“Very Comfortable and a Super Location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Very Comfortable and a Super Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were only stopping off for the night in Ghent and had a reservation at the Sandton Reylof, On arrival alas they had overbooked. After several hours driving I was simply too tired to complain but the hotel had instead reserved us a very nice room at the Marriott. It was a great relief to arrive at the Marriott. We don't really know Ghent that well and entered via the modern entrance on the carpark side of the building. We were very pleasantly surprised. The atrium provides a nice wow factor. The staff were very helpful, welcoming and professional. We had been allocated a Suite and the room was very comfortable, very quiet with a great bed. We had a couple of drinks and ate at the bar. The Club sandwich was great, the frites to die for. It was only when we went for a stroll and left via the rear of the hotel that we realised how wonderful the location was. You walk right out on to the water into the heart of Ghent. I'm only sorry I didn't book at the Marriot first. Arriving at night you don't realise how cleverly shoe-horned into the area the hotel is. The facade is traditional and in-keeping with the wonderful architecture around but inside you are surprised by modern airy spaces, curving glass structures and strong modern architectural lines. We'll certainly be back. Alas it was just a stop off with a late check-in so we didn't get a chance to use all of the facilities but I'm sure they would be very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is situated on the most beautiful street of Belgium, the Graslei. The construction respect in the neighborhood while still being very trendy is fantastic. Rooms are correct and food is excellent. Service could be quicker. A must go due to style and location

• Stayed September 2013
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Once we located the hotel it was a delight! We checked in late and didn't have any issues. Parking was convenient. The location was beautiful & there are plenty of things to do and see nearby. The bartenders were friendly and provided some great insight on the area. We fell in love with Ghent and had a fabulous stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I just left this hotel where I stayed for 2 nights for work. I think there are a few things that brightened my mood towards this hotel, so maybe this isn't a completely unbiased review this time.
First, they actually made a mistake when I checked in. They gave me a room and card key and when I went up, I walked in on someone was already occupying the room. They quickly changed me to another one down the hall. I'm not sure if they upgraded me on purpose due to the mistake or if they just put me in the next closest available room, but either way, I was happy with the move. I got a nicer and bigger room (this room was definitely bigger than my apartment where I currently live) in one of the renovated older parts of the building. So it was a good thing that they made a mistake for me!
Second, I had no idea that there was a big festival on in Gent when I was there, so the centre of town was lively, full of people and music going on everywhere. This is especially great when this is happening right outside your hotel door and you can walk straight into it. So if nothing else, the location was absolutely perfect to visit the old town of Gent which is beautiful.
Other than the reception mistake which turned out to be good for me, the service was professional. Wifi is free and fast. There is a gym in the basement that is rather spacious for a hotel gym with towels, snacks and water.
Only things that I advise against: breakfast was 24 Euros. It was a typical spread of a hotel breakfast buffet and it was nice, but 24 Euros is a bit over the top for breakfast. Also, I ordered the salmon cesar salad one day for room service. I can totally NOT recommend that one.
Other than the poor price-versus-quality of food, the hotel was great. So eat elsewhere and enjoy your stay the the Marriott Ghent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Bloomsbury, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We drove from Brussels to Gent. One of the bridges in the city was closed so we had great difficulty finding the hotel. GPS wanted to take us over the closed bridge. However, once we found the hotel, it was a delight. Great location, service, rooms. They do not have an executive lounge so offered breakfast and 3 drinks/room /night but only tap beer or house wine. No swimming pool and small fitness center. Easy walk to shops and restaurants and top sites.

Room Tip: Rooms with double beds do not have canal view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Superb spot for our two night stay. Leaving the car in their underground car park makes it so much easier, especially after a 5 hour drive . Roughly 21 euro per 24 hrs is worth it, if only for the convenience. Located in a wonderful spot in the heart of Ghent, the hotel's frontage is what remains of what was the oldest brewery in the city. A beautiful glass atrium has been constructed behind it which forms the public area of the hotel itself. Spacious well equipped rooms and large comfortable beds made this a very nice stay. Excellent customer service throughout by very helpful staff. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We selected Ghent as the base for our travels in Belgium, and the Marriott as our 3-night base in Ghent. We were delighted with both choices. When we booked we requested early check in, as we were to arrive from the U.S. early in the morning. We took the train from Brussels Airport and a taxi from Gint-St. Pieters for 10 Euro and arrived well before noon. There was no problem checking in early. The staff were very accommodating overall. We found the room and the king-sized bed to be comfortable and quiet. The free wifi worked very well. And, the location was superb, a couple blocks from the center of Ghent.

The charge for breakfast at 24 Euros, however, was too steep for us and we searched for cheaper alternatives close by. We especially liked Exki, a natural, fresh, fast food store, next door to McDonalds on the square.

We were somewhat taken aback by the 150 Euro charge to our credit card to cover possible restaurant or bar charges. We hadn't experienced that before nor did we experience it at other hotels during our trip to Europe.

All in all, we would stay at the Marriott again if visiting Ghent which we hope to do.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 2nd floor away from the atrium and the elevator and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Ghent Hotel? Share your experiences!