“Great hotel, great location” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Romance in Ghent!
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
West London
“Great hotel, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Just spent a long weekend in Ghent and picked this hotel mainly on location and we were not disappointed. Our room was very spacious (executive double) and definitely worth the price. Great location right in the middle of the historic centrum. The staff were really friendly and very helpful with recommendations of where to eat and drink etc. We would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed at the back of the hotel which was definitely quieter but not such a great view (overlooki...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Leuven, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night during a business trip. The quality of the room was quite acceptable for the price. The hotel is located quite close to the center of Ghent.

Unfortunately when checking out I was charged around 18€ for breakfast that apparently was not included. During check-in I was given a price-list and no price was specified for breakfast, only stating breakfast was available from 7 to 10am while specifying a price for every other service. I had to sign a paper when taking it, but the column for price was not filled in. Therefore I assumed it was included. I would absolutely not have taken the breakfast if I knew the price, since it was extremely limited and totally not worth it.

The service at check-out was extremely bad, since they absolutely did not want to look into this issue, only saying 'I cannot change this now' and telling me that the person who did the check-in does not normally do check-ins and probably forgot to mention that it is not included (which obviously is my fault?!).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Stevenage, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We booked 4 nights with the Romantic Package to celebrate our 44th wedding anniversary. Champagne and the amazing local chocolates were waiting for us in our room on the 2nd floor of the old building, with a magnificent view of the castle. Room 22 was spacious with a large bed, bed settee, desk ,table ,chairs and large TV with a good selection of English speaking channels included. The WiFi signal in our room was good. The bathroom had a bath with hand held shower and shower cubicle with rain and separate adjustable shower heads. There was shelving for clothes but a rail or wardrobe to hang items would have been useful.
The buffet style breakfast across the courtyard in the new building offered a good variety of fruit, cereals, meats, cheeses, pastries and some cooked items.
The staff were friendly and helpful, especially when we were faced with staying an extra night due to the Belgian rail strike!
The hotel is in a superb central location with easy walking distance to all main sites and good restaurants. Tram no 1 from outside the train station stops just a few yards away, at the castle.
We thought this was a great value stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in old building may have some road noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

We arrived in Gent/Ghent and needed a place to stay. They offered us a small suite with a queen sized bed and a couch that made into a single sized bed for a reasonable rate. We enjoyed sitting in the courtyard enjoying a drink before dinner. It was great to be so close to everything at night. We were even allowed to park at the hotel,although I do not recommend trying to drive in Old Gent - what a nightmare of one way, blocked off and irregular streets.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for business travel. The service was excellent and the room very comfortable. The staff made excellent recommendations for nearby attractions and restaurants. The chocolates delivered to my room were the best.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
College Station, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Was in Gent to meet with new colleagues at University College HUB-KAHO, colleagues selected our hotel- hotel Gravensteen. We arrived late, and despite the hour, the hotel staff were vey accommodating, friendly and so helpful. I messed up my reservations, somehow made them for a month later. the staff jumped right into action to accommodate, find a room and notify me of any cancellations so that I would have 4 contiguous days. The rooms were in section apart from the hotel, no problem. My room was cozy, quiet and comfy. I slept well and had no complaints. The front desk staff rotated throughout our stay and without fail each was so friendly and knowledgeable often helping us make reservations in restaurants, find the best chocolates or simply help us get to our destinations. The hotel was centrally located to the squares and walking distance to some gray restaurants. First rate all the way.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
grave1, General Manager at Hotel Gravensteen, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Jorge G.,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay in our hotel!
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcome you again in the near future!

Vincent De Wilde
Hotelmanager
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Hotel Gravensteen has great prices and a super central location in Gent. Easy to walk to all attractions. Beautiful lobby. Good breakfast. Comfy but run down room. The first night our roof or our tub (couldn't tell which) leaked and our floor, carpet were soaked from that point on. They gave us a free breakfast for our trouble (not a very satisfying adjustment). Staff are blase. Manager never available. Comes in late. All in all, I would probably not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
grave1, General Manager at Hotel Gravensteen, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear
Thank you for your review regarding your stay in our hotel.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in Ghent. It was also a pleasure to read your positive feedback about the location of our hotel, the lobby and our buffet breakfast.
I am sorry for the plumbing problem in your (bath)room during your stay. We have checked the room immediately after your report. We didn’t receive any complaints about this issue anymore.
I have been informed about the issue, and have been dealing with the follow up. I did not receive a request to meet each other, so I am sorry we could not catch up.
I wish to express my apologies if our staff wasn’t friendly and helpful. The entire team of Hotel Gravensteen always strive to give our guests the best experience during their stay.

I would like to thank you for your time and for sharing your experience, and hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Vincent De Wilde

Been to Hotel Gravensteen? Share your experiences!