“Bad, bad and bad!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 549 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Description: Welcome to the Parkrestaurant,landmark for traditional Franco-Belgian Cuisine since 1989. We serve classics such as Cheesegratin with Scallops,cocktail of Northseashrimps Belgian Beeffilet in red wine sauce, Baby Dover Soles ,Grand Marnier Icecream parfait, Tarte Tatin, Creme brulee etc. Family owned and situated in a romantic 18th century mansion.During Weekends( and for parties of 4 persons and up ) we only serve the excellent value 4 course choice menu at 40.00 euro per person.All-inclusive menus available. A relaxed place for happy people.
Gosport, United Kingdom
“Bad, bad and bad!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We booked this establishment purely based on its high scoring on TA and was really looking forward to it.
After what I can only describe as a long and boring evening, we are very very disappointed to choose this restaurant for our Christmas Eve meal.
For £80 a head one would expect a lot. How naive of us.
I will start with the positive. The booking process was easy and they were very prompt in responses.
The restaurant is easy to find in Bruges and is located in a nice building. The decor seemed nice.
But that's where it ends for Park Restaurant.

We turned up and saw tables being set in a hallways of this restaurant and we prayed we wouldn't be seated there! Thankfully we weren't. We got seated and for a good 15 mins nothing happened. I knew immediately that the service wouldn't live up to its expectations. Anyway, no need for small details.
Here are the highlights of why this establishment is poor.
- we would expect a wider options for wine. To expect that everyone likes the same wine is a very poor knowledge of customer base!
- the startes were edible but not special
- mushroom soup needed seasonig
- the main course was venison.. And we would expect the waiter to ask how we'd like it cooked. Didn't happen and again, this only shows a poor customer service and assumption that everyone likes the same!
- dessert was an utter joke. A cheap ice cream.

Couple of more bad scores to add to the above:
- service way too slow. The dinner took almost 3.5 hours.. Which wasn't pleasant.
- the amthosphere in the room was dull and boring.
- only one toilet for ladies and one for men. Shocking.
- staff...clearly didn't want to be there.

And so to sum this up, we feel that this establishment was an utter waste of money, effort and time and our Christmas Eve!
We will not recommend to anyone we know.
Save yourself time and go to other wonderful places Bruges has to offer!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear DJG1983

I have read your review attentively and I am profoundly sorry, to hear that you had such a bad experience with us. It is, as you will, without any doubt, understand, our main ambition to see happy customers come and go.
Replying to every complaint in your list, so it seems to me, would be pointless and uncalled for.
Nevertheless I am thankful to be able to share my ideas , regarding your major points of criticism.

- Is it not normal to spend 3 to 3,5 hours in a restaurant for a 4 course meal, with aperitif, appetiser and afterdinner coffee ? Would one like to come to a restaurant at 7 o´clock on Christmas Eve and be out the door at 9.00 – 9.30 pm ?

- Is it not normal that the wines are carefully chosen in advance by the Maitre D´ and adapted to the different courses of the meal ? Is that not what an all-inclusive meal is all about ?

- Is it not normal that the waiter does not ask you how the Venison should be cooked, when there is only one way to cook it, which is “ rosé “ ? ( of course we would be happy to cook it anyway a customer likes, if only that person would speak. But in this particular case of Venison, it would be a mistake to even ask about the cooking )

- Is it not true that the good ambience on a table is mainly the result of a cheerful conversation between two persons over a dinner and multiple glasses of fine wine, rather than blaming the room to be dull and boring ?

- And finally, is it not normal to pay 79.00 euro ( not 80 pounds ) for a 4 course meal prepared with first quality ingredients and richly paired with excellent white and red wines plus coffee, and, as an extra bonus, a little Christmas-present in the form of a jar of homemade jam for every couple ?

The answer to all of the above questions, as far as I am concerned, is yes.

It is clear that our visions are different.

It is important though to know that behind this restaurant, stands an efficient staff of friendly and motivated people. We make mistakes, sure we do.
But every day, regardless of what some people might say or write about us, we start again.
Every day is a new opportunity, as well as a new challenge for us. And we take pride in fulfilling it.

The art of running a restaurant, dear Sir, is more than a 9 to 5 job for us.

It is our Life.

Please accept my best regards,

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Great food and value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Went on friends and trip advisor recommendations and was not disappointed booked online booking essential at the weekend as it was fully booked the 40 euro menu compulsory on a Friday was very good the scallops topped with rich cheese was superb as long as you expect this rich dish the only mistake ours and there's was trying to eat the bed of salt which we mistook for rice!
Great beef stew and desert good but limited wine list with some wines unavailable
In summary recommended and worth booking ahead when visiting Bruges

Dear Caspermainecoon,

Thank you very much for your excellent review of our restaurant. Our winelist is rather limited, yes. It offers a fine variety though of the most asked for wines. As a winelover myself, I can truly say that I have tasted every wine listed on the menu. If people want any kind of advice on chosing the right wine, I will be more than happy to help. Please accept all my best wishes for 2013 !
London
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My husband and I are foodies but wouldn't describe ourselves as fine diners but we loved the food and experience at The Park. A madea reservation purely based on the reviews on trip advisor and had a wonderful evening. The service and attention to detail was brilliant with the waiters explaining each option to us, we had the set menu and loved every course on there.

My only niggle was the booking process, I used the online booking process which I thought was straight forward and easy but I received an email asking me to reply to the email and told me that I would need to ring up on the day of my reservation at a certain time to confirm my table. I understand that people don't show up, but if i had made a booking, I would expect the restaurant to ring me to confirm my reservation if they needed to. However, I wouldn't let this stop me from returning to this fantastic place!

• Visited December 2012
Dear Amazing muppet,
i am happy to read you have enjoyed your evening with us. Thank you very much for your fine review.
As you point out, an alarming amount of people books a restauranttable without turning up or even calling the restaurant to cancel.
Calling up every client ourselves is virtually impossible. As a result of your comment though, we will now offer the customer the possibility to reconfirm by email. An easier and faster way then calling. Please accept my best regards, Axel
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We booked this restaurant purely on the reviews of trip advisors. And, o boy, that was the right decision. Even before we arrived they were attentive with the queries I had about my allergies.
The building and décor were very tasteful and beautiful. A joy to be dining in.
We had the weekend menu with wines, and it was wonderful. The choice of wines that accompanied the food was very well chosen.
The staff were superb: attentive, not pushy (a real skill) and even tried to accommodate my weird taste of having black pepper with my strawberries. (Try it, it taste delicious)
We have fallen in love with Brugge and also with this restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
Dear Nicki R,

Thank you very much for your candid review of our restaurant. Please be advised that we now have a giant stock of black pepper, should you need any during one of your next visits...

Please forward my regards to your friends and accept my best wishes for the coming year 2013.

“Outstanding Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My wife and I visited the Park restaurant as part of a weekend visit to Bruges and I can safely say it was the highlight of a wonderful trip. We were warmly welcomed to the restaurant and quickly offered drinks in the very cosy sitting room while we viewed the menu (set menu on the day of our visit with a number of options) we made our choices and opted for the recommended wine package to suit our choice of food. We were shown to our table which was simple yet elegant. The food was excellent and was delivered to the table at a relaxed pace which suited us perfectly. The wines chosen by the restaurant perfectly matched the food and were again excellent. The waiters were attentive and friendly without being overbearing as can often be the case in a restaurant of this quality. The meal was concluded by a surprisingly tasty Albanian cognac which was recommended by our waiter.

axel5123, Owner at Park Restaurant, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Matt Abroad,
Thank you very much for last Saturdays visit as well as your detailed review of your evening.
I am glad you enjoyed the Albanian Cognac which was as a matter of fact.... a present I received from one of my employees. But do not worry, the person who gave me the Cognac, was the same person who served it to you. He promised me he would bring me a new bottle ! Problem solved.
Best regards from Bruges,