“Great staff and beautiful new rooms!” 5 of 5 stars

Lybeer Travellers Hostel
Korte Vuldersstraat 31, Bruges 8000, Belgium   |
Ranked #6 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Bruges
Buffalo, New York
“Great staff and beautiful new rooms!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My friend and I from NY stayed here for three nights and loved it. Easy walk to hostel from train station and east access to everywhere in Brugge. Our original room wasn't ready, still under construction, but staff had notified us ahead of time and were able to accommodate us in a different room. we also got a tour of some of the newer rooms and they are beautiful! Still need some finishing touches, mirrors, drapes, lockers, but they are aware of that and I can't wait to go back and see it all completed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
Antwerp, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The hostel is still undergoing reservations, and that is something that I might be willing to overlook, we had to travel up two sets of stairs for the shower and the bathroom on our floor had no lights and no lock, but ok, that was not insurmountable. The fact that the staff was complacent and absent was more of a problem to me, I'm ashamed of my own countrymen, the owner found it hard to belief that we were citytripping in Belgium, why should we not be able to do that, and we didn't get our key refund back, surely the staff should automatically offer that back when we give the keys back, however, I have no proof/receipt so no way to get the money back.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Not a good place for a good nights sleep. I had a single private room while 2 friends shared a 4 bed dorm. Neither rooms had curtains so both fell victim to the blaring sun in the early morning. My room was right next to the top of the aging creaky Stair case so anytime anyone so much as looked at the stairs creaking echoed throughout my whole room day and night. The stairs themselves were your typical winding narrow stairs which wouldn't be an issue if the hand rail didn't feel as though it would fall over in a slight breeze (most unsafe I felt in all of bruges). Work on renovations commenced early in the morning adding to the list of things that would interrupt sleep. Water pressure in the showers is best described as medieval so it's hardly worth the wait you endure to have one. Only spent the one sleepless night here before moving to another hostel a block away. When we told the owner where we had stayed the previous night he laughed and told us that 3 other people had moved from the Lybeer to his hostel just in the past few days.

• Stayed July 2013
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

First off, don't buy into the pictures you have probably seen with listings for this hostel. The rooms look modern and amazing - they're not, certainly not the one I was in.
I had read some reviews before booking so knew I was in for construction around the place and it was fine, not too intrusive at all. However, I think it would have been nice for the staff to acknowledge the renovations at check-in - but not a word was said. In fact, the guy didn't have a lot to say at check-in or check-out. This was your classic cattle-mart type hostel - they just want to take the cash, and keep looking ahead to the next backpacker that will come in the door. Nothing special.
That said, the location was good - central to everything you want to see and do in Bruges. And when the place is renovated, maybe it will look like the pictures on all the websites.
If you are planning to be out and about your whole time in Bruges - particularly at night, then this would work. I was luckily out until 2am sampling the wonderful bars around town so when I got back to the hostel it was straight to sleep. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed lying in the bed of the cramped dorm trying to sleep otherwise.
Limited bathroom and shower facilities due to the renovations also makes it a bit uncomfortable and everyone is competing for a few minutes to wash or pee. Again, it would have been nice for a few notes of apology around to explain what was happening. The floors around the showers are absolutely soaking wet so makes drying yourself a bit tricky.
A positive out of the hostel for me was that there was a walking tour running from a neighbouring hostel 'Bahaus' and I met some great people on this tour and had a nice evening exploring Bruges with them afterwards.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Cologne, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

After the construction the hostel will be quite nice in Brugge and a good place to stay for travellers that prefer a quite place to crash withour social life.
For the moment there have been constructions going on on all floors and it surely will be the same for 4-6 month.
And for this they charge the full price. Sadly unfair.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed in the Lybeer hostel which is not far at all from the train station thankfully as I was arriving around 11pm and didn't fancy walk around all night with bags. Great location. The rooms are really we refurbished although the rest of the hostel is still under construction. It was a great central location to base myself for the weekend. I had decided to go for a cycle to the coast and went to Knokke. I got up early to get a good start but it turns out there was very little open in the town before 10am. Still I got on the road at 10am and headed out of the city. I can safely say it was one of the most enjoyable cycles I've ever been on. Nice comfortable bike and wonderful canals to cycle along. They are truly stunning and lined with endless rows of trees. Knokke was nice albeit very different to Bruges. More of a seaside resort.

A tip for the belfry is to be there at 9.30am when it opens. I can bet there would be massive queues for the day as the city was packed with tourists. I was able to get straight up and down without huge crowds which made it more enjoyable.

I had a great time in Bruges and would highly recommend a cycle out to the countryside if you're planning to visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Slightly saddened to see a great deal of negative reviews on this place. If you're looking for a 5* hotel, then you will be disappointed. However, it had everything we wanted from a hostel. After a long day of travelling, we checked in quickly and easily, given clean sheets, given a code for after 11pm, and offered information about Bruges. We stayed in an 8 bed room and had a lovely view outside of our window.

I have stayed here twice over the last two years (for a number of nights), and each time met some lovely people- the hostel has a great atmosphere at night. The renovations did not bother us (even if there are only 2 showers as other reviews are saying, for a budget hostel, I wouldn't expect any more?).

Recommend over the other hostels in Bruges for backpackers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lybeer Travellers Hostel? Share your experiences!