“the good, the bad and the ugly” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 101 Hotels in Bruges
England
“the good, the bad and the ugly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I was travelling with a friend and we had two suits - top tip, don't stay in suit 706 if they offer it to you, it is directly below the swimming pool and when someone goes swimming the noise is really bad. OK, the good - the location is fantastic - you can walk to everywhere and it's quiet (except for the noise of horse hooves going by). The staff are very friendly. The bad - it is desperately understaffed - I was woken up by housekeeping asking if they could clean my room (this was at 9.30 am) - my friend's room didn't get cleaned at all on the first day even though we were out the majority of the day. The car parking is under the hotel and desperately claustrophobic - I knew this in advance but wasn't worried as it said they had valet parking - they don't - they did park my car for me in the end - but valet parking it wasn't. Nobody showed us to our rooms. The carpets are filthy - my friend said she wished she'd bought slippers as she didn't like walking on it. The toilets in the suits are tiny - basically a "water closet". Cheap and nasty toilet paper. Small towels. Basically it's all a bit shabby and well frankly, ugly - shame as it could be a really good hotel but you just feel that they are doing their best on a skeleton staff. Don't try room service breakfast - they never collected my card on the first night - the internal phone system doesn't work so you can't phone reception or room service so I had to go down and take them the card - I wish I hadn't bothered - some greasy bacon, the "cornflakes" I ordered was a bowl with a little of several different cereals in it (I have a serious nut allergy so this was not good for me) and for 23 euros, plus 6 euros room service charge it really wasn't worth it - there are lots of lovely cafes around that do fabulous waffles for a fraction of the price. I know I always harp on about breakfasts but there is nothing better than breakfast in bed in a good hotel when it is well done - when I find a hotel that does this I will write a glowing review of it - this hotel definitely NOT. The staff are very friendly though, so I can forgive them a lot and would go back - I just hope it improves in the interim. One last gripe - why oh why have huge double beds with two single duvets on them?

Room Tip: don't chose room 706 unless you like having a swimming pool directly above your bed
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
BruggeCPB, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Brugge, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. It is thanks to your personal review that we are able to improve our services and quality.I want to apoligize for the inconvenience you had. I will take these issues up to see what we can do to improve.
I was informed about the breakfast doorhanger and telephone when you left. I spoke already to the persons in charge for both issues. A breakfast needs to be served at time as requested we have to take our responsibility to do our utmost.
My roommaids try not to disturb our guest but on the other hand we want to prepare the rooms to serve our guests as best as we can. Can I advise you to hang out the do not disturb sign so my housekeeping staff will not distrub you.
Can you please let me know by mail in what room your friend was, because I will definitly check what went wrong with that room.

Thank you for your comment and I hope that you will return in the future to our hotel so we can proof that we improved our service and quality.

Best regards

Lucas Bakx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Perfectly situated on the square in the heart of Brugge. Anything you need is a short walk. Hotel staff are friendly, attentive and very knowledgeable of the area and amenities. The rooms are spacious and clean. Pool on site was great for the kids.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I got a really good deal via PriceLine.

Often time hotel will write down the price of the stay and treat their customers accordingly. I don't feel that I was treated any differently from other regular rate customers. The front desk staffs were all very friendly and helpful. They were quite flexible and accommodating for the bed choice. They offered great suggestions for places to visits, gave very detailed directions and agreed to print out train tickets. The location is close to all the attractions in town. The room was clean and comfortable.

All in all, I can't say enough good things about this hotel. I would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting Bruges.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hotel is modern and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast is included in many of the rates. I had two breakfasts included in my room, but they gave me two more for free (I had four in my party). The hotel location is perfect and is right in the middle of town. It made it very easy to loop back for access to the bathroom, to drop off souvenirs, or to pick up a jacket. As with many European hotels, the rooms aren’t particularly large. Our room had two queen beds, but with my two teenagers, it was a tight fit. If I were to stay for any length of time, I would bite the bullet and get two rooms. Overall, a very nice stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

It is in the middle of everything and the food in the restaurant is good. The connection to WiFi is not that good. It is very clean and organize. The portions of the food in the restaurant are extremely big. In general it is a very good hotel and in the best location

• Stayed July 2013
Lille, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I spent 2 days for my birthday and had a lovely stay. I requested a nice room with a nice view and it was. The room was not very big but the bed was so confy ! We had a late room sevicefuring the night and it was delicious ! The breakfast was okay but too expensive. The parking below the hotel is convenient. The pool was very nice as we were alone but i guess that with many oter guest it could be to small and no privacy.
The staff is very nice. The location is perfect ! Right in the old town..5 minutes from the main sqare ! Very good hotel !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

The staff at this hotel were so helpful, especially daphne and Werner. As we are just making decisions on the go, we hadn't booked anywhere. I decided we might stay at another crowne plaza. Daphne booked brussels for us. The location at bruges was so central , you walked out the door and you were in the plaza. There was a museum and relics in the basement

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Crowne Plaza Brugge? Share your experiences!