“The Passage on a Budget” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Passage
Dweersstraat 26, Bruges 8000, Belgium   |
Ranked #90 of 101 Hotels in Bruges
Bristol
“The Passage on a Budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

We stayed at the Passage hotel 1 night on our way back from Germany and thought it was great.
We originally planned to stay in a Hostel, but it was booked up.
The guy at the hostel gave us directions for the passage hotel.
45 Euros for 2 people plus breakfast. This considering you are in the center of Brugge is fantastic.
We had dinner in their restaurant, massive portions and a real atmosphere (Very dark gothic ).
The choice of Belgian beer is also extensive.
The rooms are basic in the sort of hostel side of the hotel we stayed in i.e - showers and toilets in the halls.
But let's face it, if you can get a room for Two with breakfast in Brugge for 45 Euros it's not half bad! - Oh also there's free beer for guest who dine there.

Stayed October 2006

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Coventry UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2006

Have just returned from Brugge having had a thoroughly enjoyable 5 day break. We did not stay in the hotel but ate in the restaurant. It was the best find of the holiday. Great food at the right price and very friendly atmoshere. we would definitely eat there again.

Stayed May 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2005

Firstly, I checked the hostel web site with some reviews and everything seemed fine. I decided to book there, but when I came I realized everything was different.

Bad beds, lots of noise, rude attention, misinformation about times and policies. More than that, some staff tore my baggage.

Terrible!

• Stayed July 2005
SF CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2005

I've been to Brugge twice now and have eaten at the Passage several times. The food is excellent, along with their beer and wine, but what really made the place special is the people.

Sabine the hostess, hopefully she is still there, was so kind and seems as if she really enjoys taking care of her customers. I really enjoyed hearing her stories of travel, especially Morocco.

You won't be dissapointed eating here.

• Stayed February 2000
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2005

Having surrendered a passport (fortunately not mine) to the security of an unlocked draw in the bar we proceeded to the 'Room'.

I disagree with the previous review, the room did not remind me of Coldiz, but rather of a Scandindinavian Red-Brick University, gone to seed. Rather than perusing Proust on well thought-out seating arrangements, the only reading material in Hotel Passage were the incoherent scribblings of backpackers on the beds and walls. I too saw the anoraked individual pacing the streets of Brugge, and would have alerted the authorities if it had not been impossible to give a description due to the fully raised hood (despite absence of rain).

My activity tip for the Hotel Passage would be: Sit on the bunk-beds drinking supermarket beers around the waste-paper bin. This activity is entirely in keeping with the ambiance and surroundings.
Bar and restaurant are very good though.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2005

Brugge is always a pleasant experience, none more so than after the joys of flying Ryanair to "Brussels" followed by the subsequent cross country journey. Shortly after our arrival we were to be found checking into the Hotel Passage, chosen by my friend because the name tickled his none-to-adult sense of humour.

Having checked in and left a passport in the safe hands of the owner we proceded to our dorm. At this point I was praying that my friend would stop making jokes about passages sometime before one of us died. My mood was not improved on entering the room, which brought to mind scenes from Colditz. Further inspection revealed that the sink was blocked, and previous occupants of the bed I was later to sleep in had articulated their thoughts on the owner of the hotel on the bunk beds. I was then interrupted from the contents of their mind - for want of a better word - by the arrival of the other occupant of the dorm. This individual hailed from Dublin. He wore a large raincoat all the time and had a very large rucksack that never left his shoulder. We saw him wandering around town several times that evening. He claimed that he was looking for a decent bar. But if that really was the case then he must have been blind - Brugge really does have a fine selection of bars. And despite what I have said above about the Hotel Passage, I have to say that the bar and restaurant at this establishment could not be faulted.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2004

I have just spent a weekend in Bruges staying at the Passage Hotel in the hotel side (there is also hostel accommodation). My stay was satisfactory: the service was great, my room was very clean and very comfortable. Although this is a cheap hotel and the above points provided me with good sleeps, there is one glaring weakness. The shower facilities are extremely poor. For the entire hotel side, there is only one shower stall, a very small mouldy room on the ground floor. Each room does have its own large sink with towels which is the only bearable way to clean oneself. The stench of the mould was too much for me. As long as one does not want a thorough wash, the hotel is fine.

Been to Hotel Passage? Share your experiences!