“Authentic Belgian Food on the Grande Place.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #207 of 2,489 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Local cuisine
Fort Collins, CO
“Authentic Belgian Food on the Grande Place.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Located in a cellar adjoining the Grande Place, this restaurant has character and food to match its prime location. The stoemp (Belgian mashed potatoes) is not to be missed and available in several varieties with meats and fish. There are mouth-watering old favorites like Chicken Waterzooi (creamy vegetables over chicken), Chicken vol-au-vent (chicken in puff pastry) and Flammandes (tender beef stewed in beer). I try to stop here any time I visit Brussels.

Visited May 2013

• Greek first
“Where not to eat”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Expensive, rude service & appalling food. Overnight cooked chips. Cold tasteless stew (which was recommended!) though an excellent location.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Tokyo
“Arrogant and Discriminating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We were decently waiting at the entrance until the table was cleaned up, but some other european group came in and escorted to the table where we were supposed to sit at. The restaurant may have been too busy to see the situation, so I claimed to the floor manager, but I was told just to go to the other restaurant without any apologies for their mistake. As Japanese we strongly felt like we were discriminated and never dealt with as client. Some comments in this site say positive about this restaurant, but I would never go to this place again. The most uncomfortable and disgusting experience in any restaurants I have visited in the world. (May 31, 2013)

Visited May 2013
gr
“not much impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Just a good choise for a beer and a light lunch at the Grand Place. The outdoor tables are pittoresque and from there you can enjoy the view. The place of cource unique but the quality of the food not what I expected. Due to the location, pricey enough! Generally, only for tourists!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Not fancy pants and all the more memorable for it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Ducked in here for lunch and left with the glow that only comes from feeding your soul. Service was personable, friendly and competent. It seemed brisk but they never rushed anyone and seemed genuinely glad to feed the happy mix of locals and tourists. I had the stoemp with sausages and bacon--I don't know what they put in it (it was dark) but it was savory, pillowy heaven--and a Chimay Bleue and I'm still thinking about it. The portion was enormous but I ate it all and I noticed no one around me left food on their plates either. My mother had frog's legs which she declared were perfect: tiny, garlicky, buttery. The setting is not the attraction--it really is a dark cave--but the atmosphere was the personification of bonhomie. I wish I had had time to go back before I left...

• Visited April 2013