“Nicely done !” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
London
“Nicely done !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Understated but tasty food and relaxed atmosphere. Really enjoyed the meal with my wife and younger son. Would go back if I come back to Ghent. Price was pretty good too as was the house red. Service was great too.

Visited July 2014

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Always good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Every time I come to Ghent I eat in this restaurant...and the food is always good!
Their Melanzane al forno (starter) is amazing (although very filling!). For main course I would recommend that you choose one of their home made pasta dishes (their ravioli is gorgeous). Service is equally good (but be prepared to wait a while for your food). The place seems to always be packed (even when I've been there on a week night) - booking is therefore advisable.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Waterloo, Canada
“Fantastic food at a great price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Fantastic Italian food. Very authentic! Ordered the lasagne after reading reviews on here and I pass along the sentiment--order it and you won't regret it! Loved every bite. The best I've had outside of Italy. The service is painfully slow, but the food more than made up for it. The price is also great. We also ordered a bottle of their 'wine of the month', which was also fantastic. Would return on a future visit to Ghent and highly recommend to all.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denver, Colorado
“Wonderful Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

You go to a restaurant for food, and the food here is excellent. Generally, the flavors were well-balanced and nuanced, and the ingredients were highest quality.

We each had a salad, both of which were wonderful, and I had the steak with shaved parmesan and balsamic cream (which was lightly employed). It was not a particularly good cut of beef, which I found common in Belgium, but the preparation was flawless. My girlfriend had a pasta dish which I cannot identify from the online menu (which is in Dutch) - I would love to tell you what it was because it was better than mine.

I hate to ding them for service, because I think we wandered in after closing and they graciously invited us in and served us, anyway. That said, I found the service in Belgium in general to be pretty languid by American standards, possibly a by-product of a non-tipping culture? It would be your responsibility to point out that your drink is empty, nobody will offer you dessert, and nobody will ever ask how your meal is. The servers here were friendly, but the service was really light.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ghent, Belgium
“Superb, authentic, Italian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

This was the fourth time we went to this little restaurant near the historic center of Ghent.

Il Folletto is one of those hidden gems in Ghent. The restaurant is not very visible from the outside, it isn't particularly modern or stylish in any way and so it doesn't really pull people passers by in. Still when we went (on a Saturday evening) all available tables were booked so I guess it has established a good following of fans through the years.

I started off with 3 types of bruchetta which were absolutely delicious.
As the main course I ordered one of the home made pasta dishes: Paccheri alla ligure.
It consisted of pasta with sea perch and prawns and it was simply fingerlicking good.
The pasta was cooked to perfection and the fish and sauce were so full of taste that it still makes me drool when I think of it now!

Service is (child)friendly, correct and fast (but not too fast).

Value for money
Value for money is very good, prices are average and the quality of the food is very good

Conclusion
I haven't had a bad meal in this restaurant and I plan to go here again

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere