“Fabulous tour” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Day trips from Bruges to the first world war battlefields.
Perth, Australia
“Fabulous tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We joined a tour in August and found ourselves taken back to the past to learn and experience the events and times of World War 1. Nathan's knowledge about the war in general as well as all the battles and strategies that took place in Flanders fields was amazing. We were picked up and dropped off at our hotel and enjoyed a very enthralling day, leaving us, both more knowledge about the War but also mindful of those who endured it. Other reviewers have given more specific details about the tour, which I will not repeat. Needless to say we cannot recommend this tour highly enough.

Visited August 2013

Ottawa, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is probably the best day tour I have ever done, and I have done quite a few. Nathan is an excellent guide - knowledgeable and quirky, and we did far more than just go to some cemeteries and museums (though those were all very worthwhile, and some quite moving). We went for a very peaceful stroll in the woods past some old German and British bunkers, and Nathan foraged for some shrapnel and other war paraphernalia so we could each have a little souvenir to take home. We stopped at a random garage that had a table piled with old mortar shell casings and grenades found in farmers' fields, and bought some strawberries from a local farmer. We went to see an old bomb crater which is now a pond; we went to the Passchendaele museum which included a very excellent trench recreation, and the Flanders Field museum in Ypres in which you can enter your age and gender and each exhibit, when you scan your bracelet, will give you stories and war experiences of those people in your gender and demographic. There were eight of us in all, in the eight seater van, all from Australia except for the two of us Canadians, so Nathan made sure to stop at the Canadian cemetary/memorial as well as the Australian one. For lunch we went to a pub and we had the choice of a few slices cooked ham or smoked ham or something else I can't recall, which came with some salad, a plate of fries to share and bread. It isn't particularly filling, especially if you're trying to avoid the fries and bread for health reasons, but I suppose if you filled up on those carbs you could be full. As with most day tours lunch wasn't until past 1, so I would recommend you bring snacks, not only for the morning, but also for the afternoon for once those starchy foods wear off.

Visited August 2013
Byron, Illinois
“Superbly executed tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Nathan does an excellent job of preparing you for what you will see and experience on this tour. On the way to Ypres he presents a concise history of Europe and the conditions which led to the battle at Ypres. His knowledge of the history surrounding what happened on Flanders Field is top notch; his enthusiasm for the subject is infectious. The tour is very comfortable -- only 8 people on the minivan -- and superbly executed.

Visited September 2013
“A thought provoking tour.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I would not hesitate to recommend this tour. We were picked up on time from our hotel; not having to get to a central pick up point was a bonus. The car, which was a really smooth ride, seated eight people plus our guide/driver, Nathan. Nathan's passion for the World War 1 history of his country was infectious. We were swept along with his enthusiasm and breadth of knowledge, visiting not just the sites one would expect such as the war cemeteries and museums but stopping at loads of other places off the beaten track to see artefacts and sights that could only be made accessible to a small party of people on a personalised tour. Nice lunch included. We came away thoroughly inspired to find out even more about the period and build on what Nathan had helped us to discover during the day.

Trenton, Canada
“Great Tour, Great Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I totally agree with other reviewers in that Nathan did a great job of covering this time in our history and, in particular was able to customize it for the 3 couples on our tour-us from Canada, another from Australia and another from England. I felt I had to write and disagree with a comment earlier from another Canadian. She stated that the lunch was small and she was hungry later. I totally disagree. I am a 220 pound male and I thought the lunch was more than adequate. As a matter of fact, I think this lunch was one of the best I have ever had on a tour. We got to eat in an actual real restaurant that was quiet and not inundated with tour groups, we had a selection of what to eat and we got a glass of beer (all was included in the price of the tour).
When I booked the tour, I thought it would be a day to see a few cemeteries and hear some stories about war. I was surprised at the various emotions of the day-sadness at all the death, sort of happy we won but anger and frustration at the idiocy of it all and how little we learned.
Thanks for taking us on the ride Nathan.