“Nice atmosphere, horrible service” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice atmosphere, horrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I went to the restaurant on a Monday night and my partner and me where amazed by the very warm atmosphere. Unfortunately it was the only good thing about the place. We've been served by a rude waitress, who never smiled at us and was obviously annoyed by our questions. The food was nothing special and very expensive, too.
We spent 80 euros for a tiny portion of cheese croquettes and moules frites to share, a bottle of house wine and 2 coffees. Far too much for a barely acceptable dinner.

• 2 of 5 stars Food

61% Recommend
Royal Oak, Michigan
“Terrific all around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I was on my way to be boring and go to Hard Rock Brussels for dinner. It was too crowded so I kept going and this restaurant was the next one. It was a quiet nice atmosphere and the food was excellent. I had lamb shank and a delicious vegetable soup. There was one waiter for the whole floor but he did well. I liked this place quite a bit.

Beverley, United Kingdom
“Top hat service in a top hat restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was in Brussels on business recently, staying at a hotel not far from the Grand Place. I went for a stroll round and saw numerous restaurants and was having difficulty choosing. I saw that Les Chapeliers was having an Alsace special week so decided to try it.
The food was exquisite and very well presented, I started with Foie Gras de Canard then on to a lamb shank braised in red wine. The wine was reasonably priced and I even got a complimentary Calvados to accompany the Tarte Tatin.
Service was excellent but I think speaking French helped.

Would definitely recommend this.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Wroclaw, Poland
“Nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I was in Les chapeliers last year but for a boring business dinner, however I remember good food, nice atmosphere and the environment & friendly waiters. This time I went there for private dinner in a good company. The food was nice, a bit pricey. Yes, we had to wait quite long for food but in a nice company + beer I didn't mind. The venue is obviously gay-friendly wchis is a big advantage for me and french speakers friendly :-) - I know restaurants in Brussels where service is horrible if you order in english. Luckily enough I speak french.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Turin, Piemonte, Italy
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had a fabulous lunch there. I took an exquisite chicken waterzooi, really mouth-watering. My brother had a sausage and potato mash, and our friend some lamb which was absolutely delicious, in her words. I had also a dessert, the Gauffres with cream, which were perhaps not really light, but worth tasting! Friendly service and special atmosphere.

• 5 of 5 stars Food