“always happy with the place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #777 of 2,306 restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“always happy with the place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We dine there from time to time and always say while leaving that we should go there more often. Are we just lucky and the other reviewers not? The service is good enough, some waiters are better then the others, but really nothing to complain about. And food is always excellent, even for a high Brussels standards. Always great and well-balanced taste and nice presentation, without being over-original it's never boring both for the eyes and taste buds. The only 2 negative things I can remember is a really slow service that happened once in 2 years (but then the restaurant was full and we were with a baby, so didn't have much time) and once the bathroom was quite chilly. Everything else is pretty close to perfection.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
“Good food, slow service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We visited as a group of 12 earlier this week. There were 2 very nice but overworked girls serving our table and many others, and unfortunately this impacted on the enjoyment of the evening. The food itself was very good, mushroom risotto and steamed perch for me.. :)

Visited September 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Sadly, quelity and sevice have gone down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Went there a few times in the past and was generally happy, even if price-wise it has never been cheap. However, my wife and I went there to celebrate something a few weeks ago we were very disappointed. The quality of food has gown down (the stake, ordered rare was rather well-cooked), the other dishes were not impressive either. Service was slow and unattentive. We has called to reserve a "nice table" but, despite the restaurant being only half full (i.e. half empty), they put us at a table next to the sliding exit door that would be opened virtually every 30 seconds (people going to the loo, people getting in and out etc), it was a cold evening and thus it wasn't pleasant to seat there. The bill was, as usual, a bit pricey, but tis time this was not justified at all. I am not sure that we will go there again anytime soon.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Classy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Once you've figured out parking (on Blvd General Jacques), you can make your way to the restaurant. I immediately like the fact that first thing you see as you enter is the kitchen to your right. It is always nice to get a glimpse of the chefs at work.

Inside is a lovely restaurant that extends over three floors. The layout is such that decent space is given between tables which is perfect to have a conversation without having to share with half the restaurant.

Now for the food. I've been twice and always thoroughly enjoyed my starter and main, but seem to have never been lucky with dessert.
This time round I had the risotto followed by the Irish beef with morilles mushrooms. My partner and friends mostly opted for fish, so I got to taste that too. All of it was great, though nothing that would warrant any greater superlatives. The produce is fresh, the cooking is good and the presentation is tidy.

As for dessert, I opted for the creme catalane but it simply didn't hit the spot. I remember having the same impression last I went (a fondant au chocolat that time round).

Overall a pleasant experience. Good for a night out with friends and above average food. Service is decent too.
A downside is a menu that doesn't change much (at all? I seemed to find the dishes incredibly similar to what i remembered having two years back).

Visited April 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Good, yet a couple of steps away from Excellent...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner here in early May as a couple, having seen the place in the RestoPass booklet.
The staff is really welcoming and service throughout the evening was very nice and attentive (although the wine was served out during and in between the courses at a rather fast pace).

The food (starter, mains and desert) is very good, but the starter "tartare royale" didn't live up to its expectations: despite its name the size is disappointing and it could do with some more seasoning (but that's personal). The combination of St. Jacques, salmon and foie gras is good though!

Overall we enjoyed the evening but the price is a bit steep to merit an "Excellent" review.

Visited May 2013