“comfy night - but beware of the room service con!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Hamburg, Germany
“comfy night - but beware of the room service con!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

After a ten hour journey we were relieved to arrive around 9.15pm. Staff lovely, book in easy and room cool - thanks to air-con. Bed comfy, clean but towels were thin and small.
we went down to the restaurant about 9.30 to get something to eat but they were closed, told us to go to the bar, they told us to go to the restaurant and ask for room service.
No menu (or prices) available we were told but how bad could two toasted cheese sandwiches, a pint of beer and a bottle of water be?

Too tired to question lack of menu or prices - and were told don't worry about getting beer from the bar, we`ll get it for you and bring it to your room. Okay.....

Two flaccid toasted cheese and ham sandwiches arrived with a little bowl of salad - that leaked a foul smelling black liquid when I tipped it onto my plate.

We were very hungry so ate and drank and fell into bed.

Breakfast was very good and varied, and very welcome coffee on tap.

We had to go quickly because we still had a long journey ahead of us. Check out was quick - but I didn't have time to check the bill.

When I did my eyebrows hit the roof! we were charged 25 euros for the sandwiches, 10 euros for half a litre of beer, and 5 euros for a medium bottle of water - total FORTY EUROS! plus we had given her a generous tip!

I do believe this was a scam, and I feel stupid for not insisting on prices and for not checking the bill as I paid - an oily persuasive staff member for the first and exhaustion and stress for both.

I have emailed the hotel to ask for their opinion, so I`ll update this if there is any response.

Overall a good stay - very convenient for the nearness to the motorway and, generally nice, helpful staff, just feel miffed

Room Tip: the hotel is built around the central restaurant, so if you don`t want a room with no outdoor view t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Stephanie C,
Thank you for choosing our hotel to relax after your long journey and writing your opinion about us on Tripadvisor. Thanks to you we can improve our services and product where needed.
I am glad to find out you did enjoy your overall experience at our hotel because of its convenient location and the extensive breakfast. To continue your journey it is of course important to start the day off with a plentiful breakfast.
Despite these positive remarks I am so sorry to read about the issue regarding the restaurant. I do understand this situation must be very annoying to you. Our guests are always welcome at our restaurant from 6.30PM till 22PM for the à la carte restaurant, but on the day you stayed with us due to a big congress we did not have any free tables left at the restaurant. Even though we would have loved to serve you at the restaurant only room service was available that moment. All prices for the room service are displayed at the television but unfortunately this information is shared too late with you now, but please accept my apologies for nobody telling you about this. The price which was charged for your meal was correct. Our intention is absolutely not to scam our guests but make them leave with a satisfied feeling. I hope we did succeed in this by clearing out the assumptions you had through my answer on Tripadvisor. In case you would still have any questions or remarks, please feel free to contact me on my personal e-mail for more information: gm@higentexpo.com
Both my team and I would be honoured if you would give us the opportunity to welcome you again at our hotel to make your stay at Ghent a pleasant experience.
Holiday Inn Gent expo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Turkish first
Okotoks, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

We were looking for a hotel away from the centre but with easy access and parking. The from was very good, the staff very helpful and the whole atmosphere was relaxing. The breakfast buffet was more than ample. With regard to getting into the city, it was easy by either car or tram. The only 'problem' is the very roundabout way of getting to the hotel and the lack of adequate signage,although I understand that the hotel is not allowed to post larger signs,

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear RobH181799,

Thanks you for staying at our hotel and reviewing it once you were home.
Reading about your positive experience gives me a satisfied feeling. This is mainly thanks to our location and the atmosphere as you describe it.
To find our hotel it is the easiest to follow the signs saying ‘Expo’ or ‘Holiday Inn Gent Expo’. Because it is a new area it still needs some better indication but the city is definitely working on this point.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again during a visit to Ghent.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Except for being close to motorway, a really bad choice. I was enveloped in nicotine as I entered the room. They said it was a non smoking room when I phoned down to check. Service was one of disinterest. Cleanliness was not a focus. Worst holiday inn I have ever stayed in. My wife asked if a pillow could be changed which had blood on it - the answer was "only the one". Did not make for harmonious relationship, but I had just driven from Berlin and did not want to seek out alternative accommodation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear KPS1955,
Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Holiday Inn Gent Expo. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matters to our attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced.
I am very disappointed to read about the negative points which has made your stay uncomfortable such as the cigarette smell in your room. Guests who smoke do receive a fee due to not respecting the hotel its house rules. The reception team should have offered you to switch rooms in this case.
About providing you with a fresh pillow I am sure our team didn’t have bad intentions and only wanted to verify if more pillows were needed or only one.
Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Holiday Inn Gent Expo
Swanley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Quite simply I stayed her as a mid way point to travels into Northern Germany from the UK.

I arrived at 2115pm on Sunday 1st June with only 45 mins to get something to eat. The staff were helpful, polite and did not make me feel rushed which was appreciated,

I had sea bass and fries for dinner with two small glasses of a very reasonable white wine.

The bed was spacious, comfortable and clean, could not ask for more.

All in all an average surrounding area but for a stop over, very good package indeed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Garryturner,
Thank you for your positive review regarding your stay.
It’s always enjoyable to read that a guest felt comfortable straight away upon arriving in our hotel, as comfort is an important, if not, the most important aspect of your stay.
Our hotel is indeed well located, either as stopover or to visit the city centre of Ghent.
Thank you for you stay, and we hope to welcome you again in our hotel.
Gereral manager
Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This frinedly and well presented hotel has good rooms, pleasant staff and a restaurant with good dinner and breakfast options. A little way outside Ghent the nearby trolley bus service provides quick and wellp riced acces to the city centre

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Phinthyme,

Let me thank you for your stay with us and taking the time to provide us with your opinion.
I am delighted to hear about your positive experience with our staff and dining facilities. If you want to discover the beautiful historic town of Ghent we recommend using tramline number 1. The tram gets into Ghent very frequent and tickets can be bought at the Front Desk to make your trip to Ghent as easy as possible.
I do hope to have you again as a guest in our hotel in the future.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

After a nightmare journey from auto route to hotel due to roadworks we eventually arrived to a friendly welcome at reception. We were allowed to park directly outside reception and we had a large room on 3rd floor. The room was spotless and very comfotable. We enjoyed an aperitif in the bar and had a leisurely buffet meal in the atrium, again with great service.
Breakfast next morning was very good value.
I would highly reccomend this hotel for service and value.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Geoff C,

It is a please to find out about your last stay at our hotel. I would like to thank you for sharing your opinion on Tripadvisor. To find our hotel we strongly advise our guests to follow the signs ‘Expo’ or ‘Holiday Inn Gent Expo’ instead of following the GPS since it is a new area.
Thank you again to compliment the services provided at Holiday Inn Gent Expo and the dishes.
I hope to have you again in our hotel as a guests during your next visit to Gent.
Den Haag, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Upon late arrival, I encountered a concert (party) in the restaurant (at the same time hotel lobby). This was loud to such an extent that it was unable to hear the receptionist while checking in. The room I got (last available one in the hotel) was looking at the restaurant lobby, and i could "enjoy" the concert free of charge in my room. After the concert stopped, the elevator sounds (next to the room) followed up...

Needless to say, the staff was not able to give me another room as the hotel was full, and mumbled a standard "sorry". Luckily this was "just" a business trip so I was not with my baby.

Room Tip: Chose "Sandton" - same price category (though in the city center), but much friendlier per...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Ivan M,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We informed all of our guests about the private party in the hotel. We would like to apologize that the hotel was completely full at the moment of your stay. This is very exceptionally that we had a performance and only for 1 hour. We apologize for the extra noise.
Our guests’ opinion is of great importance so the next time you’ll be visiting us, never doubt to raise any kind of problems to our Manager of Duty at the Front Desk. We hope to welcome you again at our hotel in the future.
Yours sincerely
Thomas Van Parijs

Been to Holiday Inn Gent Expo? Share your experiences!