“Highly recommended and well situated” 5 of 5 stars

Portinari Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   T Zand 15, Bruges 8000, Belgium   |
Ranked #61 of 101 Hotels in Bruges
edinburgh
“Highly recommended and well situated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Surprise birthday present for husband so booked the junior suite. Huge room and thought the additional lounge space would be a waste of time considering the 2-night stay but turned out to be the best thing due to the World Cup. The room mini-fridge held the bottle of champagne we brought with us just nicely! A beautiful hotel, spotlessly clean and a lovely varied breakfast in a lovely bright and airy dining room. Agree with another review just read that on arrival the receptionist was none too friendly and quite dry and abrasive. Very well situated and restaurants on either side very good and good value for money. Celia Duncan from Edinburgh

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Hungarian first
Kessingland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

I have just returned from a two night break in Bruges, staying at the Hotel Portinari. I travelled with a small group of friends and booked the trip through Eurostar.
I have made several trips to Bruges and have stayed in a few hotels of a similar 4 star standard so I feel qualified to make a reasonable judgement.
I should begin by saying that the hotel was excellent value for money, being noticably cheaper to book than other 4 star properties in the central area of the city. It is also very well located on the T'Zand square, about 5-10 minutes from the Railway station and about the same again from the centre of the city.
First impressions were very good. The hotel has a pleasant and fairly impressive frontage with a nice covered terrace facing the square, which I've no doubt would have been very nice in the warmer months when it is in use. The interior is very smart and decorated in an attractive modern style, with a spacious dining room and very stylish public areas. Unfortunately though, one of the hotels more negative points manifested itself immediately upon our arrival....the extremely surly girl working during the day time behind the reception desk. Our welcome was as cold as ice and the young lady concerned clearly thought that being young and attractive negated the need to be at all friendly or welcoming and in fact gave her the right to be rather abrupt and distainful with guests (having read other reviews I see I'm not the only one to have noticed this!).

The rooms were clean, smartly furnished and modern but were extremely small, in fact probably one of the smallest rooms I've had in a hotel of this class...Well that's what I thought until I saw our friends room next door which was even smaller than ours. In fact when we were discussing the lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the room, my friend said that it was probably because they couldn't fit a kettle in the room!
That said, the rooms contained everything we required for a short stay including a flat screen TV and a fridge/mini bar and the beds were perfectly comfortable. The bathroom was again quite compact but was also smart, modern, clean and well equipped with both a shower and small-ish bath.

Our rooms were at the back of the hotel on the 4th floor and had a view over the adjacent rooftops towards the towers of the cathederal and the Belfort.

Leaving the room leads me rather conveniently to the other significant negative about the hotel. Throughout the three days and two nights we were there there was a noticable and unpleasant smell of drains filling the corridor off which our rooms were situated.Thankfully this didn't extend into the rooms themselves to any great extent but made the journey from the lift/stairwell decidedly unpleasant. Since cleaning staff were clearly using the corridor regularly, they must have been aware of this problem so I'm surprised that it wasn't promptly addressed.

On a more positive note, we used the dining room for breakfast. This was excellent. There was a very varied and good quality array of hot a cold food and thankfully the staff in serving breakfast were much more friendly.

All in all, The Hotel Portinari was quite good albeit with a few areas which it could be improved. I'm sure the issue of the smell in the corridor is probably a short-lived one. The rooms are small which may be an issue for some people although for most people on short trips this isn't really a problem given that in every other respect the rooms are perfectly comfortable and well equipped.
My main reservation is that in a relatively small hotel, which did not appear to have many guests, I would have expected a bit more effort to be made to provide a warmer and more personal level of service.
I would still have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone looking for a good standard of hotel, in an excellent location for a competetive price, however I would say that for a bit money it is possible to stay somewhere better and with a warmer welcome.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Kingston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

This was our second trip to Bruges in within nine months, we decided not to stay at the previous hotel. Instead my wife and stayed for three nights at the Polinari, end of September 2009. We were so sorry to leave, wished we had booked more nights, but we had Eurostar return tickets. The breakfast is advertised as 'Continental', they are too modest, it is more than a full English, eat it, and you will not need lunch. And the kitchen staff, so helpful and friendly. In spite of the nearness of bars, we had three nights of uninterrupted sleep. The hotel is located an exact ten minute casual walk from the train station, I timed it myself, more than once. The manager is very helpful and personable. Sorry, but I found the day receptionist a little stuck up, like she was doing us a favour. The room was immaculately cleaned each day.
We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

The staff at the hotel were very friendly. The rooms were well equiped and very quiet. The location was excellent, I was a bit worried about noise at night as there were a few bars beneath neighbouring hotels but we did not hear anything. Took only 5/10 minutes to walk to the main market and the same to get to the ice sculpture show. Would recommend to friends and family, and will rebook for next year.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

South East England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

Have just returned from a three-night stay. The room was very comfortable and nicely decorated; the public rooms attractive and spacious but what really stands out about this hotel is the fabulour breakfast buffet. Not only is there the traditional 'English' breakfast fare but also a wonderful array of cheeses, breads, branded cereals, fresh fruits and pastries but what really impressed was the bountiful supply of smoked salmon - truly the best breakfast buffet I have ever experienced in a Continental European hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

I arrived in Brugge without accommodations and found a room at the Portinari for a reasonable rate. While the location is not in the center of town, everything was a short walk and it was easy to find the hotel. The room was small and in the back of the hotel with a view of the church spires in town. It was quiet. The breakfast buffet was excellent with eggs and meat in addition to the traditional continental items. The only downside was that there was a steep fee to access the internet via the hotel's wifi. I enjoyed my stay and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Dorset UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

My wife and I visit Bruges every year for a four day break and usually use the Portinari. It is definitely a 4 star hotel as far as Belgian hotels go. Rooms are very clean if a little compact. Breakfast is excellent with a good range. The small but comfortable bar is spoilt by smoking being allowed and we would not use it for that reason. It is a short walk to the Markt calling in on The Chocolate Line on the way in Simon Stevin Plein.

Roy

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Portinari Hotel? Share your experiences!