“comfortable room, very friendly people” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marie-Rose Debruyne Bed and Breakfast

Marie-Rose Debruyne Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bruges
Marie-Rose Debruyne Bed and Breakfast
Lange Raamstraat 18, Bruges 8000, Belgium   |
Ranked #101 of 211 Bruges B&B and Inns
Newcastle Australia
“comfortable room, very friendly people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We booked via internet and were given directions in case there was nobody home, which turned out to be the case. We were horrified to find we were in the attic, up a tortuous spiral staircase, but once we'd lugged the bags upstairs it was all fine. The room was small, as usual in Europe, and sparsely furnished but a lot of thought had gone into it. It was airy and the bathroom was a big surprise, very modern though you did have to watch your head in the shower. Very clean, and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was excellent- we'd met Marie-Rose and Ronny the previous evening as we were coming in, they were going out- they apologised for not being present when we arrived, and as it was a Sunday afternoon I didn't blame them. The dining room is airy, overlooking the garden, and the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. Bruges itself is beautiful and a fairly expensive place to stay so we thought it was good value and we have very good memories of our stay. The stairs make it difficult for older guests (which we are)- I thought I would have a heart attack every time I dragged myself up them, but it probably did me good and in fact we had exactly the same problem over and over again in England.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Wales uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

ok let me start by saying that Marie Rose seems like a very nice person but that's all that's nice about this place i'am sorry to say,we arrived after a long journey from west wales it took about 14 hours in total when we got there for our 3 night stay there was no one to welcome us ( i think this is the norm as other guests said the same and there was always a letter or two in the hall for future guests to see themselves in ) we got into our 1st floor room via a very narrow and twisty staircase and boy was it hot in there and the decor was brown ,green, and some very odd yellow fluorescent lights,i then sat on the foot of my bed for it to suddenly leap from the floor it was of course a camp type bed with a 4inch mattress on it, so i then went to the loo and my friend went to wash up and as we both left the rooms together our respective doors stuck against each others and we were stuck for a few seconds great start,the table in the room was very very small there was no bin no tv so i thought i would go downstairs to the lounge well there is not one you can only access this area for breakfast so you either stay in your horible little room or walk into towm ( takes approx 15 mins ), next day at breakfast i put some toast in the toaster and it duly toasted it but when i put a second one in it would not, i was told it would have to cool down first Marie Rose did seem concerned and got her husband to go out to buy a new one which he did and all was well after that.i must say that the food put on for breakfast was pretty good, a drop of fresh milk for cereal would have been nice as this uht ( or whatever they call it ) is not very nice at all with ones cornflakes ,anyway i think i have said enough and if 65 euros a night is regarded as value for money then you are welcome to stay at this rather shabby hotel, but i shall never darken this door again.

Room Tip: if you are elderly it has to be the ground floor
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

We wanted a basic place to lay our head overnight and that is what we got. The affordable room rate left us with more money to enjoy Bruges.
For the price you pay it is ideal and located in a quiet residential area ten minutes walk from all the action. The room is clean with a tough futon style mattress, although the decor was quite unusual with a painting which practically scared me to sleep.
We didn't see much of the owners, but when we did they were very friendly and had a huge selection available for breakfast each morning.
This location is ideal for young travellers or travellers on a budget who need a safe place to sleep, shower and store their things during the day.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
New Market, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Arrived by train to Bruges June 22nd and took a 10 minute taxi(Mercedes, and about 10 euro) ride to this B & B. Owned by a locally well known architect, the exterior was remodelled in an attractive, understated way(very strict guidelines in this city). We were given a code to enter electronically to gain entry(conveniently written down on all key chains). We stayed in the room for three people directly to the left when you enter the house....a first floor room is rare in Bruges. I'm a 47 year old male who was travelling with my 75 year old parents. My mother has a bad hip so no stairs was appreciated. Our room had an entry door followed directly by another door. We had a queen size bed and a single bed with a bathroom in a corner of the room. We had plenty of sunshine with afternoon light pooring thru the windows which made the room quite warm with the gorgeous 70F+ weather we were experiencing. Breakfast was quite substantial with the variety of a major hotel, and something new and different every day. The variety of breads and pastries were overwhelming! We also always had several types of sandwich meat and cheese, soft boiled eggs one day, plenty of fruit, and things you may not expect like little chocolates and a Belgian brand of spiced cookie called Speculoos(and speculoos spread...heavenly!). There is a mini fridge in the room which came in handy, especially since our room got so hot from the summer sun. Important note for those that reviewed their own website: You ONLY have access to your room, the hallway and the kitchen(only for the hour breakfast is served). They have a lovely garden courtyard that is off limits, as is the rest of the house. They also give the impression that they are available to socialize with, but they are not. That was fine with us, but I think some guests may expect from what they read that they are available when they're not. You might get a morning "hello" from her husband, but Marie Rose is a delight and will try to help you with anything you ask for the hour that you have them(you eat on one side of the kitchen and they on the other). I wish I would have taken pictures of their huge round hallway doors that are hinged in the middle....guarantee you've never seen anything like them! It is a good (and delightful) 10 minute walk to the center of Bruges. Small grocery about a 5 minute walk. No cafes right near the B & B, but cars are not needed at all in Bruges. Taxis(you need to call) and buses nearby. I found a liquor store at 15 Academiestraat(close to the French Fry Museum) very useful...friendly guy with internet cafe in the back that only charged 1.5 euros an hour for a computer! Our room was 85 euros a night, which I thought was quite reasonable for 3 people and a huge breakfast spread. My bed was comfortable, but the queen size was not, according to my mother, The owner had to fix some slats that fell thru under the mattress one night. For those with cars, I believe they have parking available. All the guests seemed pleased for the 4 nights we were there. There is no nightlife nearby, some in other areas of Bruges, but this is not a city people go to party! It's also my favorite place on earth and I was quite pleased with my 7th visit to Bruges.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

We stayed two nights in this B & B. At 60 euro a night for a double, I'd say this was a decent value. The hosts were not at home when we arrived, but they left a note explaining how to find our room. We took a bus from the train station according to Marie Rose's directions and it worked out fine.

We enjoyed the funky design of the building, though some of the design elements were more fun to look at than user friendly. The shower in our room was arranged in such a way that if we turned around our bottoms would hit the shower faucet and turn it off (funny!).

The hosts were friendly and the breakfast was large--buffet style with bread, meat, fruit, cheese, boiled eggs, etc. Breakfast was served from 8:30 - 9:30 am (9:00 - 10:00 weekends). This was too late for us as we were traving in the winter and wanted to maximize our daylight hours site seeing. I understand, though, that a b & b is different than a hotel.

The location was fun, about 15 minutes from the main sites, with a nice neighborhood feel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

I truly enjoyed my stay here. The hosts, were both wonderful people of knowledge who opened their intriguing home to us.

The room was impeccable, the style unique, beds comfortable, bathroom spotless and oh so quiet. I slept like a baby!! Breakfast the next morning was incredible. I have recommended this B&B to several of my friends, each having taken my advice to visit Marie-Rose, each came back with the same awestruck happiness to have shared a similar experience.

Loved it, will definately go back again.

Bina

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Kelowna, BC , Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

I am not sure about some of the other reviews. I booked with some trepidation after reading them, but I had enough good vibes that we booked anyway, I am very glad we did.
Ronnie & Marie-Rose are an absolute delight, their house, while eclectic is very nice. Our room was super clean, and although small, very comfortable. The bathroom was compact, as normal in Europe, but very adequate. Our room had excellent ventilation with 2 large windows. The breakfast was the best in our 3 weeks in Europe, set up as a buffet, with lots of cheese, meats, yogurt, eggs, buns, spreads etc. Well presented and we were encouraged to make a take-away lunch. The location was superb, a short walk through the town (5 minutes) to the main square. An excellent restaurant " Tom's Diner" was 1/2 block away (one of our favourites, and reasonable). The bus to the BnB was a 5 minute ride, followed by a 5 minute walk. I am not sure the relevance, but Ronnie & Marie-Rose did live in the back half of the house, although they were both away a lot, they were there every morning and very helpful with advice or loaning their computer for emails. The addition of a small TV in the room would be nice though. It was a great value, and we would return again in a heartbeat. If you like BnB's you will love this place!

• Liked — Owners, breakfasts, location, value
  • Disliked — More access to TV, internet
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Marie-Rose Debruyne Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!