“Worst service ever” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Krasnogorsk, Russia
“Worst service ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

It was a hot day of July 28th. We wanted to have lunch in a quiet place off the Markt so we sat at a shadowed table for two in Chagall. A waiter asked us if we didn't mind moving to another table in the sun. We did mind. We couldn't order our lunch for the next 15 mins and we left the place. Bad experience.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

66% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely looking place. Extraordinarily rude staff.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

On a day trip to Bruges with my girlfriend, we decided to find a really good seafood restaurant. We chose Chagall based on a review I had read, which highly recommended its eel. The place is very cosy; you could be dining in your Flemish grandmother's kitchen. Walking in, there was only two groups of people dining and the restaurant was otherwise empty. All seemed well, at least until we sat down.

We sat at a table next to the window and the waitress immediately instructed us 'This table is for four people, not two. Move.' This was a bit surprising. I asked why, since the restaurant was otherwise empty, the table was not reserved and the tables for two were located in the darkened rear of the restaurant. She indicated a small table in the corner and repeated 'You will move!'. My girlfriend and I are very relaxed and friendly people, but we found this really condescending and unpleasant. I got up and said thanks, but I would rather dine elsewhere and made towards the door. At this point an older male waiter appeared (perhaps the owner?) and very sarcastically waved in my face, pointed towards the door and said 'Get out then! Bye bye!'.

I enjoy eating out often but this is the most bizarre and unpleasant experience I have ever had in any restaurant. My girlfriend was quite upset but this unexpected turn of events, and, while we found a lovely place a few streets away, the entire experience put a little bit of a damper on our day out in Bruges.

I cannot vouch for the food. It may be great, but the waiter and waitress (or perhaps they are the owners?) really ought to be more pleasant to customers. Their behaviour was entirely uninvited and quite aggressive.

• Visited June 2013
tennessee
“Good food, friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The food was fresh and tasty. Two in our party had the special, the beef Flemish stew and it was exceptional.

Visited July 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“A Perfect last night in Bruges”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at The Acacia Hotel,( see my review), Chagall was about 50m away and was ideal for a rainy Friday night, the last of our short stay in this beautiful city. I had read some less than glowing reports on this site but decided to chance it anyway. I can only conclude that those not bowled over by the bistro were very unlucky as we found it excellent in all respects. We were glad to have made reservations as the place was buzzing when we got there at around 8ish. We were warmly welcomed and shown to our table , this is a small restaurant, made smaller by the inclement weather au terasse. We had onion soup to start, a subtle variation on the French, delicious! and accompanied by generous chunks of bread and fresh butter. This restaurant does not do "Nouvelle Cuisine", it is hearty fare as we found with our mains. I had the Flemish stew which was wonderful, my wife who would normally order fish, chose pork fillet and thoroughly enjoyed it , both meals were served with a selection of vegetables and the , obligatory, frites, I opted for an "Oude Genever" as a digestif, the waiter explained the various types and their character, the closest I can describe it is a mix between Grappa and Hungarian Palinka, it was a lovely way to finish a lovely evening, I would strongly recommend a visit to this excellent little restaurant , avoid the tourist traps in Markt!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Slough, United Kingdom
“Chagall was an excellent find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We ate at this very cosy restaurant for 3 nights in a row and one lunchtime. Our party of 6 included a coeliac and the owner was very careful to point out what he could/could not eat. He understood perfectly our request. He advised us on the "special" of the day, which was always excellent. The moules were fantastic. The wine was reasonably priced and to our taste. It'll be our first stop for a meal should we return to Bruges.

• Visited May 2013