“Classically simple menu executed with flair” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 549 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Classically simple menu executed with flair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

If you visit more than a couple of restaurants in central Bruges you'll soon discover that many will happily relieve a couple of 120 euros for a meal of mussels, Belgian beef stew, Waterzooi or steak with a starter and a bottle of average wine. This will be executed with the well-oiled dexterity of a business that knows they'll get away with serving up average food at grossly inflated prices in a lovely old building simply because the place is always rammed with new tourists fresh for the fleecing.

Fortunately there are exceptions to this and De Stove is one of them. Situated a short walk from the main square the restaurant eschews the traditional dark wooden interior for a light, smart but relaxed environment with tables generously spaced for the comfort of guests and ease of service. The menu has a gentle fish bias but there are enough choices to suit most palates.

Our hotel (The Duke's Palace) found us a table for Sunday lunch (something I suspect I might have failed to do if I'd phoned personally the day before). I started with a Carpaccio and foie gras plate and my lovely partner went for the scallop risotto. Both dishes were beautifully executed but the sweet scallops and rich but delicate rice of the risotto won the course for me. This was followed by lamb and duck fillets, each cooked deliciously pink (we'd been advised of this when ordering) and served with a light dauphinoise of potatoes with simple vegetables. We both chose the chocolate tarte for dessert (in Belgium it would be rude not to go for the chocolate option!) which had a deep, rich flavour and perfectly melting texture.

The Maitre(sse) D' managed everything front of house and while I suspect that there was just one person in the kitchen there was the air of quiet, confident efficiency that I love to discover in small restaurants. When we lunched at De Stove two of the ten or so tables were empty despite the restaurant advertising as being 'Complet'. Their clear commitment was to the quality of their offering rather than the number of diners they could cram through the doors.

Negative points? Well, being picky, what we eagerly anticipated as being amuse-bouche turned out to be more of a surprise-bouche; a small dish of popped corn and pretzels but that was just a momentary disappointment.

So, if you can resign yourself to Bruges prices and seek somewhere that takes pride in the quality of its food and service I doubt that you'll be disappointed with De Stove.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
Ware, United Kingdom
“Great Food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

10/10 four of us went and we had Duck, Steak and fish stew - all were outstanding. the house wine was good and service friendly and quick - I would totally recomend De Stove

Visited February 2014
“Stunning!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

My fiancé thought it was the best lamb he's ever had. My sea bream was beautiful too. It is run by a married couple and the wife was attentive and pleasant. Very quiet ambience but we found that in a lot of restaurants in Bruges. A must visit but also make sure you book in advance.

Redhill, United Kingdom
“More Please”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Lovely little find. We did not book, but were lucky enough to get the last table for the evening. The Hosts were very welcoming and the food was fantastic. De Stove is well worth seeking out. Even the bread was homemade.
I would advise booking in advance if you do want to eat here. And it is just off the main square. Will go again when back in Bruges

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Perfect meal on Christmas Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband and I dined at De Stove on Christmas Day and are very pleased we did. Located a very short stroll from the market square the restaurant is cosy and charming. We ordered the set menu with wine (for about 65 Euros each) which consisted of: smoked duck and foie gras, followed by a scallop and celeriac soup - both of which were perfectly flavoured and served with freshly baked bread. The main - wild boar with mashed potatoes on a bed of mushrooms in jus - was flawless. An apple and cinnamon dessert was also gorgeous and perfect for a winter's day. Each course was matched with a lovely wine and the dining experience was such a treat. The service was gentle and unobtrusive but still attentive and knowledgeable. Good value, great cooking and a wonderful way to spend a few hours. I wouldn't hesitate to go back or recommend De Stove to a friend.

• Visited December 2013