“Filthy, disgusting and threatening” 1 of 5 stars

Formule 1 Ghent
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vliegtuiglaan 21, Ghent 9000, Belgium   |
Ranked #36 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Filthy, disgusting and threatening”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

How not to spend the first night of your holiday! Unfortunately we made a mistake and styayed here as a stopover on a long journey. Please do not follow our example. The room was totally outdated, disgustingly dirty with stains even on the ceiling! . Everything felt grubby and greasy. Unknowingly we had to share a toilet and shower with the other residents. I was nil by mouth for the entire stay after inspection!
The staff were helpul enough but the other guests were mainly Eastern European and obviously staying longer than we were from the smell of cooking going on in the rooms plus long residency signs such as bottles lined up in the windows like trophies. I felt unsafe staying in this 'hotel' and would implore any other would-be guests to refrain from a night in this dump. Sad to say I had the distinct impression that there were prostitutes operating in the corridors. I've travelled a lot over many years, but this experiece was truly shocking! Do not stay here!!

Room Tip: Please please please choose another budget hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Wigan, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We booked this 'hotel' as it was cheap and advertised as 'Gent.' When we arrived at Gent station, we had to get another train to 'Dampoort' and our hotel STILL wasn't on the map! (Not a good sign!) We then had to walk over 2 miles down a long, desolate road even crossing a railway line until we could go no further and reached the industrial harbour! We then spotted Formule 1 on a loop road. After our mammoth treck to find it, we were glad to finally arrive. This glad feeling lasted all of 2 minutes. When we had passed the shady looking characters hanging around outside, we went to check in and pay for our stay. We were offered a smoking or a non-smoking room (we chose non-smoking) and were offered a ground floor or first floor room (we chose first floor to be more secure) we were then told there were no non-smoking rooms available on the first floor so we had to go on the ground floor. The whole building (our room included) smelled strongly of food (bolognese in particular!!) mixed with cigarette smoke. It was very off-putting! Once we went into our room, we were shocked to find how dated it was. It was probably last decorated when it was first built! We were not expecting to have a communal toilet and shower (which I believe was stated on the booking website, but still!) There was a double bed with a single bunk bed above it, a miniature television and a scummy sink in the corner of the room. We were extremely disappointed as we had booked to stay for 3 nights! We immediately logged onto the Wi-Fi and were thankfully able to book an Ibis for the following 2 nights! I then went straight back to the check-in desk and said how we didn't want to stay for 3 nights so could I possibly get my money back. She wasn't very happy with me and said I 'should have told her before I paid' - Not sure how to complain about something before seeing it!! She then grumpily told me that the director was on site from 6am the following morning so I would need to be up early to ask him but they don't give refunds.
We escaped straight away and made the mammoth treck back to the city centre and avoided the place as long as we possibly could! We set our alarms nice and early to pack up and leave ASAP!
On a plus point, the director (although he wasn't happy with us) gave us a cash refund for the 2 nights as I told him it was simply too far away from anything and we didn't realise we didnt have our own bathroom.

I wouldn't recommend this accomodation to ANYBODY!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cologne, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I booked this hotel on a business trip to Ghent. Knowing Formule1 Hotels form other stays as clean and cheap no- frills hotels, I was kind of shocked as I arrived at my room. First, showers and toilets are to be shared with other hotel guests, which I didn't expect for the price. There are many guests, but just a few toilets and showers. The toilets and showers are in a very poor state, run down and dirty. They once had a self cleaning system, and it says they still have now but the issue is that doesn't work, but the toilets and showers you share with 100 angry construction workers aren't properly cleaned because...hey...they have a self cleaning system. The room is small, with very run down furniture and a blanket looking like a 1990ies sleeping bag. In strange colours, so one doesn't see any old rests of trucker's sperm.
Everything in that room was dirty and it was easy to tell nobody has properly cleaned the room for the last ten years. If you are out for some fun, you can make friends with the hungarian pimps who are hanging around in the lobby. Maybe they offer you a discount on one of the girls they brought with them to that lobby? Having a very hectic job over the daytime, I was so fed up with coming back to this hotel for the night I decided to leave after my second night (even with a a third one paid) and went into a more decent hotel, It might be ok for a night if you really cannot sleep in your car, but if you can do so and spare the money,

Room Tip: Sleep in a tent, in your car or under a bridge, Don't even think about going there.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Formule 1 Ghent? Share your experiences!