“Great surprising food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Lemmer, The Netherlands
“Great surprising food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Good opportunity to try some less common meats, like kangaroo, crocodile and ostrich, or a combination with the 'mixed brochette'. The entrees are also of good quality. The requested wine came from the basement and was too cold, but they came to our table to ask us to feel the bottle and decide ourselves, the wine menu had enough alternatives.

Visited December 2012

chicago, il
“Interesting, well-made food. A gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Very surprised to see how low this was on the TripAdvisor. Found out about it through a reporter's travel clip. Food was EXCELLENT--fennel soup and reindeer steak. They also serve other unusual game meat--ostrich, crocodile. Probably the best meal I had in all of Belgium. Service was okay, but the food far outweighed any issues we encountered. You have to check it out if you are in Gent!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Bad experience / slechte ervaring”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

In short: mistakes on the bill, charged an entree as a main dish without asking, got very sick after eating here, Mojito tasted like rum and ice, slow service.

I wasn't really hungry and decided for an entree (small salad) and a creme brullee as desert. My boyfriend had an African style main course (which was okay).....my salad (the ''chef's salad'') consisted out of a medium plate of green leaves, a few cucumber slices, about 10 pine nuts, about 7 capers, tiny amount of parmezan, some oil, peper & salt. It costed €9, but okay, I knew it would be a simple salad.

As the bill came we saw they charged €15 for this tiny salad!! Also they charged €6 for a small bottle of water!! Off course we friendly asked to correct the bill. The lady who handled it said the price for the water was a mistake (okay this can happen), but about the salad she said that I had ordered it as a main. I had clearly not! I did not ask for this dish as a main, nor did the waiter ask me if I wanted it as a main. It also was só small that it also did not occur to me that it could have been served as a main. I finished it in no-time and it could not have been smaller. I explained this to the lady and she commented with something like: ''it could be like this or like that'', like the waiter claimed something else and she wouldn't believe me, or something. Ridiculous! Anyway the corrected the bill, but as we left the goodbye was odd and left us feeling like it was our mistake.

Further more:
- my boyfriend had a ''Mojito'' cocktail which tasted like rum with ice.
- we often had to wait long before we got served.
- after eating there I got sick and I spend a great part of the night on the toilet with painfull bowelcramps and dripping with sweat. (We did not eat anywhere else before or after.)

If you have a look through my reviews you can see I generaly rate very positively and I am not a fussy person. But this restaurant deserves a bad review in my opinion.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“A very good gentse waterzooi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We went there for dinner with some friends. I took a gentse waterzooi: a soup with cream, potatoes, vegetables, and fish. It was extremely good. In the menu there where a several dishes from all continents, including (from what I could understand from Flemish) kangaroo meat and crocodile meat. But everyone at our table took some "standard" Belgian dish, therefore I cannot comment on the exotic dishes.
I also had a Westvleteren 12... it is a beer you should definitely try!!

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great Food. Especially the "Gentse waterzooi" with Salmon!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

Great Food. Especially the "Gentse waterzooi" with Salmon!