“Why be average when you could be great?” 3 of 5 stars

Relais Bourgondisch Cruyce - Luxe Worldwide Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wollestraat 41 - 47, Bruges 8000, Belgium   |
Ranked #8 of 101 Hotels in Bruges
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Why be average when you could be great?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

There were several excellent things about this hotel. The location cannot be beat, close to everything and on a lovely canal. The front desk staff could not have been nicer and although I'm not sure, I believe we got an upgrade which is always appreciated. The charm factor was off the charts, the public areas cozy (world class artwork on the walls too) and the web site perfectly captures that fact. But the hotel falls apart on amenities. For the cost of this hotel pretty much everything should be thought of and isn't. There was no coffee/tea maker in the room. There was one small bottle of complimentary water but it was never restocked. There was no clock in the room. There was no mini-bar. No turn-down service. Bruges is the city of chocolates so why on earth would the hotel not give you a mini sample box or a chocolate on your pillow? The bed was nearing the end of it's usefulness - clearly old and very lumpy. Despite being a good size, the bathroom was the worst part: mold on the ceiling, dirty grout, and when I dropped something down the drain of the tub and went to retrieve it ...... oh dear. There was hair wrapped around the drain cover that had to have been there since the beginning of time. No bathrobes or slippers, no q-tips or other fun bathroom goodies other than basics. Finally, the towels were threadbare, literally so threadbare you could see through them. Sigh. Listen up Relais Bourgondisch Cruyce! We want you to be a huge success! But you have to go that extra mile for your guests. Good enough isn't good enough. Aspire to be great, get your amenities and cleanliness on track then no doubt every one of your reviews will be 5/5.

Room Tip: There are no truly quiet rooms at the hotel (front faces canal with lots of tourist boats, entrance...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
mandevillle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

When you read the reviews you pretty much get the picture. I'm not sure that I can add anymore. We arrived mid afternoon by car and the staff helped us quickly to get our bags from the crowed de street. I didn't reserve their parking so I had to use the public spot which was very near and only 9 euro per night. Our room overlooked the canal on the 2nd floor. When we were in the room, sure I noticed the boat tours but they didn't bother us at all. All we had to do was close the drapes to get privacy. As far as noise from other rooms goes, yeah you can expect that in a 16th century building when folks get in at night. If that would bother you then you should probably stay at the Crown Plaza. Great help with dinner reservations and other advice. Overall an extremely cordial staff. We did the breakfast one day which was great. Great weekend in Bruge during a longer business trip.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Petworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I hesitate to write this having read page after page of glowing reviews. The positives are that the hotel is a beautiful little gem in the perfect location to explore Bruges surrounded by a canal, myriad shops and restaurants. Our room was a classic double with a side view of the canal, nicely decorated in floral themes, spotlessly clean and with a sizeable bathroom. Slightly disconcerted that there were only net curtains at the huge bathroom window, no magnifying mirror and no bathrobes. As soon as we arrived I went down with the flu so hoped to have a hot bath, wrap myself in a thick robe and boil up a cold remedy...which was impossible as there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. This is a real annoyance in what is toted as a luxury hotel. Another small annoyance is that you need to ring the doorbell to get into the hotel at any time of the day or night. Several times we were hanging around waiting to be let in! If you arrive by car then be aware the nearest car park is about five minutes away - get ready to rattle the cases over the cobbles! Despite these tiny irritants the overriding success of this hotel is the staff. I hope I am correct in recalling Raol who seemed to work around the clock whilst we were there but he was ever smiling and ever helpful. He is a credit to the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room (15) looked to the side of the hotel where there's wooden decking outside the hotel opp...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Just returned from a 2 night stay, so glad I booked this as it was for husbands birthday so I wanted it to be perfect, and it was! 1st class service from the moment you walk through the door. Looks impressive from the inside & out & even though I booked the classic double the room was very elegant, more than big enough & had a massive bathroom! You can pay more for a canal view but how much time are you in the room! We had breakfast once at the hotel & sitting in the stunning breakfast room by the open fire, over looking the canal sipping a glass of complimentary champagne was just perfect. Thanks Relais for a fantastic weekend! Two doors down as you turn left out the hotel is 2be which is a must to go & have a drink overlooking the canal then go shopping for beer!

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I picked this hotel based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and even though I usually stay in budget hotels, I'm so glad I splurged. The location was perfect (I highly recommend staying close to the market and NOT the train station), the room was beautiful, and the staff was amazingly helpful. I had some issues with charging one of my devices, and Raul (?) at the front desk got right on it, and even came up to my room at some point to help me out. And did I mention the view? I was on the top floor, and from the bedroom had two stunning views of the canal. I only had minor issues: there was no alarm clock (which was not a huge deal since you can get a wake up call), it took a while to figure out the door lock, and the lobby had a beautiful flower arrangement with something I'm allergic to, but there's no way to control for that. They'll tell you to take a taxi from the train station, but if you take the bus into town (just a few minutes), it is a very very short walk. And if you do a canal boat ride, you'll be very proud that you're staying in the hotel at such a picturesque location!

Room Tip: I didn't make any special requests but got this great room. It might be a bit noisier closer to...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Spent a weekend here with my partner, it wasn't actually our first choice but we're definitely glad that we got to book this hotel instead.

First impressions were that it was beautiful, we arrive after dark, so the hotel looked amazing with the lights on. We were then welcomed at the front desk and had the staff took care of parking our car at the hotels private parking.

Once checked in, we were shown to the room, we had paid for the room to overlook the canal, they aren't large rooms, but the view and the location made it just perfect.

We chose to have the optional breakfast on our first mornings stay, again, the options shown seemed initially disappointing, however the waiter soon came to our table to offer some hot food options and then again later to offer some waffles or pancakes.

I would definitely stay here again and will make sure to book it if I am once again staying in Bruge. Even if I must now be in a hundred photos, from people taking the boat tours around the canal!!

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the canal only if you like the boat tours starting in the morning and the endles...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Calne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I recently stayed again in what has become my favourite hotel. As on all previous stays, I can not but comment on the excellence of the hotel's accommodation, cleanliness and the attention and service of the staff. Frederik, Isabelle, Roel and everyone else I have met during my visits.
I write this because I have noted that it is not just me they have looked after but I have seen and heard the way they all give their best to everyone that comes through the door. They are professional staff and are willing to go out of their way to help their guests.
Well done to all of them and I take this opportunity to wish them all the best for Christmas and the Ney Year.

Room Tip: I have always liked a room on the upper floor, all the rooms I have seen are lovely and have their o...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo

Been to Relais Bourgondisch Cruyce - Luxe Worldwide Hotel? Share your experiences!