“A 'must do' in Bruges if you like your photography” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The mission: Help you discover Brugge, inform & inspire your photography. Both our open and private walking photo tours provide a guided view of medieval Brugge through a local travel photographers' eye, with a priority to provide you with both essential & hidden sights in the right light. Choose to learn or simply focus on locations, a photo tour for -all- photographers.
London, United Kingdom
“A 'must do' in Bruges if you like your photography”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I came across Andy McSweeney's website, http://www.phototourbrugge.com, whilst spending two nights there last week and booked on the day for the 4pm tour. Having already seen the main sights in Bruges this was an opportunity to have a look at places I wouldn't normally have come across during a short stay.
Andy is a very amiable guy who knows his photography and knows Bruges. He took us on a great little route with lots of photo opportunities and showed us photos he had taken on a tablet as we walked round.
I wished I had discovered Photo Tour Brugge earlier in my stay so I could have fitted in another tour.
If you like photography this is a 'must do' in Bruges. My wife came along as a +1 non-photgrapher and enjoyed it too. I would recommend pre-booking as tours do can get booked up.

Visited August 2013

• Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Rockhampton, Australia
73 attraction reviews
“Must do activity in Brugge for any photographer, of any skill level”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This tour as one of the best things we did in Brugge(other than drinking beer)
Andy is an excellent photographer and instructor, With a pleasant, easy going personality. We ended up being shown several sights around town and ended up with some great photos and some new techniques to try out. Andy also provided us with information on other sights to see around Brugge and some bar/restaurant recommendations. Very worthwhile and great value.

Visited August 2013
Houston, Texas, United States
9 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Experience with Andy McSweeney and Photo Tour Brugge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I love travel and I love photography, at which I am a very experienced amateur. I recently had a business trip in Europe and had the opportunity for a long weekend, and chose to spend it in Brugge.

I checked out the Trip Advisor ratings for tours and attractions and saw that Andy McSweeney's Photo Tour Brugge received exceedingly high marks. He offers 3 group tours, each 2 hours or a bit more, and after an email exchange, I signed up for all 3 on the same day. He also offers private tours. The group tours are strictly in English, though Andy speaks French and Dutch as well.

My day turned out to be absolutely beautiful, although it followed a bad patch of weather, which may have been the reason I benefited from being the entire group for 2 of the tours, and 1 of 2 for the other one.

This tour was all about walking around Brugge to the best spots for the best shots with as much technical advice as you need, and avoiding the worst of tourist crowds. Andy is a very relaxed and personable Canadian who married a local woman and has been in Brugge for more than 10 years if I remember correctly. Spending the better part of a day with him felt like getting to know a new friend who happened to know the local community well and was a professional photographer. Whether you are a pro who only needs a good guide, or the rankest amateur photographer, you will enjoy this day and come out of it with wonderful pictures and stories about Brugge.

There's quite a bit of walking involved, but almost exclusively on relatively flat and smooth surfaces. For me, that was a plus. One certainly sees more walking than any other way. The medieval center of Brugge is as lovely as pictures you can find online demonstrate, and is fairly compact.

Really a perfect day on all counts.

Visited May 2013
Ascot, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Great few hours!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We We only booked the tour that morning and despite it just being myself and my partner Andy showed up keen & eager to show us the sights of Bruges. We booked on to the 4pm tour and spent a thoroughly enjoyable few hours being shown sights that we otherwise would never have seen. We are already keen photographers and Andy met us at our level, this was really beneficial. Having his tablet present meant that we were able to take ideas and work on them. Andy was very patient and supportive. He was also great company! I have no reservations about recommending this tour to others - you really won't be disappointed. Thanks Andy!

Visited June 2013
Mount Juliet, Tennessee, United States
“Favorite activity in Belgium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

On our two week long 25 wedding anniversary trip to Germany, Netherlands, Luxembourg, and Belgium, my husband and I had experienced many cities and historic sites by the time we reached Bruges at the end of our trip. I found a flyer for the Photo Tour at the check-in at our hotel and asked at the hotel about the tour. The gentleman who checked us in said that several of their guests had enjoyed the tour, and that we should consider it if we were interested in that sort of thing.

Intrigued with the idea and looking for something different, we checked Trip Advisor and were pleased to find so many positive comments and reviews. My husband emailed Andy and asked about booking for later that same day.

We met Andy and found him friendly and personable. He asked questions about my level of experience and what I wanted to see and learn. We got started immediately. Andy was able to put me right at ease and to give very specific advice about both technical and creative photography techniques. He was encouraging and patient but willing to make corrections and suggestions to improve various shots. He has a tablet with him and is able to show the student a variety of shots in various locations and explain his process in getting each shot.

We took the 1:00 tour, which focuses on historic sites of the city. We enjoyed it so much that we stayed for the 4:00. I have taken photography courses in the states and found this course to be a great value for what we received. It is a good concept and I applaud Andy for his entrepreneurship and his hard work. In looking at my vacation photos before and after our time with Andy, I can see improvement which is to his credit. I found myself more comfortable with my equipment by the end of the day, which was one of my initial goals.

If you take this tour: wear comfortable clothing and good shoes because there is a lot of walking. Also, make sure you have extra batteries/charged batteries for your equipment and plenty of SD cards. My husband really enjoyed getting to know Andy, so don't worry if you are the Plus 1 without a camera, you'll have an entertaining time as well.

Visited June 2013