“Charming hotel, excellent breakfast, perfect location (central but quiet)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of De Castillion Hotel

You added De Castillion Hotel to your Saves list
De Castillion Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Heilige Geeststraat 1, Bruges B-8000, Belgium   |
Ranked #80 of 101 Hotels in Bruges
Burlingame, California
“Charming hotel, excellent breakfast, perfect location (central but quiet)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I had reserved for 4 days in the hotel's other accommodation (Gheestelic Hof) across the street, but on arrival was told that it was closed for upgrades/repairs of the electrical system, but I would instead be given a room in the more upscale Hotel De Castillion. The room and bath room were both spacious and nicely decorated, and scrupulously cleaned each day. # 6 overlooked the walls of the cathedral, so no view, but had a medieval feel. Location was excellent: central, but on a side street without much traffic. There is a courtyard and patio that would be lovely in warm weather, and there is a highly rated gourmet restaurant on the premises. Several parking spaces are available, but you might want to reserve one in advance.

I especially loved the breakfast each day: several different breads, also rolls and croissants, and scrambled eggs and bacon. Also yogurt, and cereal were offered, as well as fruit. There were an array of breakfast cold cuts and cheeses, and of course juice and coffee.
The reception staff was pleasant and gratiously called restaurants for reservations on my behalf, since the phone in the room was not functioning.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We booked this hotel based on ratings on booking.com. Regret to say reality is quite different. The staff at reception was not friendly, rude and condescending. Already at the reception area there is this pervasive smell of mildew (almost sewage like smell) which extended all through the corridors and up the stairs to the rooms. The hotel's decor looks tired and in dire need of renovation (worn rugs, oxidized radiators in the bathrooms, and the odor!!!). Dark room, could use better lighting.
The only thing that was up to par: the breakfast room and breakfast itself, which provided an extensive array of dishes to choose from (from cereal and bread to eggs and sausage/bacon, fruits and yogurts) and good location. The outside appearance is great, and with a thorough renovation it could indeed be a great 3-star hotel, it has the potential, but not a 4-star hotel (as currently indicated) especially not compared with other, truly 4-star, hotels in Bruges where I also stayed. Price/value: bad. I would not recommend this hotel in its current state, certainly not at the rates we were charged! Bruges is truly a lovely city, worth visiting (this was my third trip) but this hotel, regret to say, was a disappointing.

Room Tip: don't take room no. 15!! One of my friends got this room, two flights up (not easy with luggage...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I was traveling from Brussels to London, when I made a decision to stop in Bruges, since I have never been before. I am a corporate traveler, so immediately I looked for Marriotts or SPG hotels (where I have loyalty/points), but they don't have any. At first, I was a bit upset, hoping to keep my vacation as low-cost as possible, but after my stay, I'm glad I didn't stay at a corporate hotel - it would have taken away from the charm of Bruges.

De Castillion Hotel was tucked away on a pretty street, in between two of gorgeous churches. I was so impressed with how the entire city is like taking a step back in time, and De Castillion Hotel fits that mold, while still offering the modern amenities you would expect from a bed/breakfast type hotel.

My room number was 16 - a single room (since I was a solo traveler) and it was actually a bit more spacious than I expected, given the low price in a country like Belgium. I paid roughly $160 USD for one night and that included a really good breakfast, which is served buffet style and seated in their courtyard (glass enclosed).

If I were to ever go back to Bruges with a girlfriend or wife, I would feel comfortable staying at De Castillion Hotel again because of it's charm. It had a 'castle' feel to it and from my room, I could see one of the churches.

In terms of location, I chose it because it was one of the closest to the train station and I thought I would have to walk, since I had heard from friends that they don't allow cars into the city, to maintain the 'step back in time'. While that is not true (they do let cars into the city), there are very few, and the entire time, I felt I was transported back hundreds of years ago. Taxi from train station was 5-7 euros and she even recommended a great restaurant close to the hotel.

Everyone is very friendly and very English-friendly in Bruges. The restaurant I went to (recommended from my taxi driver, who was female), recommended a bar I should go to with great Belgian beer. Another great experience. Everything is walking distance, so don't worry about taxis, unless you want the charm of a horse-drawn carriage.

While everything about my stay was perfect FOR ME, please note I am giving it a 5 star rating for my purposes as a solo traveler on somewhat of a budget. I know there are more luxurious hotels in Bruges for over $1,000 USD/night, but it depends what kind of traveler you are. With that said, I had the smallest room in the hotel and it was clean, cozy and classy. They have bigger rooms that I'm sure would meet expectations for more luxury.

One last thing, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. It really seemed like I was walking into a family's home and they made me feel like I was a member of the family.

My only regret if I only stayed one night, both for enjoying the hotel, but also for enjoying the city.

-James

Room Tip: If you are solo and you are used to big rooms or you don't want a tiny room like you would get i...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night and felt so lucky this was the hotel we booked. Family run, very clean, excellent beds, very nice bathrooms, parking available, fabulous breakfast and coffee, amazing location. I cannot say enough about what a gem this establishment was. I was there for romance but noticed lots of families with children there as we'll.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

this family run hotel which is only a few minutes walk to the main square was a very pleasant surprise on our stay in Bruges. Rooms lovely and clean, but up a flight of stairs, ther is a courtyard entrance to the hotel which when the weather is good makes an ideal place to sit and have that late drink before bed. there is a lovely quiet lounge and small bar area. the breakfast had a really good selection of hot and cold foods served in a small dining area. staff were very pleasand and we travelled with our small family dog who was made most welcome. would recommend this hotel for a short stay or break in the city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Hotel was clean and very central - only ten minute walk from station and also a few streets away from Main square. The rooms were clean but very cramped. To be honest too much furniture for a very small double room. Double bed, dressing table and chair, two chairs and small table plus a stand alone wardrobe and table for case...it was like an assault course. Bathroom very clean. It was ok for a couple of nights stay but longer I think would be difficult because of the size of the room. We were also eaten alive by mosquito's and when my boyfriend mentioned it they said there is a machine you can use in the room - we would have liked to be advised that when we arrived - having said that the Staff were friendly & helpful. Breakfast: - Coffee good but food very poor quality food we didnt bother our second day.

Room Tip: Be careful of the carpet on the stairs as its lose and can easily sleep. Make sure you use the moisq...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a really nice, family run, hotel. We stayed in a basic double room. It was up a couple of flights of stairs (so maybe not ideal for older people) and was small but not cramped. The bathroom was spacious and clean. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The staff were exceptionally helpful in providing tips and directions. It's about a 10 minute walk from the train station and literally in the centre of Bruges so perfect for sightseeing. Can't comment on the restaurant as it was closed for the chef's summer holiday (pretty standard in Belgium) and we missed breakfast due to a rather heavy night in Bruges.

We'd definitely stay again and would recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to De Castillion Hotel? Share your experiences!