“Good location, customer experience not great” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Winter Package @ �109
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Faversham
“Good location, customer experience not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed for a mid-week short break and were allocated room 4 which is on the ground floor at the rear of the building across a courtyard. The room was quiet, very spacious and comfortable although rather dark. Bathrobes, slippers and plentiful toiletries were supplied.

I liked having a kettle and choice of teas etc which were replenished daily. If you want an alcoholic drink I suggest you look at the prices on the minibar menu first and then do as we did, buy your drinks from the hotel bar and take them back to your room or sit in the courtyard.

Our room backed onto a small courtyard (light well) that was shared with another room, there was a small table for our use; and also what looked like a bit of old carpet (my husband said it was a doormat) chucked in the corner. How odd and how ugly! Had no-one on the staff noticed it and thought to move it?

I can't comment on the breakfast as we had breakfast out at a small coffee bar nearby which was a lot less expensive.

Here is the really odd bit: I found the reception staff very friendly and helpful but they (or rather one of them in particular) was very argumentative and rude to my husband about parking. He arrived by motorbike and could find nowhere to park it (motorbikes are not allowed in the underground car parks), so asked reception for advice. This advice seemed to be, there is nowhere so you'll have to get a parking ticket and appeal it (?!), which he wasn't willing to do. Having parked illegally we set off to find somewhere for dinner and walked past free designated motorcycle parking near the hotel. So that solved the problem. However as my husband was checking out, the same receptionist began the parking discussion/argument again!

I realise the reception staff get asked all sorts of questions and can't be expected to know everything, but if you don't know (and it's a reasonable question), please either try to find out the answer or say you don't know. Misinformation and/or rudeness have no place in customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear FavershamHector,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hotel de Flandre. I appreciate all your feedback as we continuously strive to improve and better our hotel and services. I am happy to hear overall you had a great stay and enjoyed the location of the hotel, as well as our our attentive staff. I do apologize for the small hiccups you experienced as this is certainly not the norm here. We will discuss these issues with the entire team to avoid issues like this in the future. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Kristel Cauterman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Hereford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is one of the very few hotels we had not stayed in before in Ghent so we thought it was worth a go. You can park in the St Michaels garage for 11 euros a night which is very reasonable for Ghent. Very nice quiet room. Cannot comment on breakfast as we were room only. Quite a small dining room but perfectly adequate. Small outside seating area which had annex rooms off it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Patmar58,

Thank you for choosing Hotel de Flandre and for sharing your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you had a great stay and that you enjoyed the room and its location. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you once again in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I had booked my room for one night on a business trip to Belgium.
I arrived at the hotel at around 1.00 p.m.
Strangely at the reception I have been told that the room was available only after 3.00 p.m., as this was the hotel policy, "even mentioned on the voucher". A part that on the voucher NOTHING was mentioned, I found it really rude and unpleasant from the hotel, as I had the feeling that the hotel was not so full and they could have given the room at any time. Nevertheless, I had to spend two hours walking around the city, waiting for the right time to get the room.
Not too bad, but not too hospital...

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Filippo L,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I'm happy to hear overall your had a great stay. Check-in time is after 3pm but please note that we do our utmost to accommodate an early arrival as soon as possible. If you want to guarantee that your room is available before 3pm, we advise booking the room one day in advance. This way your room is already blocked the night before you arrive, so that check-in is guaranteed before 3pm.

Lydd, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times as the company I work for use it. The location is great for exploring the city centre and it's many bars and restaurants. The rooms are reasonably well equipped and adequately maintained but I prefer the ones in the rear annexe than the main house which also have the advantage of you not having to wait for the dreadful old lift! The hotel has a quiet but nice bar but no restaurant for evening meals, only breakfast (which is delicious by the way).

On balance, the hotel is a decent enough place to stay but I have had some issues, particularly around the availability of airco and reliability of the same. However, the staff have always been most helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the annexe of the main hotel or, failing that, the annexe across the road.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Jonathan D,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel de Flandre again, and for sharing your feedback.
I also would like to inform you that we can take your room preference into account, Just let our reception team know, and we will have your preference noted in your profile. We look forward to any upcoming visits, and please do not hesitate to reach out if we can assist with any plans.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for four nights with my family. For a couple the rooms are spacious, for a couple with two children, the room seemed rather small. The hotel has two separate areas, I stayed in the main section and have no complaints other than the elevator being slow, which is a good excuse to get a little exercise walking up to the fourth floor. While expensive (20 Euros) the breakfast is outstanding. The family was very excited to start our day off with a piece of Belgian Chocolate. The location is excellent, a mere two minute walk to the river where very nice dining options are available. This is my first visit to Ghent and the whole family thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I would definitely stay here again on a return visit

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main area, as the other section is across the street,
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear PwK-33,

Thank you for your response on your recent stay. I am pleased to hear you and your family had a great experience. It is always nice to hear that our guests enjoyed the hotel, its location as well as our breakfast buffet. Please let me know if you need any assistance on planning your next trip to Ghent.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here and found the hotel very convenient to the old areas of the city. The staff were helpful, and the rooms comfortable. Woulds stay there again
The offered breakfast, though good, was very expensive so I recommend buying a few things at the grocery store across the street..

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear butternut70,

Thank you for choosing Hotel de Flandre and for sharing your experience. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel's location. Please let me know if I can help assist with any future plans.

Cologne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel for one night. The room we were given was. The main building. Put when we entered the room, we heard that the ventilation in the bathroom was running and could not be switched off. We went back to reception and were told that this is a security standard... never heard of such a thing. It got worse: she gave us an executive room in the annex. We room was ok, the building a few meters down the road and we did not mind that. At first we did not notice the ventilation notice from outside. However it woke us up at six in the morning. Next to the annex is a ventilation system from a restaurant .... 6 am and a noise which stops you from sleeping. We called reception and it could not be stopped. Who would build hotel rooms there and then not even make notice canceling room doors to prevent the noise. We had a terrible stay and at check out nobody even apologized or asked how our stay was. Terrible for a four star hotel!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Kathrin80,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations, in regards to the rooms. I do apologize for the inconveniece you experienced during your stay, and I would like to emphasize that this is certainly not the norm here. We are currently looking into the feedback you provided on the noise from the generator, and are looking to resolve this.
I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at kristel@hoteldeflandre.be.

Kristel Cauterman

Been to Hotel de Flandre? Share your experiences!