“Avoid” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 101 Hotels in Bruges
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked via an online travel agent - Five Star Alliance - to stay at the Hotel de Orangerie  from Thursday 25th of October to Sunday 28th of October 2012.  Our stay was a total disaster.

As I had received no confirmation at all from either agent or hotel, I rang before leaving on the Thursday afternoon to confirm that we were staying at the hotel for the weekend. I was reassured when the receptionist said she had found our reservation.

My partner was therefore astonished to be told after breakfast on the Saturday morning that we had to check out immediately as the hotel had our stay as being for 2 nights, not 3.  My argument, that I had not only booked for 3 nights but also confirmed my reservation directly was not accepted.

If you read some of the criticisms of this hotel, you will repeatedly find the word 'attitude' used.  Unfortunately, I also found this to be the case; there was no ownership of the problem by the hotel staff.  It was suggested that 'my' travel agent had made a mistake, and there had subsequently been a 'miscommunication' with the receptionist, for which I was apparently responsible.  We were offered 'free' breakfasts by way of compensation, which  I refused.

We were told that as the hotel was fully booked for that night, they could only offer us accommodation elsewhere - at The PAND Hotel across the canal.  We were left upset, angry, and humiliated as our luggage was wheeled out of the Hotel de Orangerie and down the street.

Despite having to pay an even more expensive room rate (€378.90), our room at The PAND Hotel (Room 107) had no view other than the back of another house.  Our room at the Hotel de Orangerie (Room 108) had looked out over the canal.  I also found the salons a little bland and certainly would not have chosen to stay there.

I subsequently  wrote to the Hotel de Orangerie and received a hugely disappointing response from the manager; although one in keeping with the attitude we encountered during our stay.  If you read some of her replies to other negative reviews on this site you will get the  idea; she is sorry you feel that way but nothing is ever their fault. There was no apology.  Most of her reply seemed designed to annoy and irritate even further.

It's a great shame, as the  location is excellent and the hotel charming.  I should also put in a good word for the chambermaid, who was extremely sympathetic towards my partner whilst we were having to vacate the room.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nathalie V, Manager at Hotel de Orangerie, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Mr Stammers,
We find it very sad how you deal with your own mistakes!
You try to blackmail us first by email in order to get some compensation for your fault booking. After several mails, I passed all you emails to your Tour operator Five Star Alliance.
They sent you an email , which clearly stated that you have made your booking online for 2 nights and not for 3 nights. Furthermore, you received also your confirmation of your booking for the 2 nights.
See here the email of your Touroperator Five Star Alliance, if you wouldn’t have read it :

“Dear Robin Stammers,

We apologize that there was a misunderstanding in the number of dates booked. Our system shows that you made your reservation online on September 9th, 2012 for October 25th - 27th (2 nights). The booking form which you filled out to complete your reservation displayed the dates clearly prior to completing the reservation. You also received a confirmation email shortly after the reservation was made which included the dates of your stay. We have included the automatic confirmation email which was sent to you on September 9th below:

Search and Book Luxury Hotels Worldwide:
Five Star Alliance”

Because you didn’t receive any compensation for your own errors, you try to blackmail us again trough Tripadvisor
Moreover, I find it very sad how you deal with it.
The error was created by your own and we have done everything to find another hotel , to worn your luggage to the other hotel, your car stayed one night longer in our parking , etc
I hope next time, you will double check your own-made booking before going on holiday, this will solve troubles in the future!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were torn between this hotel and De Tuillerien across the road where we eventually booked. Knowing now what i know i would book The Orengeria next time. We popped in for drinks after dinner one night just to see what we were missing, as you do. The customer service was fantastic, the girl behind the desk took us to the small beautiful bar area, rearranged all cushions and any other out of place items and within minutes complimentary snacks and our drinks were there. An absolutely beautiful place , I just wanted to say a small thank you as little things make a big difference and this hotel is beautiful and made us feel very welcome. A lovely little find

Room Tip: Book this hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nathalie V, Manager at Hotel de Orangerie, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to write a nice review!
it's very pleasant to read that you have felt the atmosphere and that you have the eye for details.
Hopefully, next time we can welcome you back in our Hotel as our guest in house!
Holbrook, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I can't say enough about the front desk staff as they were beyond extremely helpful. They accommodated us on a very early check-in and also helped us get our rental car situation straightened out when the Belgian train strike happened. This would have been a miserable experience without their help & we are extremely grateful for their patience and assistance. They were also great in helping us decide what to do around town.

The hotel itself is in an extremely convenient location and just behind it are boat rides on the canal. The common areas of the hotel on down to the lobby bathrooms are all very nice and have all the charm of Bruges one could hope for. We did not have breakfast in the hotel but this was for no reason other than the fact we choose never to have breakfast in the hotel we stay in. The room and hotel overall were very clean.

I don't enjoy critiquing a place that was so helpful but when you take on the distinction of being one of the "Small Luxury Hotels of the World" I think you open yourself up for whatever criticism is thrown your way in the interest of improving to maintain such a distinction.

Our room was pretty small. It is one thing to be cute & quaint but something else when you can barely position your luggage so you can walk comfortably around the bed. As a single room it would have been fine but its a bit cramped to be a double. Our shower had no curtain or door and water splashed everywhere. The shower head mount was positioned in such a way where it was very difficult to take a decent shower let along maneuver your legs away from the shower hardware protruding from the wall. I am probably not alone with most Americans that I do not like having to take the shower head down and use it like a garden hose on myself. The shower door was kitchen-cabinet style with no true knob. This kind of door is not entirely uncommon in Europe but I would have expected a place like this to have a proper bathroom door. The bed wasn't comfortable to the expectations of a place like this either.

I'm sure most of the above was a product of our "luck of the draw" due to the time we checked in, but our experience is what it was. We would be more than happy to stay here again and give another room a try next time.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a canal view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nathalie V, Manager at Hotel de Orangerie, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review about your recent stay.
It's very nice to read that the front desk staff is very helpfull . I will pass your compliments on to them.
We are always open to receive some criticsism in order to improve our quality in service and in accomodation.
We work on it very hard and the improvements will be noticed by your next stay in our Hotel.
We hope to welcome you back in our Hotel.
Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel was booked as a birthday surprise by my two girlfriends and what a treat and we stayed in room 319. The swing doors to the loo was a little off putting but the view from the room of the skyline and rooftops was great. The hotel was right on the canal ideally located for a short walk up in to town, staff couldn't do enough for us. Afternoon tea was lovely, breakfast was great. We just found the whole experience lovely. The hotel also recommended a great restaurant about 3 mins walk away - Couvet - a small restaurant but service and food great. Nothing bad to say about this hotel at all!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much to write a lovely review about your recent stay!!
It's very nice reading that you have enjoyed your stay.
And we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I booked this hotel despite some fairly negative reviews, as it was last minute and The Pand hotel didn't have availability. We had rooms 319 (the belfry) and room 216. The belfry is the family room, with a sitting room which I imagine doubles as a bedroom and then a bedroom next to it. My impressions of the room on arrival was that it was quaint, however, after 3 nights I felt that on reflection , it was a little shabby and dingy, with inadequate lighting. The main issues with the room were: 1) two small swing doors into the bathroom off the bedroom that were awkward to manoeuvre and didnt maintain sufficient privacy for our liking. 2) no tea or coffee making facilities in either room, although there was room to include a fridge with a half bottle of veuve cliquot, so surely it would have been too much trouble for some tea and coffee. 3) the quality of the towels was shocking. They were tiny and very thin/old. Not of the quality I'd have expected from a SLH hotel.

Room 216 was lovely though, and if I came back I would stay here but not in the belfry. I would also ask that the towels be refreshed, with larger bath towels.

The major selling point for the hotel and the reason I would come back was the communal area where we enjoyed a glass of amaretto or two in the evenings by the open fire. It does get a little too cosy if there's more than one party in the room, and on one occasion we decided to to make use of it because of another quite loud group, however, most evenings it was possible for us to use.

Overall we would stay here again if we came back to bruges, however not in room 319 and we definitely wouldn't have breakfast. It was overpriced and whilst theres a fairly decent buffet, the breakfast itself is one egg cooked any way you like. I chose poached and couldn't eat it, due to the overwhelming taste of vinegar. The hotel were good enough to remove this from the bill when I raised it, however, my other guests felt cheated, because most of the buffet food had been eaten by groups earlier in the morning and when asked if there was more smoked salmon was told no. No matter we just ate out for breakfast.

The major issue we had though during our stay was their insistence that we try the restaurant Maria Van bourgondie just around the corner. We asked for a dinner recommendation and this was the only one provided. We took the card provided to us and I checked the reviews I. Trip advisor and decided against it. We the. Attempted to get a booking at a different restaurant before asking the receptionist for another recommendation. She insisted very strongly that the reviews we read we're not to be trusted and that all otHer guests she had sent there thought it was great. We felt assured from her recommendation and decided to try it. It was shockingly bad. I was extremely annoyed about them sending us there and told them afterwards how annoyed I'd been (see my restaurant review on trip adviser for the details). They became increddibly defensive, so much so that I didn't feel comfortable providing any other feedback to the hotel afterwards on any of the other matter raised above, and I was so disappointed.

We ate at several other great places whilst in Bruges that were far better priced and such better quality. If in doubt just book Assiette Rouge, or try Gault Millay restaurant guides, where you'll find much better quality and lower priced places.

Despite this it's a lovely shabby clique hotel and I would stay here in a different room 216 looked fine, but I would eat breakfast here or take restaurant recommendations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Nathalie V, Manager at Hotel de Orangerie, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review. However , we were disappointed to read your review.
First of all, about the belfry room.It's a large lovely decorated attic room with a wonderful view on the Belfry tower. Don't forget , this building is a very old monastery of the 15th century. Because it's a classified building and we cannot change anything at the construction! Furthermore, this is just the charm of an old building.
We are a 4star hotel and we have a 24hours roomservice. The quality of giving roomservice is much higher than the tea and coffee facilities in the room.
All the towels and bedsheets has been changed 2 months ago. Every guest has another desire, the one likes thick , fine, big,small,etc towels, this is personally!
It' s nice reading you enjoyed the bar with the fire place. It's like being home.
About our breakfast buffet, we cannot understand your comments! The breakfast is very appreciated by our clients: a large assortment of high quality cold & warm dishes, fresh orange juice, coffee, thea . The buffet is permanently supplemented!
We have a lot of experiences with the recommendations with non-touristic restaurants. They are checked by the management of our Hotel, before we recommend it to our guests.
Despite our recommendation, guests can still like or not like the restaurants.
It's very rarely that guest not like the restaurant we recommended.
We hope, despite your comments, that you still have enjoyed your stay and that we can welcome you back in the near future.
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This small hotel is perfectly situated to explore Bruges. We stayed four nights and were delighted by the cosy friendly atmosphere of this well appointed hotel. The staff were fantastic and seemed genuinely keen for us to enjoy our stay. Our canal view room was comfortable and quaint with all modern facilities including a six foot bed.
The breakfasts were to die for and served in an elegant breakfast room again overlooking the canal. The old city of Bruges is right on your doorstep and a must for anyone to see.
When we go back to Bruges we will definitely stay at Hotel de Orangerie.

Room Tip: go for the canal view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nathalie V, Manager at Hotel de Orangerie, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your positive feedback about your recent stay in our Hotel.
Indeed, the Orangerie Staff does everything to give our guests the feeling being at home and try to forsee in all their needs.
We hope to welcome you back in our Hotel in the near future.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Just like the whole of Bruges, walking into the Hotel de Orangerie is like walking into a fairy tale. Located directly on the canal with its entrance nestled on a charming side street, the hotel is exactly the place you're looking for to fulfill that magical experience which is Bruges.
The magic begins immediately in the hotel's anteroom. Filled with comfortable upholstered furniture, the focal point is a large trompe l'oeuile painting of a colorful country cupboard.
Continue on to the lobby and other public rooms, which are totally sumptuous with views of the famed canal. Steeped in rich dark woods the bar/library is the perfect spot for enjoying high tea or an evening cocktail.
Our room was on the small size (no surprise here) but decorated with lush draperies and club chairs in pretty chintz fabrics. On the down side, the bathroom had poor lighting and a hand-held shower with a mind of its own. Like so many European hotel bathrooms, this one, too, had non-existent ventilation.
We only stayed one night before catching an early morning train to Amsterdam. Fortunately, we were able to enjoy the hotel's breakfast which is included in the room price. Elegantly displayed, the buffet included thinly sliced smoked salmon, a bowl of finely chopped fruit, assorted cheeses and Italian meats, flakey croissants and more. Eggs are made to order. Everything was delicious.
There are so many wonderful small hotels to choose from in Bruges, making deciding on one very difficult. There was something about the photo of the ivy-draped walls on the bank of the canal that made Hotel de Orangerie so captivating. I would definitely stay there again and have no hesitation recommending it to fellow travelers.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the canal side, worth the extra money.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your wonderful review!
It 's a pleasant reading that you have enjoyed your stay in our Hotel.
We hope to welcome you back in our Hotel very soon.

Been to Hotel de Orangerie? Share your experiences!