“Appallingly rude, terrible misinformation” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 17 things to do in Dinant
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Opening hoursHigh season(From Easter holidays until autumn holidays + Christmas holidays + spring break):Open from Tuesday until Sunday 11 am - 7 pm.Low season(After Christmas holidays until before Easter holidays ):Open from Friday until Sunday 11h00 - 19h00.
Paris, France
“Appallingly rude, terrible misinformation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I checked and double-checked their website to make sure that they would be open, since it's quite a diversion from any main destinations. The website said that the Maison should be open outside its limited hours during the Christmas season. I thought it was safe to assume that "Christmas season" included the week before Christmas, which is when we went. The sign on the outside of the building said the same thing.

It didn't look promising when we got there, but a man pulled in next to our car and went into the building beside the main entrance. When we asked him if it was open, he said yes, just knock. We knock. And knock. And knock some more, all while making eye contact with a man inside the main building. He looked away, ignoring us, and the first man had to come around and open it up to let us in.

Once inside, he got a staff member, some woman who came out with an espresso cup in her hand and a fat wad of bread in her mouth and other hand. Still chewing, she asks us what we want.

"We were wondering if the Maison was open?"
"If WHAT is open? We are many things: a brewery, a hotel, a restaurant..."
"Pardon, the guided tour for the brewery."
"No, it's closed."
"So no part of the building is open for us to just see and maybe take a picture?"
"No, and I have things to do!"

I dearly wish I could have doused her with the espresso! She said that to us, verbatim. Not a civil "no, I'm sorry for the confusion." I would have been okay if she just said again, "I am sorry, please come back another time." At least she deigned to let us buy something from the gift shop, though she didn't even turn on the lights for us to see the products. She offered to get a new box for my sister instead of the display one, but came back after disappearing into the storage area for ten seconds to say (again, verbatim, and utterly lacking in manners): "The box is very far, so just this (display) one."

I don't know if management reads reviews, but good God this was one of the worst "conversations" I've ever had with a person.

Visited December 2013

Brussels, Belgium
“Fantastic visit for beer lovers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is the museum of Leffe beer where we can learn not only Leffe but also Belgium beer history and their old lives in abbey. There is no tour guide but we individually learn a lot from the interactive video displays with a selection of language (ENG, French, Dutch). Besides, we experienced draft beer tasting (3 small glasses) and received a normal size Leffe glass as a souvenir. What's surprising is it costs only 7 Euro! I believe our experience are definitely worth more than that. We really enjoyed this place much more than Citadel visit in Dinant.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
49 attraction reviews
“We just went directly to taste the beer-I wish I'd gone around the Museum too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The museum building is interesting and quite old. The receptionist was described in the comments book as being rude. However, one of my friends is French Belgian, and was discussing with her whether we could skip the Museum, and just do some beer tasting. The receptionist agreed, and she seemed nice enough to me. She opened the doors to a luxurious bar, with huge leather sofas and brought us whichever beers we wanted to try, we even got some nibbles thrown in too. I’m not sure how many different beers there were, but we tried Radieuse (good), Royale (also good), 9 (also good) and I seem to remember also trying Triple (at least as good as the others and maybe better). We were only supposed to try 3, but we somehow got to try 4. We had the bar to ourselves for about 20 minutes, and it was just great. Another friend joined us and told me that the Museum was really good. You get a card in the language of your choice, and you use it at various places to learn the different aspects of the brewing process. So, what I can say is the beer tasting was fantastic, and when I go back to Dinant, I will see the museum too.

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“brilliant place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

A very informative museum which provides interactive audio visual displays. There is a huge amount of information about the original Abbey, the life and times of the Monks and a lot of detail about the beer process and the range of leffe beers.
The museum is housed in a former convent which has been sympathetically refurbished.
On entering you are greeted by a hostess who explains what you can do and see in the museum. There is no guided tour however the use of the audio visual displays is explained. There is an introductory film in English before you go round the main room. You could spend as little or as much time going round the main room as you wish.
After the tour you are given a beer tasting in a separate part of the museum. There are usually 3 tasters to sample.
Before you leave you are given a gift box containing a leffe glass.
There is a beautifully laid out restaurant in the quadrant which can be booked. There is also a lovely garden where you can sit out and enjoy the fantastic views of the river Meuse and the town below.
The museum is excellent value and the hostess and bar staff were extremely amenable and helpful. At 7 Euros it is great value. The building alone is worth the entry fee. Open from 11 am to 7 pm most days.
A brilliant 2 hours spent. Please go if you love beer and you like monastic buildings. It is a 10 minute picturesque walk from the cathedral on the other side of the river.

Panama City, Florida
275 attraction reviews
“Wonderful 1-2 hour diversion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is basically a museum dedicated to the history of Leffe beer. This is not the Leffe Abbey and no brewing takes place here but it is housed in an old monastery. There is also a hotel and restaurant unaffiliated with Leffe but located in the same monastery grounds/buildings. The tour was tremendous. Very informative and self-guided in English, Dutch or French. Great mix of history and technology. At the end of the tour, you get nice sample glasses of 3 Leffe beers. Plus as you leave they give you a Leffe chalice as a gift. So you pay 7 euros for the tour but get to try 3 beers plus get a free glass. Well worth a stop if you are in Dinant. The days they are open vary by season but the times are generally 11.00 t0 19.00. I did not try to food at the restaurant but it looked great and the setting is beautiful in the old abbey. Kids are okay. Location is easily walkable from downtown Dinant.

Visited September 2013