“excellent food, beer, atmosphere - hope you can get in” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 549 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“excellent food, beer, atmosphere - hope you can get in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We visited Bruges for Christmas market and stayed at Hotel Malleberg for one night ( excellent and just around ther corner from this brasserie)- 6th December 2012, we found Cambrinus for first time ( of many visits to Bruges) and will defintely return on every future visit. We drank there early afternnon of our first day and immediately booked for evening meal and luckily got a table for 8pm. service is excellent, there are approx 78 seats + some at the bar with selection of table sizes for 2 - 6 persons with some on high stools/tables, atmospheric decour, very clean, a wide selection of beers with a massive menu. Food - evening was excellent but large portions! and wide selection again - try the Flemish Carbonades - came with massive dish of fries(about 16 euro) and rabbit with prunes and potato croquettes( about 18 euro) and you will want them again. Service very good, friendly atmosphere, at reasonable price but you will need to book for evening meal to be sure of a table. we returned for final visit before leaving and it was just as full ( Christmas block booking ) but still managed to get a seat and snack.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing beer selection, food is great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Cambrinus has any beer you could possibly imagine, so if you're a beer lover this is your mecca. The beer menu is a literal encyclopedia of beers, at least 50 pages long. It can be overwhelming, but they have the selections divided by type to make your selection easier. The food is really quite delicious, but the portions are HUGE, even by American standards, so I suggest splitting a plate unless you are really hungry. A tip: Cambrinus gets very busy for dinner, and we were able to get a table around 6:00, but if we had come any later we would not have been able to be seated, so get a reservation for dinner if you can.

Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
“The food is nearly as memorable as the beer, and that is saying something!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

During our September trip to Bruges, I made sure that we stopped in at Cambrinus - I had eaten dinner there during a solo trip to Bruges in 2007, and I remembered it being a wonderful dinner, more for the beer than for the food.

Well, this time with my wife and her mom, we went for lunch. I may have just ordered well, but then again, the two ladies also enjoyed their food! In any case, the beer was first-rate, and the food was quite nice as well. I had a duck breast salad that was thrilling - thin slices of rare breast with nice greens and a mustardy vinaigrette. Mmmm.

The beer menu, as at any kind of beer cathedral like this, was a bible. I had ideas about what I wanted, though, so it didn't take me long to choose a Steenbrugge Quadrupel. Oh man. From the first sip, I felt like I had died and gone to heaven.

I love the style of the decor - it reminded all of us of a good English pub - and the service, which I hear can be spotty, was pretty good in our case. We seated ourselves when there were no signs of a host/ess, but after a couple minutes a server showed up with menus, and after that things went pretty smoothly.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Great for the beer lover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We first tried Cambrinus on our second night in Brugge but they could not seat us for a meal so stayed for a couple of beers. Trying to pick from the menu was a task! We ended up saying longer than anticipated sat at the bar, but remembered to make a reservation for dining the following night.

For attempt number two we arrived and were taken to our table. One thing I liked about here was that the staff didn't put pressure on you to choose your drinks as the menu is so massive! For food I went for the Brewers 3 course menu with cheese croquettes, beef stew with apple sauce and a creme brulee which was great but far too much food! I couldn't finish the dessert. The missus had the rib eye and a dame blanche which looked great also - I didn't get offered any so I can only assume...

After trying the beer taste selection (a range of four beers in smaller glasses on a nice stand) we headed off.

The service was attentive and one of the waiters was having a great time laughing and joking with the majority of his clients.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nha Trang, Vietnam
“slow........”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Sitting here after ordering over an hour and a half ago. The starter was great but service is thin. I think this restaurant must be great, usually but its impossible to catch the attention of the waiter and their organisation is poor. Nearly 2 hours now.

• Visited January 2013