“Although prepaid, room was not available” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
EARLY BOOKING - UP TO 30%
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Charleroi
Marktbreit, Germany
“Although prepaid, room was not available”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I booked the Ibis hotel in the Charleroi city centre for me and my colleague, but upon our arrival at around midnight the receptionist told us there was just one room left. Strange, because we had a prepaid rate (€ 79 net per night excl. breakfast). We decided my colleague would stay there and I was sent to the Etap, a 15 minutes drive away. As a compensation, they allowed me to use their secured parking and arranged cost-free taxis to go to the Etap and to bring me back the next morning. Nevertheless, not a good experience!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dimitrioibis, Directeur général at Ibis Charleroi Centre Gare, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Dear Sir, Madam,

We received your comments relating to your recent stay at the Ibis Charleroi Hotel, we would like to thank you for having spent the time in putting them on Trip Advisor.
Your complained gives us the opportunity to do better our professional job and to make the difference.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel for the problem that occurs with your reservation.
We made a mistake in the reservations and when we noticed it, we directly get a solution by finding for you an other hotel located in the same area.
We took in charge the extra costs due to our mistake by exemple the taxi costs.
I'm sorry, but the rate of 79€ is not a pre paid rate. If it has been the case, we would have refunded that amount to you.

Please be sure that such an experience will not happen anymore. We hope to see you for your next stay at Charleroi.

Dimitrio Virone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

The room was fine although the corridors were narrow in the hallways. The breakfast was expensive at €13 per adult. The location was excellent and directly across from the bus depot, tramlines and the mainline Charleroi train station. The Ibis Charleroi Centre Gare, Quai de Flandre, 12, Charleroi 6000, Belgium is a reasonable 3 star hotel in a convenient location. We also recommend the Chinese restaurant nearby.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Sir, Madam,

First of all, I would like to thank you for the time you took by putting your comments on Trip Advisor.

I'm happy to read that the location was suitable for you.

The Ibis Chain is standardised in order to guarantee the same level of service and quality everywhere in the world.

Regarding the breakfast, you could find it expensive, but we propose a wide range of different products. We bring each month a product into favour. For instance, next month you may eat a large choice of pancake.

We are happy you enjoy the chinese restaurant we suggest you.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I will never use another Ibis Hotel after this. They cancelled our booking without prior notice, but still were happy to take our payment in advance. We only learned that they cancelled our booking when we arrived at the hotel at 9.30pm, where we then had to find alternative accomodation. There were several others in the same position as us, they obviously have no interest in customer satisfaction. To not even tell us prior to our arrival was just terrible service. To make it worse the hotel they rebooked us in was cheaper, but no refund of the difference!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We staid in the hotel for one night because we had an early morning flight from Charleroi airport. Location is good, near the tran station, so easy to reach. It was not possible to book a room for two adults and two children. Aa our children are small I then booked a room for two adults and one children (One can sleep between parents in their bed). When we arrived the hotel they did not want to let as check in as they saw two children but finally they did. When we arrived the room, we saw that the one child extra bed is about 1.4 m wide and with 2 pillows and blankets - so I do not understand why they do not allow two children in on room.
We had an non smoking room (non smoking floor) but there was very strong smoke everywhere especially in the corridor. the whole hotel had on bad smell.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dimitrioibis, Directeur général at Ibis Charleroi Centre Gare, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear Sir, Madam,

First of all i would like to thank you for the time you took in order to give us your feeling.
On the website, it is not possible to reserve for 2 adults and 2 children, but you can always contact our hotel in order to ask us if family rooms are available.
If available, for sure, we will book it for you. for security reason, we prefer that each guest has his own bed.
I would like to apologize for the inconvenience occurs at the check in. Be sure that I already spoke with my colleague regarding that issue. Our wish is to adapt us to our guest in order to provide theme the best service.

Regarding the bad smell in the room, please be sure that the housekeeping department is working on it by using natural products.

I hope to see you in our hotel at your next trip in charleroi.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Thin walls, malfunctioning aircon and with the most uncomfortable pillows I have ever come across, the Ibis Charleroi would not be a destination of choice except I had a ridiculously early flight the next morning and everywhere else seemed to be booked.

However the rate was cheap, the room clean (just don't expect tea/coffee facilities, decent toiletries or free wifi) and the hotel is 20 minutes by bus from Charleroi Airport (which departs from across the road and costss €3 one way).

Just try and get a room at the back of the hotel away from the traffic noise.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Dear Sir,

First of all, I would like to thank for the time you took in order to give us your feeling.

The Ibis chain is an econiomic brand which want to provide the best value for money.
For sure, you will not have coffee and tea facilities in the room because it is a standard from our brand, but the bar is open 24hours a day if you want to drink or to eat something at anytime.

You have toiletries in the shower and at the sink.

Wireless intrnet is free of charge everywhere in the hotel, but guests has to ask at the reception for a password.

Please be sure that we do our best in order to avoid all external noise, but has we are located in the heart of the city, it occurs that you could ear some noice from the traffic.

ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night as I had to catch a very early flight the next morning. I had not prebooked nevertheless there was a room available. The room was spotlessly clean, bed was very comfortable, rooms arent soundproof................someone next door was watching/ streaming a football match...that I could have done without, however the young man on reception was very helpful and polite, I had a light meal probably microwaved and adessert with coffee, it was ok. This hotel is ideal for the airport etc.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I arrived at 22.30 and they told me that they no longer have the room I reserved, they are all full! No apology, No compensation.

They did put me in a taxi to a very poor quality budget hotel several Kilometres outside of town, where the only food and drink available was a vending machine with soft drinks and sweets!

The taxi driver told me that this happens so often that they even have an account and specific paperwork with the taxi company for these "transfers". I booked here because it was next to the station and ended up many kilometres away with snickers for dinner!

Room Tip: book another hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dimitrioibis, Directeur général at Ibis Charleroi Centre Gare, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear sir, Madam,

First of all, I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel for the inconvenience occured.
Be sure that we are very sorry for that.

We are working everyday with our team in order to provide the best service to our client.

I agree with you that such a mistake should not happen. But for the date you are talking about, an unexpected event occured and when we noticed it, it was unfortinatelly too late.
As soon as we notice it we look for you for an alternative. It is the reason why we made all we could to provide you a correct room.

I promise you that such a problem will not occure anymore in the future.

General Manager.

Been to Ibis Charleroi Centre Gare? Share your experiences!