“Great, tasty coffee & cute interior - but menu and prices don't live up to the hype.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Books & Brunch

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 549 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: The combination of different kinds of breakfasts, light lunches (salads, sandwiches and seasonal specials) and our used-book store create a relaxing atmospere.We like to surprise with tasty, healthy food. Organic and vegetarian options are always available. As for drinks : freshly ground coffee, latte, capuccino, fresh tea, homemade limonade and ice-tea....The books are a mix of all genres of non-fiction and fiction. English and French books are available too. We also supply free WIFI and charging points for your laptop, phone and tablet.See you in Books & Brunch ! We're open from Monday to Friday, 9-17 h. Closed during Belgian school holdiays.
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This location is a little off the main tourist streams, which is refreshing indeed.
But 17€ for salads and 12€ for sandwiches really shied us away from eating lunch here.
The portions didn't look too big either. Nevertheless the quality of coffee and cake we ended up having was excellent, I wouldn't cool an apple tarte in the display cabinet though.
One fact after having read raving reviews which made me go there in the first place just simply let me down: I didn't agree on the prices being cheaper than the rest in Bruges (especially for it being an off-site location). It's just the town, I guess - for me it's shockingly exorbitant compared to the rest of Belgium that I had travelled!

As many mentioned before: yes indeed, this is a very nice, lovingly arranged and decorated
café and resto/bistro. I think the lunch or brunch menu didn't really have to offer something seasonal or properly cooked though - it overall lacked something extraordinary, some "finesse" to live up to the hype - so did the book selection.

I didn't like the fact that I had to go inside to order for the two tiny tables outside.
The owner and I didn't really harmonize, you could tell we wouldn't be the best friends spot on, which always takes two people, I guess. Yet he ended the job professionally: fair enough on his part. Don't get me wrong: it's nice there and very clean (bathrooms A+), maybe just a little too polished overall.

(Since we only had coffee and cake, my evaluation on food is respectively based on those only)

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Deroo_Jos, Owner at Books & Brunch, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thanks for the review. Glad you liked the interiour & appreciated our coffee. I'm pretty sure that, if you have tried the food, you would have like it too. Prices in Bruges are indeed higher than in the rest of Belgium... That is too bad, especially for us inhabitants 'cause we always have to pay too much :-) On the other hand, quality in Bruges is also pretty high due to competition, as is the case with us.

Bay of Plenty
“Wonderful atmosphere and tasty quality food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Popped in for a relaxed lunch on a rainy day, based on good reviews. Priced very reasonably for Bruges, excellent fresh quality ingredients and wonderful atmosphere. Best coffee we have had in our European 3 month holiday.

We had carrot soup and mega toast with chicken, bacon, ham, tomato and cheese.

Simple cafe menu, but as mentioned its about quality not a fancy selection which can often sound better than the delivery

Would highly recommend for a simply but lovely coffee and cake or lunch and would go back in a blink

• Visited July 2013
Deroo_Jos, Owner at Books & Brunch, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
It IS about quality. Thanks for the review !
“Great! great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful place a few mins walk from the real touristy areas. Great value meals. Good free wifi connection. Trendy place with great interior. Highly recommend!

• Visited June 2013
Deroo_Jos, Owner at Books & Brunch, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for highly recommending us. That's so nice !
Dublin, Ireland
“beatiful food, great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We ordered 2 giga croques, and they were magnificent. The accompanying salad was amazing, the basil was the freshest I've ever tasted.
It was a filling meal, and very reasonably priced for such fresh fare.

The mint tea was delicious, and I was told by my partner that the rhubarb lemonade was very tasty, indeed. That was another homemade item on the menu. The coffee got a tick, as well. Good size, and nice and grunty.

The atmosphere definitely invites to linger, and peruse a book (all of which are for sale), and make use of the free wi-fi offered.

And the bathrooms are very clean, too, which is always a good sign!

If you're in the neighbourhood, it's worth a visit; You won't be disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
Deroo_Jos, Owner at Books & Brunch, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you very, very much for this nice review !
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

As a keen traveller, coffee addict and book dweller - Books and Brunch was a brilliant find for me tucked away in beautiful Bruges.
Clean and fresh, the atmosphere of the shop is wonderful with friendly and courteous staff making for a brilliant experience. I was a particular fan of the National Geographic magazines being used as decor!! Books cover the walls and are available to buy or just to browse and read. The drinks and food menu was varied and affordable - for me, their fresh orange juice was a big hit!!
For anyone travelling to Bruges, make time to stop off at Books and Brunch, you will not be disappointed. It's simply fantastic, couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Visited May 2013
Deroo_Jos, Owner at Books & Brunch, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
We like to think of Books & Brunch as simple and if you think it's fantastic then that's great !