“Food was OK but the rudest staff in 50 years of eating out!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Brasserie
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Food was OK but the rudest staff in 50 years of eating out!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stopped in Bruges on a long road trip from UK to Copenhagen, and felt like trying some Moules Frites. There are hundreds of restaurants in the centre of town but we settled on this as it had a reasonably priced fixed menu. We should have run when the waiter saw us looking at the menu and bullied us into sitting inside and waiting for an outside table, thus capturing us. We ordered the fixed dinner and he harrumphed when we declined to order drinks. The first course - spinach soup for me, pate for my wife, arrived fairly promptly and both were good. Then there was a long wait - half an hour - for the mussels. My wife politely asked if the food would be coming soon as we had several more hours drive that night. The waiter flipped out and started shouting that we are not allowed to ask if our food is going to come soon. It immediately got weirder when he called over the manager, an older lady who continued the rant, saying that we don't have the right to ask if our food will come soon, and then shouting that we 'must be Americans' (we aren't, but a prejudiced comment and hardly relevant). I told her I had never been treated so rudely and would be writing a review in Trip Advisor. She came back a few minutes later in an apparently more conciliatory mood but soon started hassling us again about how it was rude for us to ask where our food was, etc. When she brought the bill it started again for the fourth time, with her proudly pointing out that she had deducted the 1 euro charge they make for a tablespoon of mayonnaise (!) to show her good will, but then she was back on the tirade about how Americans are bad tourists and how dare we ask if our food will come soon.

The performance of the waiter and his manager was absolutely astonishing - worthy of Basil of Fawlty Towers at his most deranged. I wouldn't recommend going unless you're in the mood for participating in improvisational theatre. As you can see I am not in the habit of handing out bad reviews so you can be confident this 1-star rating is well-deserved. Some people just should not be in the hospitality business.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“What a horrible restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Restaurant is in a nice square. We were stupidly tempted in by location and the 16 Euro menu. We were asked if we wanted drinks and ordered without looking at the menu (will we ever learn). I asked for a large beer and a ridiculous 1 litre beer appeared at a cost of 14Euro. Had to ask for the 16 Euro menu which was then thrown down. Ordered from it, asked if we wanted apple sauce with the beef. Stupidly said yes, later discovered it was 3.50 per person. In someways it's a shame that the proprietor is simply interested in ripping tourists off when I'm sure they could make just as much money from providing a good experience. Put me off Brugge all together. Total bill for family of 4 was 120 Euro!

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lynchburg, Virginia
“What a hoot!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Based on the reviews of so many others, we popped into here....many other Americans, but plenty of locals as well. My husband and daughter are beer enthusiasts and enjoyed sampling a variety of Belgian ales and beers. I prefer white wine and was happy with my choices. We didn;t feel rushed to move on....ordered an appetizer or two, swapped photo taking with others, wrote postcards and left quite happy!

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sudbury, Canada
“Worked for me.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Worked well for me, although I can imagine others can have a bad experience. It is indeed tourist-oriented. I just wanted to say that my experience was positive. My second attempt at Flemmins rabbit, and the best of the two. Very tasty. On the two occasions, I felt there was not much meat on that rabbit, but the same in both restaurants. Comes with abundant sauce. Fries were good. Soup of the day was correct. Apple pie was very good. I left contented, for 30 Euros approx. Beer reasonably priced.
Good service, no complaint.
Sat outdoors, but went to see the upper level of the restaurant (upstairs): very nice room, would certainly come back if Bruges was closer to home. Other customers around me seemed to be satisfied. Located on a side street from the Markt (main historic square).

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bradenton, Florida
“The best Belgium waffle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

When in Belgium you must try this restaurant's Belgium waffle with ice cream , chocolate, mixed fruit and thick waffle. The manager was very accommodating and the people watching was fun. Be sure to check the inside and upstairs for other seating besides the outside

• Visited March 2012