“LOVELY RESTAURANT WITH A TWIST” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #211 of 520 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, Dutch
Good for: Doing business, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
King's Lynn, Norfolk
“LOVELY RESTAURANT WITH A TWIST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We had a very warm welcome and sampled the Belgian beer before choosing our meal. The six of us had to make a choice of 3 starters and mains with the option of beer or wine to match each meal. We chose wine and the pairings were spot on. The waitress was very informative with regard to each of the courses and accompanying wine even if she did speak very quickly!. The food was great especially the prawns and the beef which I had. The restaurant wasn't particularly busy but the main course seemed to take a long time to arrive. However, this didn't worry me unduly as I like a break between courses but I guess it would bother some. I have still given Den Dyver 5 stars as it was my favourite meal of the 4 night stay!

Visited April 2013

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Nice presentation. Great wines.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Went to this restaurant with the Backroads tour group. Contemporary look in a historic setting with great wines/beer. Even though we were a large group, there was a good options for dinner. John Dory fish was cooked well and variety of sauces were great. Chicken was ok, nothing special.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Atmospheric”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had an excellent meal here on a Sunday evening - we could not get in the day before. The idea of ber with everything sounds a bit of a gimmick but works realy well with the beer very well matched to the food, and their wine choices were good too.

Visited April 2013
Bangkok
“Excellent beer and food pairing menu in lovely surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was instructed by my partner that I had to give this restaurant five stars!
She had the beer and food tasting menu and loved it. The beers got gradually stronger and thankfully, gradually smaller.
The food was very impressive as were the surroundings and the ambiance.
The service started a little slowly but they soon got into their stride and were very informative with regard to each of the courses and accompanying beers.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Durham, United Kingdom
“Sort Out Your Poor Service, Den Dyver!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is the second time I have visited Den Dyver and the overall experience left a lot to be desired!!
As last time, I visited with customers and colleagues. (One of my colleagues, who is a resident of Bruges, made the reservation).

One of the attractions of the last visit was the option of the additional beer or wine-tasting package. Last time this was superbly presented by a characterful somelier who brought the experience to life. This time, the service from the waiting staff left a lot to be desired. As the accompanying beers were presented, the service was rushed, and even my colleague from Bruges said he struggled to understand what the waitress was describing.

Before ordering his starter, one of my customers enquired if the mackerel dish was fresh or had been frozen beforehand. The waitress answered back in a very rude and abrupt manner - "Of course it's fresh, it wouldn't be on the menu if ti wasn't !!" I am aware that the standard of the food at Den Duyver is high and even this was a strange question for a customer to ask, there was absolutely NO REASON for the staff to be rude in reply!!

After having our starter, we then waited a full hour before the main course arrived. This was despite the fact that the restaurant was by no means busy, with only half the tables occupied.

Although the food was to a high standard, the service was very poor and spoiled the occasion.

• Visited April 2013