“decent nights sleep” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 9 hotels in Charleroi
London, United Kingdom
“decent nights sleep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

for a real real budget sleep experience this is sufficient. basin in the room is good, lower bed is comfy, dont know about the upper bunk. could do with more power points....the automated plastic shower cubicle is annoying though. breakfast was better than expected. a straight in/out experience

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Eastern Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Because I had just one day in a stopover, I thought to go to Brussels, then decided to visit the town of the airport- Charleroi. It was easy to get a cheap bus from the airport. I went straight to the tourist information office at the train/bus terminal. Although the lady there had a horrible cold and was relatively busy, she took lots of time to help me with my options. She seemed surprised and pleased that I had chosen to spend my day there. I left with good directions and pamphlets of local interest. It was snowy and cold but the city is small and compact, with another tourist info office right in the town square. I was able to leave my suitcase there until closing.
I visited the art school/gallery,museum, cathedral, walked the technical school area(unfortunately, there was no showing at the time). A very attractive and friendly town in my experience.
Formula 1 was the least expensive option for a hotel (less than E50 for 2- breakfast extra and not worth it)) and I had to take a bus. A man who spoke some English walked me to the correct bus stand(because it was a weekend the bus did not leave from its usual place) and waited to speak with the driver. The driver dropped me right across the road from the hotel, cautioned me to take care of my belongings and not wander at night.
The receptionist, male, explained that the washrooms and showers were shared, and that I could access hot water for tea 24 hours free from the coffee machine. There would someone manning the desk all night. As there was a phone in the room I could have a wake up call. Both receptionists spoke perfect English and were more than helpful. They have an agreement with a local cab company to the airport for a reasonable rate.

Room Tip: My room was nonsmoking and I am sensitive to smoke so was apprehensive in this budget hotel, but no...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My boyfriend and i had planned to stay in this hotel the night before an early airport departure from the nearby airport.On arrival the receptionist informed us that the showers and toilets were communal.We were only staying there for the night so we decided to just go ahead and check in.He then told us that we had not payed anything and that he had no record of our booking even though we had a reference number and had booked it through bookings.com.We told him that we had payed and he kept on denying it and trying to get us to pay again.We left the hotel refusing to pay again after getting a really bad unsafe feeling from the place as the tiny reception was full of sleezy dodgy looking people which were also walking up and down outside the hotel.We felt very unsafe and the hotel is on its own in a very unsafe area to make matters worse.When we arrived home we checked our credit card balance and we had paid so they took our money in this scam.He even asked us if we wanted a taxi to the airport at a price which we later found was 3 x the amount of the normal price.This hotel was awful.I would definetly not recommend it! This hotel was a NIGHTMARE!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brno, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We spent one night in this object in June 2012.

It was what I expected: small size rooms with realtively comfy bed, shared showers and toilets (which were clean), sleeping without any disturbing voices. Breakfast was simple, it was same like in other objects in this category. Check-in and check-out was quick and with no problems, staff was pleasant.

We used this object just for sleeping for one night - next morning we were heading to Brussels, so I can't say anything about location.

I would reccommend this object to everyone who looks accommodation for one night during travels to the other destinations. It's simple, but good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Brno, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We've chosen this hotel for our journey to Brussels via Charleroi Airport. The journey from the airport was quite difficult - there's no direct line, so you need to change between the lines in the shabby Charleroi centre - you spend 4,7€ to get there. The hotel itself wasn't bad, but it was quite untidy. What's more, the bed smelled from cigarettes and I wasn't really sure if all the cleanliness was as it should had been, but not a disaster. Shower and WC facilities all right. Don't buy coffee in the machine downstairs - not worth it at all. About 15 minutes by foot to a supermarket in centre of Gosselies, but be aware - all the shops in Gosselies close at 8 p.m. An advice for travellers to Brussels: 15-minutes by foot is located the Courcelles-Motte rail station (turn left on the main road in front of the hotel) with good connection to Brussels with one change in Luttre. (check www.sncb.be) The ticket costs 7,3€ (9€ from Charleroi Sud) and is available at the conductor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Douglas, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great value for price , no coffee etc in room but coffee machine downstairs, If you wont a cheap room for the night this is the place to be, only 10 mins from airport . Secure parking, garage 2 mins away as is restaurant , very very basic room

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ghent, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I booked to catch an early plane in Charleroi. The pillow and sheets smelled like an ashtray, it was horrible. My guess is that someone, somewhere, sometime smoked in that room and the smell went into the beds but they didn't bother to change the matress, nor the pillows so you feel like you sleep in an ashtray.
Don't go there!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Formule 1 Charleroi? Share your experiences!