and love trying different hotels, but I'm sorry to say this experience was well below par and one of the worst I have had around the world.

Problems:
- On arrival the receptionist told us she had been watching us parking and that we had parked outside someone's property (not allowed). She also noted we were facing the wrong way (also not allowed) - we asked why she hadn't told us this before when watching us for the past 10 minutes but as she couldn't suggest an alternative parking space, we brushed it off and moved the car to a car park nearby (20 Euros overnight for the pleasure).

- The shared areas of the hotel seemed promising (lounge, outside) however you enter the door to the rooms and it's 1950 - old, smelly, dirty, brown rooms which you cannot even swing a cat in. Fortunately we were 4 youngish ladies so had a bit of a giggle about the tiny double rooms we were sharing and promptly hopped into bed. We were going camping the next day (proof we are not fussy!) so all we wanted here was a basic good night's sleep.

- We drew back the curtains and realised our rooms had loose windows which backed on to a fairly horrifying looking open staircase / fire escape outside. We went to talk to reception as we felt quite unsafe and asked if any rooms on the other side of the building. We were told in no uncertain terms no there weren't and we should get on with it.

- Willing to draw a line under the above we went to bed but 2 of our group on the 2nd floor were kept awake all night by pumping music. They went down to reception to complain...only to find out that it was the receptionist herself who was blaring out the music. Absolutely shocking to be kept up all night (and I do mean 5am) by hotel's own staff!!!

We were told no one could help us with a discount or refund as the manager wasn't around. As a result you see this review which is the most negative I've given on Tripadvisor. Only redeeming feature of this hotel is a passable breakfast but please stay elsewhere if you possibly can. It was grim and backed up by laughably bad staff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Twickenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Hotel is being refurbished .The staff are very friendly.the rooms are kept very clean.Normal continental breakfast but a cooked breakfast can be ordered for a small supplement.Very close to town centre.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I actually have to agree and disagree with the above comments.
My stay in Oostende should have been for two nights but I only could get one room for the first night online in advance, as I was late with booking. So my first day I walked into the Empire to ask for the way, but after checking they had a room available for the second night. I was surprised how friendly and helpful the receptionists were and I was even given an invoice for my advance payment. The hotel lobby is small but very inviting as well as very clean.
When I finally checked in the next day I was told that my room wasn’t booked but after showing the advance payment invoice I immediately received my room key and was told of the main extras, for example breakfast and dinner times. The elevator up to the 5th floor was small and scary and made me walk the stairs until the next day. The double room itself is small and fitted only with the basics (bed, chair, table, wardrobe, TV, armchair). Even though it was a smoking room it didn’t smell. Everything looked old, the bed linen in a slight yellow color, the arm chair was broken down, the TV build on the top wall, but so small you had to concentrate to see anything at all and the window was located to a small inside area where the fire escape stairs came right along your window. As a good point though I could leave the window open while smoking and the noise from the street was around zero. The bathroom looked build in, very cheaply made out of plates to save the tiles. It was fairly clean and the bath tub seemed smaller than a normal shower.
Breakfast the next morning was included in the room rate and only available from 7.30am to 9.30am. It offered different breads, sweets, croissants, juices (not fresh), coffee, chocolate, tea, cheese, ham, honey, different cereals and fruits. Basic but all you need for a good start.

FAZIT: For one or two nights a standard single or double is ok considering you don’t spend much time in the room itself. For a longer stay I would book a bigger apartment or different hotel. Even though it wasn’t very clean/updated and had a few take backs, I was very surprised by the friendly hotel personal on different occasions (Even hotel staff has bad days and difficult guests are always nerve racking…) and the very good breakfast. As well the location both to the city centre and beach is fantastic.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Empire? Share your experiences!