“has grown very complacent” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Maria van Bourgondie

Maria van Bourgondie
Guido Gezelleplein 1, Bruges, Belgium (Formerly Maria Van Bourgondie)
050-332066
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #216 of 520 Restaurants in Bruges
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
stoke on trent
“has grown very complacent”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Returned to this restaurant after a pleasing visit the previous year. This time the offering was poor in terms of food and the service was bordering on surly from the sour faced waitress who had clearly had a personality by-pass. (you guessed it, no tip for her). They seem to take it for granted that because they are situated in a nice location right opposite the church that they will pull in customers whatever. In our case they had better think again, because on the following evenings we found much better alternatives.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Dartford, England, United Kingdom
“ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We had our first evening meal here and had't read any reviews. The small bottle of water I had with my meal was more expensive than the beer! We felt it was over priced overall and wouldn't recommend to others, wished we gone elsewhere.

Visited October 2012
Dukinfield, United Kingdom
“Good value set lunch - very tasty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Walking around Brugge and starting to feel peckish, we came across this little restaurant opposite the church. Its well placed and you can have a table either inside, or outside on the patio under the umbrellas - we choose inside. We were quickly seated and our drinks order very promptly. Myself and my wife went for the 2 course lunch specials at 18 euros each - I had the Flemish beef stew with came with chips and salad and was very tasty - I have had this stew on many occasions and this one ranks high up with the best. My wife had the chicken waterzooi - she said the chicken was cooked to perfection and moist and the sauce was delicious and not too many vegetables but plenty of peppercorns. Desert was either chocolate mousse or an illy espresso - I had the espresso however my wife who does not like espresso asked for a cafe latte instead - this was not an issue and the waiter did not bother one iota. I would recommend this restaurant and was very surprised to see it so low in TripAdvisor markings - deserves to be higher placed!!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Bishop's Waltham, United Kingdom
“Coffee stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

just stopped for a cappochino and was really good .Didnt sound good with cream on top but it wasnt that horriable squirt cream but a real good dollop of fresh cream nice surprise staff friendly place clean and tidy and toilets very clean always a good sign shame we were the only ones there

New York City, New York
“Very pleasant surprise !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

On a recent trip to Bruges, my husband and I stumbled upon the Maria van Bourgondië, a beautiful restaurant in front of the Church of Our Lady. We were looking for a great but informal dining experience at a reasonable price and we were certainly not disappointed.
The staff was very friendly and accomodating and even though the place was packed with locals ( which is always a good sign ) as well as tourists, the manager quickly accomodated us with a nice table close to the fire place. My husband and I shared two amazing shrimp croquettes and then I had the cod and my husband had the lamb. Both were delicious.
For dessert we shared the homemade chocolate pie which was also to die for.
The combination of atmosphere, food and service makes this amazing place a must visit for anyone heading to Bruges.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere