“Cultural, classy and beautiful in just the right place!” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel Casselbergh Bruges
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hoogstraat 6, Bruges 8000, Belgium   |
Ranked #9 of 101 Hotels in Bruges
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Cultural, classy and beautiful in just the right place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My 18 year old daughter and I arrived at the Hotel after a trouble free journey via Eurostar. We had been up since 4:30am, but we soon forgot how tired we were as soon as we saw our beautiful room at the Casselbergh Hotel. The room had the most amazing candelabra over the bed and a memory foam mattress. We have the best nights sleep ever. The bathroom was spacious and well fitted, spotlessly clean. Power Shower and Sunken Bath. We only stayed for 2 nights but I am so glad we chose this hotel. The breakfasts we had were VIP Champagne Breakfasts as we had booked through Secret Escapes. Food was all excellent, staff polite and helpful, provided us with a map of all the attractions. Mini Bar not over expensive, ...all that you could want. The hotel had lots of facilities that we didn't take advantage of. The position of this hotel makes it perfect for seeing all the attractions.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Perfect Hotel, perfect experience, perfect staff.Stayed for just one night, but I regret it because I would have liked to stayed more and enjoyed it more.Would like to go back to beautiful Brugges and definitely would stay in this beautiful hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose a river view room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Lovely charming hotel with paintings hanging on brocade walls, fireplaces and rich velvety couches in the common rooms.
Warm tones of red and yellow reign in the hotel.
The "historical" wing is very cozy and very well furnished with quiet rooms facing the back of the hotel. Crystal chandelier and wood details are very well mached.
Since the hotel building is very old, if you have difficulties to walk far from the elevator, mention that when you make your booking. Some rooms are not close by elevators and there are steps to climb. Very pitoresque but not for disabled.
Very clean, nice bathrooms.
Perfect position, few steps from the very city center.
Parking to be reserved close by the hotel.
Only downside breakfast: the only choice of beverage was between tea and American coffee... So if you are not British or American there is not much choice... Buffet well placed with mid quality food. Only a couple of kind cereals, no skim milk but various kinds of bread.
Recommended for couples, elderly and quiet families.
Very romantic.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel. Pretty lobby/bar. Great location. Cheerful/professional desk staff. Beds extremely comfortable. Seems like a given, but I've had some mediocre beds in what should be decent hotels.

Plenty of good towels, and nice pillows.

Breakfast buffet fine.

Excellent value. Good for a romantic get away.

I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I chose this hotel due to all the positive reviews here, and I was pleased with my choice. Based on some of the previous feedback, when I reserved a standard room, I asked for quiet location. When we arrived at the hotel, the attendant informed me that my room had been upgraded free of charge. Wonderful! Based on my request for quietness, I had been moved to the third story in a beautiful upgraded room. I was delighted!

The room we stayed in was spacious, quiet, and beautiful. It had a spacious king bed, an enormous closet, a desk, and several different sitting areas. The bathroom was also spacious and contained a separate shower and bath tub. (My husband raved about the showerhead!) Important to me, free wifi was also available in the room. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast each morning, allowing for plenty of time to choose to dine. (From 7:30 - 10:00) In the evening, enjoying a glass of wine by the fire, we sat in the beautiful sitting rooms downstairs. Sitting in such grand rooms, it was easy to imagine the history of the hotel, and how such rooms were enjoyed years ago.

This hotel is very easy to get to due to its central location right off the Markt. We took a bus on our way there for about 1 euro a person, and on the way back, we took a taxi, which was only 8 euro back to the train station.

Overall, I found this hotel a bastion of civility in this semi-tourist trap of a town. While Brugge is architecturally lovely and designed, I found a spirit of incivility in most of the customer service type people with whom I interacted. For instance, every restaurant/cafe, I frequented in Brugge, refused to give me tap water since they want customers to pay for bottled water, which is both expensive and wasteful. When I queried people about this idiosyncratic policy, which seems downright odd to me, I was responded to with lies such as the water is dangerous to drink, which was obviously false since I drank it everyday at the hotel, and a supercilious attitude. However, to my relief, this attitude was lacking at the Grand Hotel Casselbergh, and my stay along with the accompanying interactions with employees who worked there was very positive.

Room Tip: I simply asked for a quiet room, and I received an upgraded room that was definitely quiet. I loved...
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We visited here in 2010 and returned earlier this week. The hotel is excellent with really good rooms and an excellent if not always great quality breakfast selection. Being barely a stone's throw away from the Markt, it is also just a wonderful place to base yourself while visiting this magnificent town.

A couple of downers to mention though, primarily about customer service. Waitress service at breakfast is good and very friendly but the front desk service, while perfectly fine and friendly on the surface, is a tad chilly and transparently insincere. The absolutely stunning bar is a great place for a late night snifter (they've massively improved their selection of beers since our last visit) but be warned, if you sit anywhere other than slap bang in front of the bar, particularly "around the corner" in one of the connecting rooms, then you might be waiting a while for service. We waited about 15 mins on one occasion with no sign of the barman/waiter venturing out from behind the bar (yes, they are meant to before you ask) so had little option but to go up and order instead of sitting back and relaxing on our final night as intended. Minor grumbles maybe, but a place like this clearly aspires to be the best of the best and it's these kind of touches which make the difference. Overall though the hotel is definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Pay reception staff a bribe
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Right off the centre square, this hotel is a marvel with lovely public rooms. Our room is on the top floor with a 30 ft ceiling of ancient oak beams & slats with a huge crystal chandelier suspended from the top cross beam. The bed is gorgeous, all the amenities are totally modern despite the ancient building. The ambience in the room is lovely with huge windows that open over all a vista of red tile rooftops. Maybe we'll stay longer than 2 nights!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Casselbergh Bruges? Share your experiences!