“Good but disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 101 Hotels in Bruges
Chester, United Kingdom
“Good but disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Just back from a four night trip to Bruges over New Year's Eve. This was my fourth visit and as expected, Bruges was fantastic. New Year's Eve was fun. I have stayed at the Navarra before and really liked it hence the second visit. But this time our room was in the annex and this was not great, a real disappointment in fact, it felt like we had been short changed. Though it was clean and a decent size it was very noisy, not counting NYE which is to be expected. The strange, very loud buzzer on the front door was very annoying as where the noisy stairs. We were in room 11 on the ground floors which felt every exposed, if you had the curtains open and the light on as it was dark, you needed them on all the time you had to keep the curtains closed or you felt you were on show. My husband nicknamed it 'the bunker'. There were also three ant traps in the bathroom, not very appealing at all. We booked via Alpha-rooms but not on any deal so don't know if that makes a difference and it seemed to be only Brits in the annex, maybe just a coincidence.

On the plus side, the hotel is in a super location, the staff are very cheerful and helpful, the breakfast is fabulous and the building is beautiful.

The bar was also really lacking in atmosphere which I don't remember from our previous visits, so all in all not terrible but I will pick another hotel for our next visit to bruges.

Room Tip: Avoid attic and annex rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Turkish first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

It was perfect!
Couldn't' t fault anything, the staff were spot on.
Breakfast was plentiful from cold to hot.
The room we had was spacious and clean.no view but didn't mind.
Everything on your doorstep, the square n decent boozer for footie n beer 5 mins away!
Wot more do you want? Also the chips in Bruges are different gravy!!!

Room 193 pukka.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed for three nights between Christmas and New Year.
Had a reasonable room on the first floor. It was a bit warm but not so uncomfortable you couldn't sleep properly( although several glasses of the local beer probably helped).
Everything was very clean although the wardrobe door was on a slope and made efforts to chop off your hands whenever using the safe.
Didn't use the pool as it seemed like a sauna. Fitness room looked better as it was air conditioned.
Didn't really use either as we were there to see the sights.
Breakfast was a good buffet-both hot and cold.
Location was excellent and price was reasonable for Bruges.
Car parking was very expensive.
Use the public one 50 metres away at half the price. Ignore the signs when it says Vol. Just queue and you ll get in as people are leaving all the time.
We went in peak season but think they do reasonable 3 nights for 2 deals at quieter times.

Stamford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Second time staying here. Last time was 27 years ago!

I've stayed in 7-8 hotels in Bruges. If money is no option there are better hotels in terms of luxury and romance. If you can book in advance and get a decent rate this place is perfect.

Location perfect
Rooms excellent
Staff fantastic. We have spoken with 6 or 7 on reception and every one has been friendly and helpful. Possibly the best staff of any in Belgium!

Highly recommended.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

this is our second stay here this year and it is a brilliant place to stay.
Brugge (or Bruges) is a wonderful place. I've not seen much of Belgium (Ghent or Gent) being the only other place, but this place lives up to the hype.
Hotel Navarra staff are excellent, pool is amazing (though be prepared for some unisex action in the changing rooms).
Only gripe is that parking is a mare and rather costly. Over the road is a nice public car park, lots of space and half the price.
Would we come back? Yes, love this place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Excellent hotel with on-site parking, fitness centre, swimming pool and sauna. Great breakfast. Walking distance from centre and many restaurants (special mention to the fantastic Ribbs'n'beer 500m away)

St Helens, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We have visited the Hotel Navarra on many occasions throughout the years and I have previously given it a glowing review. When we decided to visit a Christmas market this year our first choice was Bruges, we had visited in May this year staying at the Navarra and so when we booked we had no hesitation as to where we were going to stay. I booked through Superbreaks as previous and contacted the hotel to request the room we had in May, a large room at the front of the hotel overlooking the front of the hotel. When we stayed in May we had requested this room as we had stayed in it previously and after a mix up with the room, which was very quickly resolved we had a lovely stay. This time however was not the case.

I received an email from the hotel saying that they knew which room we had requested and they would try their very best to locate this to us. As I had heard nothing back from them to the contrary I believed that we again would be allocated this large room. We traveled by Eurostar which was lovely although it was a long day as we had caught our first train at 7am and it was now 4pm (3pm English time). When we arrived at the hotel and checked in nothing was mentioned about the room so I was still assuming that we had the requested room. I was given the key and told that the room was on the 2nd floor and given directions, I found this a little odd as I was sure the room was on the first floor. We made our way up to the room and after a lift and up flights of stairs and along corridors I realised that this was not the room I had requested. I decided to carry on and have a look, leaving my husband at the bottom of a flight of stairs with our luggage while I carried on. After another few flights of stairs and more corridors I found the room, it was quite a bit smaller that the room I had requested with 2 small windows instead of the large windows of the requested room.

I went to the reception to explain that this wasn't the room I had requested, the same thing that had happened in May and the receptionist couldn't understand what I meant and after much discussion and my explaining the directions to the room I had requested I was then told that the room I wanted was a family room and that it was reserved for a family coming the next day. I explained that I was not informed and the I was disappointed that this had not been mentioned on our arrival they didn't seem to understand the issue. When I returned to the room we decided that it would have to do, until that is we noticed that the bathroom had a sliding door. I know that some people would have no problem with this and might find us weird however be are both very private and having a sliding door on a bathroom is not acceptable especially for the price we had paid for the room. This is a four star hotel not a budget hostel. We went and explained to the reception and they then tried to find another for us. We were both tired and frankly so fed up and disappointed that the next room they gave us my husband look at and said it was ok, I was not happy with it as the room one in the room and had a sloping ceiling. It was even smaller than the original and the wardrobe was tiny and the hanging rail was only about 3 feet from the floor. Having said that we started to unpack and it was only when I went to put my shower gel on the bath that i realised that the wall the bath was against was sloping also, and that you would have had to either stand against the shower screen or bend sideways whilst taking a shower. We packed up again and went to reception for another room.

Finally we were given a room on the ground floor, past the bar and down more corridors, the temperature difference was quite noticeable. The room was small compared to the requested one with a small bathroom. It had one window looking out to the back of the hotel which let very little light into the room. My husband went to the reception and told them that this would do however I was still not happy, we had paid a lot for this room and as far as I was concerned it was not much better than a Premier Inn.

Although the room was clean the same unfortunately could not be said for the bathroom. At the back of the toilet was a toilet brush and holder attached to the wall and on the tiles by it were specks of something I don't even want to think about, and the toilet brush, when I looked at it (i did not take it out of the holder) had toilet paper on it. I left this until the room had been cleaned the next day to see if is had been cleaned but it had not so I cleaned it off myself with some wet toilet roll. Apart from this the room always appeared clean.

I must also point out, however this is not an issue I have with just this hotel. I cannot understand why hotels fell that it is acceptable not to have any drawer space. Although there was adequate hanging space and shelves, there is nowhere to put underwear and so you have to put them on shelves which is very awkward. I can understand business people not needing drawers if they are only staying overnight but when you are staying for a number of nights I find this a real pain.

I expressed my disappointment of the room to the receptionist on the first night, however being very tired after our long journey, I got upset, to my dismay as I wanted to be to the point and i got very emotional, which i have to say did not seem to bother the receptionist at all. As I pointed out to her and I stick by, we had stayed there on numerous occasions over the years and spent an awful lot of money with them but it will be the last time. We did not give them any more than the minimum and did not drink in the bar during out stay (we normally would have spent over €150 during our stay). I feel like our continued custom with them meant nothing and for our next stay in Bruges we will look for alternative accommodation as loyalty obviously means nothing.

I wish I could say we had a pleasant stay in the hotel but on this occasion we didn't and no matter how many good stays you have the bad ones will always stick in your mind.

I know that there are many happy customers but on this occasion, we weren't.

Room Tip: Family rooms are really nice, but beware, they have quite a few rooms down corridors and up masses o...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Navarra? Share your experiences!