“Great place to re-live childhood dreams and have a beer as well” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 121 things to do in Bruges
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This model train and mini city display offer a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. Grab lunch at the cafeteria.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Leeds
17 attraction reviews
“Great place to re-live childhood dreams and have a beer as well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I've visited this place twice now and planning a return visit in May this year. We found it by accident three years ago and loved it. It's a 'work in progress' railway layout and the guy who owns it appears to be funding it from his cafeteria or with a charge for those not eating or drinking something. We have a beer (or a coffee) and a bite to eat and we ask if we can see the railway and we are waved through without charge. We find the owner approachable and friendly and we've never had a problem with the refreshments offered. No it's not a massive, completely finished railway, it's obviously a long term labour of love for the owner. At 65 years of age I still have my Hornby Dublo model railway in store, I even have my first clockwork toy train set in its box which is 60 years old. I got that for Christmas 1953 and fell on a tin signal and needed 4 stitches in my knee and the scar is still there !!! I'd love a layout like this but cash and space don't permit it so I really enjoy spending an hour or so here.

Visited October 2013

Halesowen, England, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“What A Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

A magical experience, found by chance & revisited whilst in Brugge.
As adults that have never really been interested in model railways we were still fascinated & so if you have an interest then it's a must.
We had beers on our first visit & hot drinks on our second all good & served quickly.

9 attraction reviews
“For any train enthusiast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

This place was awesome. The model train setup was fantastic and could sit there and watch it for hours. I did have a coffee and it wasn't the best. However there is a bar.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Place to spend a quiet hour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is a large model railway in a bar.
Bar - was ok similar to many others in bruges, beer was excellenet, small selection of draft but plenty of bottles. Some food was served and there was a coffe option.

The model railway itself is wonderful and you could spend hours looking at it, it even impressed my wife.

My only isse was actually finding it, it is in the Oud st-ans Hospitaal site not on mariastraat itself.

Would definatly visit again as it looks to be continullay developing

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“Great Man Creche”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

This is a great little attraction for the little boy in all of us who wanted a decent train set!

A lot of work and love has gone into to this and there is some humour in the models. It has a bar/cafe which is why we came in here while our wives spent a time in the Flowers exhibition (which they said was very good).

Good place to spend a couple of hours while other half does the Flowers or art exhibition.