“Crowded freindly and great food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Crowded freindly and great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

They cram a lot of people into this small dinig room butso what it was great

We had a comedic aussie near us whose humour was smart but not as quick as ours and then a Belgian and his lovely girlfriend also sharing today as a birthday with Alex our 25 year old daughter.

Food very well put together, clam croquettes were divine , the rillettes salty but tasty, and the shrip with onion and a cream were subly excellent.

Mains followed, with Black pudding but this is Boudin Noire and was really very flavour full. The veal with mushrooms was tender and melting as was the steak, one of us had chicken (not me) and it was OK.

Desserts were fine, Dame Blanche was good and the chocolate sauce was not too rich, Waffles with chocolate and caramel sauces were very good and freshly made.

Wine pricey uneccessarily but you have a choice

Highly recommended.

Visited October 2012

62% Recommend
New York City, New York
“great location, delicious food, good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I ate alone here one of my first night's in Belgium on business, and had a great experience! I got a table outside on a rare nice night, and had a clear view of the church right in the Place. The waitress was very good about explaining the menu of the day to me (which was only in French) and I ended up ordering an appetizer and entree from that menu. I was disappointed that they were out of the fish (I ate pretty late for Belgium) but when my chicken came, I decided it was fate that they were out of fish...the dish was SOOO good. They served a half chicken cooked in a pot with juices and mushrooms, with a side of crusty bread to dip into the delicious sauce. Half-way through, I was full (since the appetizer had been so amazing as well) but I really didn't want to stop eating because I didn't want any tasty morsel to go to waste! They had a short selection of house wine by the glass, but I got a good full-bodied red that served its purpose. The atmosphere was relaxing, the food was amazing, and I would have gone back at least one more time, except I think they went on vacation because it was closed the whole next week I was there :(

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Athens, Greece
“Quite nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

We decided to go to this restaurant because our book guide suggested it. It also had it marked with two $$ which is what we could afford. After checking the prices they were not average but would say quite high. The food was good, but did not worth the money.
Waitress could speak english and she happily translated the french dishes for us.
Overall experience, was very good but pricey.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sardinia, Italy
“pricey, but service was bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I was served by two rather inexperienced waitresses who were slow and not professional. Cookding technique was standard (so, not particularly amazing). The kitchen did not coordinate with the waitresses so when they brought my food it was already cold. I can't believe that it was a slow food place as I felt rather stressful dining over there despite the nice jazzy music in the background. The toilet was not clean either. I would not recommend this place to any foodie, especially if you have little money in your pocket at the moment.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London
“Cosy and atmospheric”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Good food, nice decor, friendly service. Not touristy. A bit expensive. They need to sort out the smell from the plumbing.

• Visited February 2012