“Poor Hostel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 23 Specialty Lodging in Bruges
Santiago, Chile
“Poor Hostel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

This hostel is not like the rest of St Christopher's hostels around europe. You have common bathrooms (that are poor and mixed) and the rooms are very simple. The insulation of the rooms with other rooms or even the bar is not the best, so on weekend you may feel the music. They do have a bar and a restaurant with good prices and the hostel is close to the city center.

They offer a free walking tour (day and Night) that is ok, a good way to get to know this small city.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Poole, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

When booking this hostel there was no mention of an age restriction (I am 16) and as I am new to hostels didn't even consider there to be one. So upon arrival with my friend (also 16) I was amazed to hear that you had to be 18 to stay there. After about 2 hours, they finally said that there was a room at the top of the hostel where an ex-employee had been staying that we could use. This was very messy with things all over the place but we were too tired to care. There was no clean sheets on the bed but we were told they would bring some up. After going down three times we finally managed to get some by midnight and then we made our own bed.

Also, there was nowhere for our bikes (which suprised me as I thought being a hostel, they would get cyclists all the time). They told us to just leave our bikes outside. From a neutral perspective, the queue in the reception was constant as the staff appeared to be very slow. This meant that even when you wanted to ask the simplest of questions you had to wait for 5 - 15 minutes. If it was very cheap then I wouldn't have minded as much yet it was more expensive than many of the hotels we stayed in. It is a shame that my first experience of a hostel went like this and this has made me more likely to stay in hotels next time. Overall, this hostel is probably really good if you are 18, not a cyclist, not in a rush and do not have high expectations. Sorry for the moaning I but felt it necessary.

Room Tip: I've heard that the 10 and 16 bed rooms are a lot better.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Mathieu R, Assistant-Manager at St Christophers Bauhaus, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Greetings,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. Every bit of information might help
us improve.

I apologise that your stay was not optimal, but we did try to help you out as much as possible.
Our company policy says we do not allow persons under 18 to check in on their own. They are only allowed to stay in private rooms, or in dormitory rooms that are booked for use of one family or group of persons, unless otherwise is authorized by a family member.
All bookings must be on the bases of one person = one bed. This is for Security and Fire Regulations.

Your friend and yourself, both minors, came into our hostel around 11pm to check-in. You booked a dorm room from what I understood from our receptionists. Because of the age restriction that is applied to those dormrooms they could not let you enter that said dormroom.
There was no adult accompanying the both of you to sign a waver as well.
Because it was late in the evening we were a bit concerned of turning down two minors, so we looked for the best available option. That was an extra unused room of a former employee.
This was the only option because we were fully booked and could not place you into a dormroom; or in an to expensive private flat.
I'm sorry you had to wait a bit for the clean sheets, but on evenings that time we do not have allot of staff around; reception was still busy with other check-in, bartenders can't leave a full bar immeadiatly. In the end you have received them.

Then for the bikes. We have some cyclists now and then, but the majority comes on foot/bus/car. We have bicycleparkings right across the street from our hostel that are safe to use. Our receptionist even offred to put your bikes in our cellar but you declined his offer and said that it would not be needed.

Afterwards we also asked if everything was well for the two of you and you both said you were happy with the stay. If we would have known during your stay we would have done the best effort to improve our hospitality.

Kind Regards
Hamilton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Clean accommodation. Good location. Worst nights sleep. Room was directly above the hostel bar and music went until about 3am it seemed. I could hear every lyric of every song. When I looked the next day the speaker was directly below my bed. Invest in earplugs. WIFI was useless. Kept cutting out and at one point was turned off for half the day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

As Bruges is a small town, the location's hostel is good. Is possible going to the main attractions walking. The breakfast is good. The bathroons are not so clean.
My slippers were robbed, so, my advise is to putting all your stuff on the locker!
There is a bar under the hostel, and I was in a bedroom above. I couldn't had a good night's sleep.
A nice place to stay 1 ou 2 night...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed one night in the 10 bunk pods which were pretty neat - curtains, little shelf and a light. however the bunk beds creaked and the lockers were loud and pretty much bothered the rest of the room every time you moved. the next night I was in a 5 bed room which was a lot quieter obviously and I wasn't in a bunk bed, and was on the top floor so it was isolated from the noise from the bar and had a nice skylight.

the bar is really fun, however as mentioned it gets really loud sometimes. the restaurant was okay but it was expensive. the free breakfast is just that - free, so don't expect too much out of it but sustenance. and get there early as well.

the one thing that would make me reconsider staying here again is the wi-fi situation. not only is it unavailable in the rooms, but it's ONLY available in reception, where there are limited seats and it's quite unpleasant. there is another lounge area in the back but for some reason there's no internet there either. i don't really understand why. another thing that would make me reconsider staying here is that a lot of the showers are absolutely HORRIBLE. many don't drain, are covered in hair, etc. it's pretty unpleasant.

they recently got rental bikes which would have been very nice, but unfortunately it was raining the nights I was there. all in all, i would probably stay here again as the value was pretty good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

I would definitely stay here again. I stayed in a 10 bed room with pid beds. Everyone has 2 outlets and a light at their bed and a curtain. Guests get discounts at the restaurant and bar. The restaurant is okay. I wouldnt recommend the veggie burger unless you want a deep-fried potato on a bun, but everything else that i ate was good. The free breakfast is average.

• Stayed June 2012
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

Hostel rooms poor as we're toilets and showers but the breakfast pub and location in general was nice - only stayed a night but would stay again

• Stayed June 2012

Been to St Christophers Bauhaus? Share your experiences!